SAU Community

advice please on an R34 Gt-t we're considering - newbie

Hi, my girlfriend is looking seriously at an R34 98 Gt-t model that's currently going at one of the syndey caryards and i'm not sure if its a good buy. Going for $42000 but seems in good nick with a (tommy kaira) bodykit and aftermarker exhaust - although i don't think it's a fully kitted out kaira model?R25 with lots of work but i'm not sure.

Questions are:

Is this a bit steep? - seems a good 5 grand more than those in the trading post

How much can these bodykit and exhausts be worth to buy new - it looks pretty amazing - and does it make it really difficult to insure

Can i trust these import caryads at all - i'm v worried after reading the FAQ no buying a new skyline about all the potential traps.

I really apprecate any feedback or advice as this is a huge amount of money for her, and i know heaps about modding 4wds but pretty much bugger all about skylines.

Thanks again

42k ?

Way too expensive.

You should be able to find cars in decent condition for max 35k, especially for a 98 model.

Have a look on the forums in the for sale section. Most are going for around 30kish

Good luck

42g for a GTT, no way, my stock 1998 GTT sedan was $24g. Even if its a genuine Tommy bodykit it still doesn't justify such a high price, my gtt was purchased from sydney since no other place in australia had one, sydney prices are usually pretty good. Check out prestige motorsports (prestige motorsports.com.au), they have modified gtt coupes going for around the 27-31g mark.

Too expensive mate, you could use the extra cash to buy nice rims and a body kit even sqeeze a front mount cooler. Have a speak to Jo Anne from Powerplay Imports they always take pride in what they import, good examples at good prices.

thanks alot for all the feedback, my gf kinda had her heart set on this one ( i think cause of the look of it with the kit), but i'll let her know the consensus.

PS Anyone know how much these full body kits go for (i can't find it anywhere on the net)?

Anyway thanks again, we'll keep looking.

thanks alot for all the feedback, my gf kinda had her heart set on this one ( i think cause of the look of it with the kit), but i'll let her know the consensus.

PS Anyone know how much these full body kits go for (i can't find it anywhere on the net)?

Anyway thanks again, we'll keep looking.

Yeah mate it's not even consensus, it's unanimous! Don't do it.

Hi, I'm chrismav's gf. I really appreciate all your replies guys. I've always wanted a skyline, i think they're hot, but i am only now starting to learn about them.

the one chrismav was talking about sure had the kit, as well as Volk racing wheels, Kakimoto 3-3.5 inch exhaust, Tanabe pro height adjustable coilovers, Trust sports air filter, Metal King brake pads. It came with factory intercooler. It had done about 66,000 kms on the clock (is that about right for a 98?). And the dealer says that their cars come with a year's rego and a 2 year warranty.

I am mildly dodgy about this one because I think it pulled a little to the left, and the rear wing (which apparently is fully adjustable?) looked almost glued on as the paint job was a bit deficit at the base of the wing where it attaches to the boot.

I was also reading that if you tweak the turbo, the car really should get a new boost gauge and air/fuel gauge. Is this true, because the car only has the factory standard boost gauge.

Thanks a lot for your input again guys.

Guest Mashrock
it would want to be very low kms for that price like 20-30,000

you cant really buy an import on the km's they are all ****ed with.

66ks for a 98 model is a little on the high side. There's quite a few to choose from in QLD. Ring Motorman imports or check out their cars in the trading post. They've got around 10 at any one time in all variations. 42K is definately very steep and for a car that is mildly modded as well I would want to go through the car with a fine tooth comb before purchasing. You'd be better of buying a stock one for around 30k+ and spending the extra cash to mod it urself...much more fun that way :D Good luck in ur purchase...I learnt a lot from this forum before purchasing mine only about 3 mths ago...do a search and u'll find heaps of info!

Just had my R34 for a few days after going to Northshore Prestige Motors in Manly...

For $28,000 flat I picked up a stock R34 25GT-T. Condition was totally immaculate, 38K kms, 1 year rego, 1 year warranty.

Now admittedly, I've known the dealers for years and I must say that I got cut quite a nice deal, but it is possible. They have a Nismo R34 in there for about $34K too.

Well, my $28k was well spent, I don't regret it one bit... hope it all goes the same for you!