SAU Community

size of front speakers (R33)

SLY33

The speakers wont transfer as much energy through the wood, which means they are more likely to convert the power delivered into actual sound rather than movement and rattles. Basically the stronger the mount/enclousure, the better the sound.

i agree with this to a point.

if you think its annoying installing 6 inches into the parcel shelf try and imagine what it was like installing 6-9's.! It was totally amazing it took me 2 days of cutting myself and the parcel shelf..

Why didn't you just make a new parcel shelf out of 15-18mm MDF?? Would have been a lot easier plus if all the theories about wood is correct wouldn't it sound better?

making a new parcel shelf? nah probably would have been just as difficult if not more? then id have to deal with all the computer underneath......

im not sure if this theory is really that great... im yet still to see any major proof..

Guest GR33DyMANGO
Originally posted by akeenan

making a new parcel shelf? nah probably would have been just as difficult if not more? then id have to deal with all the computer underneath......

im not sure if this theory is really that great... im yet still to see any major proof..

making a parcel shelf is REALLY easy. all u do is take out the old shelf. place it ontop of some 15mm mdf sheeting and trace around it. then jigsaw out the shape of the new shelf. cuts holes for speakers and screw holes. glue carpet ontop (get from any car audio shop) ... and put back in.. its way too easy:)

That's exactly what I did.

And using MDF made a SHITLOAD of difference to the sound.

The wood brings out the mid-range and bass due to the strength of the material not absorbing these frequencies.

I had 7x10" Kenwoods mounted straight into the shelf to start with. After a while I took them out and made a new MDF shelf and mounted the speakers into it.

After doing that I'd never have a rear shelf not made out of MDF.

Try it ... you won't go back :cool:

And its very easy to do.

Try it ... you won't go back

nah too much trouble!,

oh i had to take my door trimmings off today and just to clarify a few things

1.) the holes in the doors of a series one skyline are made for 6.5 inch speakers!

2.) i have 6 inch speakers in my front but i have 2 different types of holes.

holes in the actual ring of the speaker and then holes poking out from the speaker to make it larger...(if this makes sense)

as i said all along! :P

Why would you want to put speakers in the back anyway?

Your whole sound stage will be screwed, especially if you put bigger(louder) speakers in the back.

I have a set of splits and a sub. Bass is non directional and will only fit in the boot. You want all of your music to come from the front, not from behind you. I reckon this is all you need. By a few GOOD things rather than lots of shit.

Do you go to a concert and face the back so all the sound comes from behind? I think not.

Those who posted their theories on wood in spacers are right. It will resonate less, therefore absorbing less energy from the drivers and sounding fatter and deeper. This will go for a parcel shelf too if you decide that you need rears. A MDF parcel shelf will sound heaps better than the thin bit already there.

Oh, and if you think 6x9's are the shit you should trade in your Skyline and get a WRexcel.

And if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at my posts here for pic of my previous car.

Oh, and if you think 6x9's are the shit you should trade in your Skyline and get a WRexcel.  

that was a pretty full on post!

are you having a dig at me here?

about my 6'9's?

as for speakers on in the front(i agree with this) but what if you have passengers in the back? it would sound pretty poor

what is the purpose of surround sound?

I am trying to the best quality sound from the middle of my car to satisfy the front and the rear seats

I worked at a major car sound retailer for 3 years and we did a couple of 'lines, including mine. From memory they were series 1's. Front and rear are definitely 6.5"s, I have 6" polks in the front and have had to make up MDF spacers to make them fit.

Although the front speakers are your main stage, I think you should run rear speakers as fill only as they can really beef up your mid base. By that I mean fade them all the way out and then bring them back in until you can just hear the mids fattening up. Well that's my opinion anyway

My 2c's:D

I agree Kik-ass.

Adding some rear fill can give you a great effect, and you tend to feel more "surrounded" by sound.

On the other hand, i love the simplicity of some tuff splits up front and a phat sub in the boot. Easy to put together, no stuffing around with fades.

One question id like to put forward to any experienced audiophiles-

Ive had systems with rear speakers in the shelf and a sub in the boot, and the resulting pressure changes in the boot completely distorted the shelf speakers! ie the cones were reacting to the pressure from the sub.

I find that leaving the rear speaker holes empty (covered with a grill) the subb works and sounds better. -im not talking about hatches. Anyone else have this problem in a line? as i havent put in my sub yet. I did notice some vents toward the rear of the shelf that communicate with the cabin air though.

Making a parcel shelf isn't too hard... you just measure it up and start cutting. Then you can go get some velour or some other nice material to go over the top matching the interior colour. Go to spotlight or some raw materials shop to get it, its like $5 a meter or something cheap - you'll feel like a girl, but hey. A friend once *had* to do it because he ripped his getting his old one out :O The results are pretty cool actually, better than the standard one if you do a good job.

Makes sense, more solid surface makes for less vibration and less distortion and other things. Hence why your speakers at home are made of decent thickness wood (or plastic for cheap ones, erk), and not thin metal . Same with subby boxes, the standard boxes look pretty bodgy to me - best off making your own out of some decent sized wood.

Of course all this heavy wood stuff ads to the weight of the car.. you could always just rip the back seat out though instead :O Or maybe you could make yourself some spiffy wooden wheels to match... ok, i'm getting silly now

i have 6X9's in 6inch three ways in the front and alpin esubs in the boot my sound comes not only from the front but all around if I wanted to listen to a band id buy a ticket and go see them in my opinion id rather quilty than the direction fo the sound

soz abou tthe mistakes i was pissed when i wrote this

Originally posted by Mud

Why would you want to put speakers in the back anyway?

Your whole sound stage will be screwed, especially if you put bigger(louder) speakers in the back.

And if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, have a look at my posts here for pic of my previous car.

6x9s are only good if you want loudness (because of the bigger surface area of the cone), so are shit. Round speakers wil ALWAYS sound better for the simple fact that they are indeed round. Sound travels in a spherical form, not an oval one.

You need at least some rear fill. I agree that it sould not be as much as the front stage but it has to be there. Stereos with a big sub(s) and only a pair of splits sound over bassed most of the time because the splits simply cant move enough air to keep up with the sub.

Finally, no ones doubting your knowledge on car audio, you probably just have a different taste for sound than some of us.... by the way, some of us here my know a thing or too as well :cool:

You need at least some rear fill. I agree that it sould not be as much as the front stage but it has to be there. Stereos with a big sub(s) and only a pair of splits sound over bassed most of the time because the splits simply cant move enough air to keep up with the sub.

I definitely agree there... there has to be a reasonable balance there. While bass is omni-directional, you still need the balance there with some higher freq in the back as well.

I've heard the difference - 4 matched speakers give a much "fuller" sound stage..