Jaycar Boost and Fuel Control

Sydneykid

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the help people, DFA installed and working finally.

Now to the IEBC, installed to to my car, hand controller working great, put in SK inputs just to see what it does, BOOSTing way too high, I have no control over boost at all, input make no difference, have to drive home slow so it will not over boost?  HELP

Here are a couple of diagrams 1 wirering, 2 hoses.

Any ideas is it conected wrong? I have only taped into the ecu wires, is this right?

You have the vent (restrictor) in the wrong hose, it needs to go in the vent hose (that's the red one) not in the hose to the wastegate actuator (that's the yellow one). No wonder it doesn't work, all of the boost is going straight into the inlet, the vent (restrictor) is limiting the airflow to the wastegate actuator so it is not opening the wastegate.

Take the vent out of the hose to the wastegate actuator (that's the yellow one) and put it in the hose to the turbo inlet (that's the red one). Then you will get airflow to the wastegate actuator which will open the wastegate and control the boost.

:rolleyes: cheers :unsure:

PS; I suggest you remove the diagram from the previous post as it will confuse other people and they may copy the wrong way.

Edited by Sydneykid

Hey people, I took the car for a drive even without the P&H kit connected as SK suggested and surprisingly enough input ranges from 1-64 throughout the whole revrange! :D

I'm still not getting any boost control though. :( The attached picture shows exactly how my set up is done except I've got lines 8 and 9 switched around. So I had the line from the intake manifold going into the right side port of the solenoid, and the left side port was connected to the T-piece. With the left side of the T-piece going to the wastegate and the right side going towards the air intake. Having a look at your pictures though, and the picture posted up before, I don't seem to have any "restrictor" in my setup. Am I suppose to have one?

Well with the stock T-piece I was getting unlimited boost (would have gone over 20psi if we didn't stop) and I had no control whatsoever over boost, even if I put 100% output through all 64 load points. We then used a ~1.75mm vent size (original t-piece was around 4mm!) and boost was then restricted to only 13/14psi and wouldn't not go over that, still no control over boost. A 2mm vent size was used next and boost was now a peak value of 17/18psi and still no luck controlling boost. What I did was had the LOW setting with 100% output throughout all 64 load points and on HIGH setting it was 0% output throughout all 64 low points. With all 3 vent sizes switching between LOW and HIGH made no difference.

Any idea on what could be wrong? I was inclined to think there was something wrong with the construction of the unit but I was thinking that if one component didn't work properly then the whole unit shouldn't work all together. I then thought it may have been the solenoid that was faulty but having the LOW at all 100% and HIGH at all 0% switching between the two while the engine was on showed that the solenoid was working, it was clicking everytime we switched from HIGH to LOW and vice versa.

Also I've got a Bosch 984 fuel pump and a Sard FPR set at 38psi base pressure so I don't think I may have done too much damage (if any), and we were only at 17/18psi for a few seconds total maximum. Hehe I'm not that stupid, I hope. :blink:

Thanks people! I really do appreciate everyones help. :)

EDIT: Maybe adding the picture would actually help. *smacks head* :P

post-8121-1124465633.jpg

Edited by OnGsTa

That vacuum circuit is a parrallel solenoid style, the IEBC uses a serial solenoid system. I would post up a picture on how to modify the circuit but I can't get the upload to work. I get this error report;

Error creating thumbnail! Error code: 127

Command:

"/usr/bin/X11/mogrify" +profile "*" -size 200x168 -quality 70 -geometry 200x168 -unsharp 10 '/home/websites/93/www.skylinesaustralia.com/photopost/data/500/thumbs/Unknown_Wastegate_circuit.jpg'

So the best I can do is repost this

IEBC_Hose_Layout.jpg

I have also put some dots on the part of the vacuum circuit that you posted, you simply join the dots.

Put the hose with the red dot on it onto the solenoid where the matching red dot is

Put the hose with blue dot on it into the T piece where the matching blue dot is

The yellow dot shows the end of the T piece where the vent (restrictor should go)

post-1903-1124489503.jpg

:P cheers :blink:

Edited by Sydneykid

Thanks again SK,

So does that mean I'll have the original line/hose 5 removed completely from the circuit? Or would I use that to now connect the yellow dot back to the air intake?

Also, when you said restrictor you just mean the vent size yeah? So if I was using a T-piece there it'd just be the end that I've soldered and drilled to 2mm?

Thanks for your help buddy. :P

Thanks again SK,

So does that mean I'll have the original line/hose 5 removed completely from the circuit? Or would I use that to now connect the yellow dot back to the air intake?

Also, when you said restrictor you just mean the vent size yeah? So if I was using a T-piece there it'd just be the end that I've soldered and drilled to 2mm?

Thanks for your help buddy. :P

Yep, you can use the spare hose to plumb the vent (restrictor) back into the inlet. You can also swap some of the hose lengths around to make it neater if you want.

:blink: cheers :D

Yep, you can use the spare hose to plumb the vent (restrictor) back into the inlet.  You can also swap some of the hose lengths around to make it neater if you want.

:blink: cheers  :D

Just as I thought then, no worries. :P Just a question though, how come I've got the boost source from my intake manifold going into the left side port (where you marked the red dot) but in your setup you've got the boost source (assuming I'm on the right track here) going into the other side on the solenoid?

This the vacuum hose plumbing now;

JaycarBoostControllerVacuumHoseLayoutSmall.jpg

Just as I thought then, no worries. :D Just a question though, how come I've got the boost source from my intake manifold going into the left side port (where you marked the red dot) but in your setup you've got the boost source (assuming I'm on the right track here) going into the other side on the solenoid?

