SAU Community

wastegates

Im after a wastegate for my R33 skyline. Ive heard that not all of them make a noise when changing gears. I want the one that makes the noise kinda like a blow off valve flutter but with a higher pitch.

Does anyone know what brands of wastegates make these noises?

And also wondering, if you install a wastegate is there any need for the external blow off valve anymore?

Do a quick search on this site about the difference between a wastegate and a BOV and it will all become clear. Most of the noises you hear when people change gear are either:

1/ Differences in BOV's (i.e. different types make different noises)

OR

2/ Reversion through the turbo and air filter of the compressed air on gear changes when the BOV doesn't open or open enough.

Good luck and remember, everyone had to start somewhere. One of the longest standing members of this forum once asked whether you still needed a FMIC if you had programmable management. :(

Adrian

hehehehehe....yes i was a little confused...i am after a certain type of bov....and thought it was a wastegate....i am familiar with both wastegates and bovs but got them mixed around.

Yes i realised that internal ones dont cause thats what my dad has got on his XR6T and Mr Fanny no google search is going to tell you that the wastegate flutters as most of the sites just bring up the basics of turbocharging and related peices of information about wat does the wastegate do. I forgot to mention I love the fluttering sound.

the flutter sound in talking about is the one of an external wastegate not a turbo that has an internal wastegate. ANd the blow off valve doesnt make a flutter noise it makes a whoosh sound.

Originally Posted by cameron

Wastagates do flutter! - i'm not sure if this is what you would call it ?

the flutter sound in talking about is the one of an external wastegate not a turbo that has an internal wastegate. ANd the blow off valve doesnt make a flutter noise it makes a whoosh sound.

Jeezus Christ! I tried to be nice in my post but this is getting silly.

OK so you know how they work and what they do. Go RE-LEARN it.

Adrian

remove your stock blow off valve.. it is on the pipe that goes across the engine.

the engine is in the fron tof the car under metal thing called a bonnet.

onec you remove it, block the holes where it was, where it plumbed back to and the little vacuum hose on top.

start the car - use the key that came with it.

go for a drive.. accelarate hard (using the pedal on the far right) then change gears..

you will hear the noise you want.

I hope this has been informative.

don't tell guys that tell you to search for stuff, that you know the difference, because it is damn obvious in your posts that you STILL don't.

the only time you hear a wastegate making noise is once you hit full boost. and only if it is an external wastegate which is venting externally. they can also be plumbed back in tothe exhaust.

and the sound you hear from them is not a fluttering or during gear changes.

it is an extremely loud screaming noise..

you know.. the noise a turbo makes at 100,000rpm with no muffler.. just a 30 cm long metal pipe.