SAU Community

Whirring noise from the front of my car (R32 GTS-t)

Hi All,

I have a strange noise that's developed over the past coupla weeks and I dunno what it is.

It's like a whirring noise (sounds like a belt or a bearing) and it's coming from the front of the engine. I tried locating the source, but it's kinda a bit hard cos it's originating from the front where all the belts are. My best guess is it's coming from behind the timing belt cover. :P

The whirring noise only happens when I rev the engine. It does it while I'm stationary and in neutral. It gets louder the harder I rev the engine.

The timing belt has been replaced recently (about 3500km ago) and the idler and tensioner bearing has been replaced also (about 2500km ago).

I don't know what it could be but I'm fairly concerned, since the source of the noise seems to be from behind the timing belt cover. Luckily I don't drive my car too often these days (too busy) so it only gets driven 2 or 3 times a week. I'll be getting checked out ASAP, but the earliest I can do it is this Saturday coming up.

I thought I'd throw something here to see if anyone may know what's up...

Cheers

i have the same problem right now. Only after about 3000 rpm when driving, i dont notice it as much...

it comes from inside the cam cover, but it is hard to pinpoint! I took the cam cover off and still wasn't sure...

anyhow, it turns out it is the timing belt on WAAAAYYYY too tight!

Seeing as yours is new, you shouldn't worry too much, but get it done ASAP!!!

Take it to the mechanic that put it on and tell them to loosen it.

Mine has been on for 40,000 km, and nissan recomend that if it is a used belt, that you toss it once it has been overtightened.... So I told mine I wanted it replaced, I supplied him with a photocopy of the pages in the service manual that exp-lain how to change the belt (just to make him feel like a dick), and I demanded the old belt also be returned to me.... :P

Reduce the options. Start by droping off one fan belt at a time and listen for your noise. Power steer, drop off the belt. Alternator or water pump, drop the belt. Air con or belt tensioner, drop the air con belt.

Still got a noise, it's in the cam belt area so you can take the next step.

Of course don't run the bloody thing for hours without belts!!!

Regards.

one thing i have found when the belt is fitted you sometimes get a bit of coolant on them if the water pump got replace and this causes a strange noise when it dries out and the residue is left on the belt. it only takes the smallest amout and the noise takes a while to start. what you can do is take out one of the top cam belt cover bolts and spray a SMALL amount of sylicone lube in there and that will stop it if thats your problem

I am relieved to report that the problem is a faulty fan clutch. It turns out the whirring noise is the fan over-spinning, since the clutch won't fully disengage. :)

Luckily the fan is still in good condition, despite having noticeable fractures on the body of the fan. The blades themselves are fine, tho.