SAU Community

Running GT-R in RWD

Mik

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its a 33 you dont need to take the front shaft out at all.

ask markr34gtr for the details, but when mine went on the dyno all he did was bleed the fluid from the in-tank boot for the attezza, and poped the plug from under the dash and ran rwd no probs basically. took maybe 5-10min and no hoist.

How do people dyno a GTR on a 2wd dyno? Do they take the front drive shaft off? If this is the case, wouldn't gear oil spill everywhere?

You don't take the shaft out, you just disconnect it. :boinkcar:

You don't take the shaft out, you just disconnect it. :boinkcar:

At which end? The front diff (sump) or the transfer case? Isn't the flange on the front diff? If you disconnect there, won't the shaft turn and hit the bottom of the car?

you unplug the 4wd fuses then crack the pressure out of the line that goes to the back of the transfer case.... as r33 and 34 have constant pressure to the transfer case so the 4wd sytstem is preloaded to some extent....

but you will have to bleed the 4wd system when your done on the dyno....

if you dont know how to do it dont risk it just go to a 4wd dyno.....

hope this helps...

Has anyone tried doing what the R33 Service manual says to do (see attached pic).

No. 1 says to unplug the air evac plug under the dash, turn the ignition on and pump the brakes 5 times with 10 seconds of turning the ignition on.

If you've done it right the 4wd light on the dash will flash twice every 1 second....

Might be easier than draining fluid and then bleeding the system when you've finished.

I'm going to try it on my Stagea to see if it works (not sure if it will, I think the ATTESSA is slightly different). I just need to work out which plug to disconnect cause the diagram isn't much help !!

J

OK, just spent the last hour outside having a play.

Looking under the dash I found one plug that had a single black wire going into it and a single yellow (with a stripe) coming out of it - see the attached pic.

I found the plug strapped to another wiring loom, and if the GTR's under dash is the same as the Stagea's, then just follow the hood realise cable and it's sitting right near it (you'll see it in the pic).

I thought it was strange that it was very accessible :rolleyes:

So I pulled the plug apart, started the car and pumped the brakes 5 times within 10 seconds and you wouldn't know it but the 4wd light started flashing twice for every second !!!

I suppose this will be safe to do seems that it's in the R33 service manual. It doesn't say anything about 'do not drive the car like this etc...', but it'll be good to try it out on some dirt or wet grass somewhere to see if only the rears spin.

Anyway, I thought this may help a few people so give it a try.

Anybody want to comment?

J

i've heard it is extrememly bad for the clutches in the transfer case unless you actually remove the shaft

I'm just going on what Nissan has documented in their workshop manual.

I presume Nissan would know what is correct way to do it.

J

OK, just spent the last hour outside having a play.

Looking under the dash I found one plug that had a single black wire going into it and a single yellow (with a stripe) coming out of it - see the attached pic.

I found the plug strapped to another wiring loom, and if the GTR's under dash is the same as the Stagea's, then just follow the hood realise cable and it's sitting right near it (you'll see it in the pic).

I thought it was strange that it was very accessible :D

So I pulled the plug apart, started the car and pumped the brakes 5 times within 10 seconds and you wouldn't know it but the 4wd light started flashing twice for every second !!!

I suppose this will be safe to do seems that it's in the R33 service manual.  It doesn't say anything about 'do not drive the car like this etc...', but it'll be good to try it out on some dirt or wet grass somewhere to see if only the rears spin.

Anyway, I thought this may help a few people so give it a try.

Anybody want to comment?

J

Yep that works, only the rears spin, both of them too :D Taking it out to Willowbank 2nite to see which way I get the quicker times, judging by how easy it spins up the wheels I think 4WD will be quicker ;)

Wow, now that is good to hear.

Now I presume if there was some (any) torque going to the front wheels they would spin while up on the hoist and you had the backs spinning with throttle. Even the slightest bit of torque would make the fronts turn.....

Great news :P

J

• 4 months later...