SAU Community

pics of diff. what the hell is it?

Pics worked fine for me, but they are certainly big :)

Looks like a clutch centre LSD, but the pics of ends of the pinion carrier don't have the appearance of a Nissan centre (sorry, hard to explain) - possibly something from an aftermarket manufacturere (eg Kaaz or similar).

Anyway, definately a clutch pack LSD.

cool, how much do they ruffly cost?

New ??, haven't looked lately but certainly $1K+

Secondhand - depends on condition, not to mention what buyers will pay :(. Someone was selling an R32 LSD diff (complete) here recently and wanted $500 - don't know whether it sold or not. Your diff seems to have 'problems' from what you've said (sorry, maybe I've read wrong), so that affects the price.

well im gonna take it to a diff plkace this arvo and get it checked out.

ill let you's know the results.

someone form another forum reckons i should open it up and see what the actuall diff insde looks like.

if the diff itself tersts fine, ill open her up and look for a label and take some pics.

steve

hey, i open her up last night and there isnt any damage.

there was about 6 flat plates and 2 springy plates on each side of the spider gears.

i didnt get a chance to take pics, but i can draw up a diagram if needed.

does this mean its adjustable if i remove some of the plates?

steve

hey, i open her up last night and there isnt any damage.

there was about 6 flat plates and 2 springy plates on each side of the spider gears.

i didnt get a chance to take pics, but i can draw up a diagram if needed.

does this mean its adjustable if i remove some of the plates?

steve

Based only on the number of plates, it sounds like it's been shimmed tight. In standard form there are a total of 6 plated either side of the spider carrier. But it's important to note that it's not just a question of the number of plates, but the thickness of some of the plates as well.

It would have been better if you'd measured the break-away torque before disassembling the centre. In stock form Nissan factory mechanical LSD's have quite a low break-away torque (only around 30ftlb). Normally we add one plate which brings that up to at least 80ftlb.

Measuring the break-away torque is relatively simple, but you need access to good torque wrench, plus some sort of adaptor to the stub axles. Probably best to get someone to do it if you don't have the experience.

ok just got home nd checked it out, it doesnt haave any markings on it, and it isnt a kaaz diff.

there are some diiferances in the kaaz pic to this one.

this one has 4 plates on each side plus 2 spring plates which makes it a total of 6 plates on each side.

steve