Sorry, I don't understand the question or its relevance to the picture. As the picture shows, the top fitting on the Stagea solenoid is the input (boost supply), the bottom fitting is the output (to the wastegate). The drawing you posted shows the bottom fitting on that solenoid as the output (to the wastegate), the top fitting is the input (boost supply). The coloured dots follow that drawing.

:( cheers :)

Edited by Sydneykid

Does everyone think that putting in the DFA first is a good idea? Or the IEBC? The reason for asking is that if you install the EBC first and then modify the fuel curve using the DFA after - this would effect the injector duty cycle. Since the IEBC runs off injector duty cycle - this would put your boost control out.. (?)

What about if you have a DFA tuned on the dyno and then you install the IEBC and increase the boost? Do you then have to retune the DFA for more boost? From reading the thread it seems you don't as the MAF sensors air flow increases which just moves the DFA to a higher tune point...

I'm having a hard time understanding this!! :S

Thanks for the help people, DFA installed and working finally.

Now to the IEBC, installed to to my car, hand controller working great, put in SK inputs just to see what it does, BOOSTing way too high, I have no control over boost at all, input make no difference, have to drive home slow so it will not over boost?  HELP

Here are a couple of diagrams 1 wirering, 2 hoses. Pics have been revised so should be right now..

Did you get it to work emanuelt ?

The output to the solenoid has to be connected to the away side of the wire cut at the ECU loom (or wherever).

If you just splice it in I think that the ECU is going to be trying to control it and not allow the IEBC to do it properly.

El Bee

Does everyone think that putting in the DFA first is a good idea?  Or the IEBC?  The reason for asking is that if you install the EBC first and then modify the fuel curve using the DFA after - this would effect the injector duty cycle.  Since the IEBC runs off injector duty cycle - this would put your boost control out.. (?) 

What about if you have a DFA tuned on the dyno and then you install the IEBC and increase the boost?  Do you then have to retune the DFA for more boost?  From reading the thread it seems you don't as the MAF sensors air flow increases which just moves the DFA to a higher tune point...

I'm having a hard time understanding this!!  :S

I tuned the IEBC (boost curve) on the road before we tuned the DFA on the dyno. It didn't make any difference as the tuning changes we made with the DFA were all in the area where the IEBC settings were the same (check out the previously posted maps/graphs). So a few points up or down in the injector duty cycle made no difference to the boost.

Bottom line, it's not a problem in the real world, move on.

:D cheers :D

Edited by Sydneykid

Did you get it to work emanuelt ?

The output to the solenoid has to be connected to the away side of the wire cut at the ECU loom (or wherever).

If you just splice it in I think that the ECU is going to be trying to control it and not allow the IEBC to do it properly.

El Bee

I'm not sure what you mean when you say

"output to the solenoid has to be connected to the away side of the wire cut at the ECU loom "

As it is only taped into this one wire I don't see how there could be an away side as it makes no difference as this wire is not intercepting like the DFA does it just taps in, thats all it does and mine is working good, just have to get it dyno tuned next week. I'll put some readouts on here later when its tuned properly.

Don't ask me how it works only being taped not intercepted as I'm not sure, but it does work.

Hope that help your question

Edited by emanuelt

Hey SK, Sorry to dig this up but can you confirm this..

If you were using the IEBC and DFA.

low IEBC boost setting = lower air flow load point, DFA adjusts voltage for this lower range. And higher boost = higher air flow load point. DFA uses load point from higher up in it's table.

So, am I right in thinking that I need to get the car tuned at the high boost setting. And if I were to flick to a lower boost setting , it won't matter because the dfa will already be tuned for lower load points as well.

I'm getting both of these and just need to know what to do once installed.

SO far..

Get boost levels right first

Then tune on the high boost setting.

The second lower boost setting will be setup like yours, 100% from about point 20 up.

Thanks

Chris

You got it spot on Chirs, I asked this previously and Sydney kid said same thing. Boost level is irrelevant because its the amount of airflow the AFM detects. So say the amount of airflow you get at 5500rpm with 13psi can be the same as 4000rpm at 16psi. :O

Hey anyone who has installed the IEBC on an R32 GTSt, where did you mount the solenoid?

I've got a stock R33 GTSt boost solenoid complete with bracket, just wondering if there is a good and easy place to mount it? Ie. no modification required.

Also, should i run the positive wire straight to the battery and earth the solenoid via the IEBC, or wire it all up at the ecu?

Thanks,

Rhett

You got it spot on Chirs, I asked this previously and Sydney kid said same thing. Boost level is irrelevant because its the amount of airflow the AFM detects. So say the amount of airflow you get at 5500rpm with 13psi can be the same as 4000rpm at 16psi. :D

Wickid. Thanks Brov.

Init nice when every thing works out.

Hows your install going?

Hey anyone who has installed the IEBC on an R32 GTSt, where did you mount the solenoid?

I've got a stock R33 GTSt boost solenoid complete with bracket, just wondering if there is a good and easy place to mount it? Ie. no modification required.

Also, should i run the positive wire straight to the battery and earth the solenoid via the IEBC, or wire it all up at the ecu?

Thanks,

Rhett

There is a spare threaded hole (6mm) near the power steering reservoir, that is where I mounted the PFC BKC solenoid in the R32GTST race car.

I always wire back to the ECU, that way the protection (fuses etc) works OK.

:D Cheers ;)