SAU Community

Headunits: Alpine vs. Pioneer?

Mean_R34

I've decided I need a new headunit & narrowed it down to either a Pioneer or an Alpine.

Has anyone got any experience with either or both?

I'm not looking at running any amps/subbies, etc, just a new HU with possibility of new speakers down the track. Speakers are currently factory.

I've had a couple of Pioneer HU's in the past & have been happy, but the Alpine look like a nicer quality unit (aesthetically), not that I buy stuff with that as the major prerequisite.

The models I have looked at are:

Alpine: 9831 or 9833.

Pioneer: DEH-P1Y, DEH-P7750MP (These 2 match the SAFC screen colour which is below my HU) or DEH-P6750MP.

Only thing with Pioneer (ie P1Y) is I find the animation VERY tacky.

Any help appreciated!

I myself wouldnt put anything other than a Clarion head unit in my car, in my opinion they are the best. You should just pick one that has the features and looks that you like, they are both good brands, either way they will both work great, surly one will stand out more than the rest to you .. just go with it ..

But do check out clarion, they are very nice units, just one as well some of the high end clarions dont have speaker wires, they only have RCA plugs.

Alpine all the way.

Ive had alpine head units in the past and they have worked great never anything wrong and they also have the best sound.

If you go for the alpine get the 9833 as they have the internal amp which will sound nice without amps and all that stuff. Im currently waiting for my CDA-9835, cant wait!!

definetly alpine, pioneer hu's are not as good quality, and imo look cheap, which they are anyway... a 9833 is a good one... you can get import models for about $550(no warranty)

man they are both top quality brands, u cant say pioneer is not as good. pioneer is mad, i love the lil remotes and the button when u press it detaches the face and flips the face down and u press agen it flips up and reattaches its self :cheers:

I've find myself in a similar situation, I'm pretty much sold on a Pioneer DEH-P8650MP which I can get for under $500 secondhand. I've had Pioneer in the past and loved it.

Anyone care to comment on my chosen model? FHRX?

Thanks for the good feedback guys. Some mixed responses.

Mick, I have an old Clarion at the moment & it's horrible - mind you it's also old & I'm sure the game has been lifted.

mitchy_ - That's a nice head unit, but I prob won't be spending that much $$$. Can you downlaod jpegs to the screen? Looks like a nice reso.

As I said, I've had a couple of Pioneers in the past & they've been great, but I might try Alpine as I've always admired them for something & it's a nice change too. Hmmm...

Many people would disagree with you on that point. Many people...

That's fine, Let them disagree.. anyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am speaking from my experience, the high end Alpine models are great SQ units.. in comparison to every system I've seen/heard running off a pioneer head unit.

:headspin: