SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

just bought mine and it was shipped today so i'll see how it goes =]

what are the odd's it would spike? one of my friends told me not to even bother having it too long just to get an electronic because apparently u couldnt really notice when it spikes and these do spike. its probably been covered but 107 pages lol just a quick insight would be good

thanks

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just bought mine and it was shipped today so i'll see how it goes =]

what are the odd's it would spike? one of my friends told me not to even bother having it too long just to get an electronic because apparently u couldnt really notice when it spikes and these do spike. its probably been covered but 107 pages lol just a quick insight would be good

thanks

After having a boost leak sometime ago, that was fixed, took the car for a run and have been turning down the boost, gave it a fair few turns yesterday arvo, and the boost controller still seems to be peaking at 1.5 bar occasionally. Going to turn it down again this arvo, but any reason why it may be doing this? The screw is starting to get pretty tight, hopefully it just needs a bit more adjustment.

interesting 1 for ya. i had my car on a mates dyno a while back. Got 179rwkw @11psi using one of these boost controllers. changed it over to a new turbosmart one just to see if any difference was made to output and got 186rwkw at 11psi.....

interesting huh.... can anyone shed some light on why this might have been??

would have been weather related. a boost controller may change the curve if ever so slightly, but will not change the output KW from your car in any way.

I can't beleive this thread is still going! I brought one these ages ago. It worked brilliantly but I only used it for about 2 weeks as I already had a Power FC boost controller on order. So if anyone wants it and they live in the Victoria Park (WA) area they can have it for $25. :)

bought one of these a few months ago... around september 07. I had it professionally installed by a performance workshop and havent touched it until recently. i upgraded my intercooler and found that my car was over boosting so i tried to reduce the boost.

heres where the problem started, i cant seem to change the boost of the car. first i had the turbotech open all the way, then closed all the way, then i tried with the screw completely out and finally open all the way again. each time the boost spikes to about 1.5 bar which is quite scary for a ceramic turbo. am i doing something wrong?

oh whats more, i'm hearing a strange noise from the engine bay now. sort of a "ch ch ch ch ch". think of a chu chu train. sounds like air leaking from somewhere?

bought one of these a few months ago... around september 07. I had it professionally installed by a performance workshop and havent touched it until recently. i upgraded my intercooler and found that my car was over boosting so i tried to reduce the boost.

heres where the problem started, i cant seem to change the boost of the car. first i had the turbotech open all the way, then closed all the way, then i tried with the screw completely out and finally open all the way again. each time the boost spikes to about 1.5 bar which is quite scary for a ceramic turbo. am i doing something wrong?

oh whats more, i'm hearing a strange noise from the engine bay now. sort of a "ch ch ch ch ch". think of a chu chu train. sounds like air leaking from somewhere?

sounds like u got it plumbed backwards..... weve all done it

Wouldnt mind one of these myself - anyone running one in an R33 GTR? Love to see how you have it plumbed up hey.

Will be running full exhaust from the front pipe back, larger FMIC, PFC.

Planning to just run standard boost 23/7, but maybe that one hour of the day, once a week, where i might want to wind it up somewhat.

The seller doesnt have any items listed on ebay at the moment - may be out of stock.

hey people,

thought id post an update to my findings.

after some thorough diagnostics in conjunction with my workshop, we found that the boost controller was at fault. it seems it's missing the spring which holds the ball in place until the desired pressure is reached. this explains why no adjustment to the screw had an effect on the boost level. however, it doesn't explain why the boost is spiking so much, as the lack of a spring would make the ball "open" immediately thus providing the lowest boost possible. nevertheless, upon removal of the controller, the boost was no longer spiking.

turns out this actually explains a lot of my car's mysteries. since fitting the controller (along with a few other mods) ive had a slew of problems ranging from R&R, knocking, overboosting etc etc which i can now relate back to this.

not trying to knock the product (no pun intended), just thought i'd share my experiences with the community. good to see it's worked well for most, but obviously its not for all. luckily theres been no permanent damage to my car, as i was always quick to back off when it overboosted/knocked

the "professionals" probably opened it and lost the spring

nope, because i had previously opened it and nothing fell out.

even so, spring would not have helped reduce boost as without it, it acts the same as having it on the lowest setting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just paid for mine and awaiting delivery - Note: cost to skyliners is now $33 (incl. delivery)

Will install in next few days and report back results when added to stock rb25det with cat back 3'' exhaust.

Hello everyone,

i came across this thread while searching the net for a boost controller and am tempted to buy one, but i want to use it on a smaller engine.....a CA18DET with a Garrett t28.

The car isn't currently fitted with a boost controller, and so runs at standard boost (7psi).

Does anyone know if it would be suitable for me to use this? and if so how i can order one?

Cheers.

Hello everyone,

i came across this thread while searching the net for a boost controller and am tempted to buy one, but i want to use it on a smaller engine.....a CA18DET with a Garrett t28.

The car isn't currently fitted with a boost controller, and so runs at standard boost (7psi).

Does anyone know if it would be suitable for me to use this? and if so how i can order one?

Cheers.

Would be fine to use man - can be used on any turbo application

I recently installed my TURBOTECH after it sitting in the glove box for 3 - 4 months

It's running it on a HKS external gate and I must say I'm pretty impressed

Its holds boost awesome, I have set it to 0.5bar and it doesn't spike at all

Well worth the $35 lol

ok im runnin an atomic boost tap set to 7psi but spikes up to 12psi by the redline...

i want one of those $22 boost controllers but im in nz.. :thumbsup: i tried lookin up on ebay but not much luck

does the guy who makes it still come on here? i want one.