SAU Community

Turbo Timers

I Just picked this up from the SHIFT PERFORMANCE website.

It is advertising a Apexi TURBO TIMER. Then in brackets it says "for turbo and NA Vehicles)" why would it advertise it for NA vehicles if NA vehicles are not TURBO.

why would people buy it?.. :confused: :werd:

A turbo timer just makes your car run for a preset period after you take out the keys, so the turbo has time to cool down a bit before it turns off.

Obviously it works on ALL vehicles. NA included, if one desired.

A turbo timer just makes your car run for a preset period after you take out the keys, so the turbo has time to cool down a bit before it turns off.

Obviously it works on ALL vehicles. NA included, if one desired.

thanks mate

for the wank factor. Ive seen a few NA silvias with them on.

My 2 cents.

i have seen many NA cars with them on :confused:

many products are actually caled "auto timers" rather than "turbo timers" so that they can also target the NA market (who knows why)...

i use one. on my NA skyline. I dont see the harm in lettin my engine warm down after im hammering it at 120km+. i also use it to warm up my engine on cold days in the morning, for when im stoppin to get out and grab a newspaper or something else trivial, to measure my voltage when im running my stereo with the engine off, and for a couple of other reasons that im sure i could think of.

Dont say that NA's use them for wank factor cuz my reasons are all legitimate, and also their not illegal in WA.

']i use one. on my NA skyline. I dont see the harm in lettin my engine warm down after im hammering it at 120km+. i also use it to warm up my engine on cold days in the morning, for when im stoppin to get out and grab a newspaper or something else trivial, to measure my voltage when im running my stereo with the engine off, and for a couple of other reasons that im sure i could think of.

Dont say that NA's use them for wank factor cuz my reasons are all legitimate, and also their not illegal in WA.

are all turbo timers the same.

do i have to get a specific one to do what your one does with the cooling and warming up of the engine?

How does it warm up the engine? when you could just turn on ya car?

can you tell me how they work .............please ;)

Turbo timers are designed to simply let the car run for a desired period of time after turning off the key. Some of the new ones even have there own calculations on how long your car should run for. They were built for turbo cars, because turbos use the engines oil for cooling and lubrication, after "giving one a hard time" the oil temperatures rise dramatcially, letting the car run down gives the turbo and oil a chance to cool down as the oil is still flowing through the turbo. Shutting a turbo down straight away while the turbo is still hot allows the oil to bake on things like bearings, shafts and seals forming a hard abrasive substence causing huge wear and sometimes seizing the turbo.

If they were required on NA cars, drag cars would not shut down there engines as they cross the line, they are not beneficial to NA cars.

How does it warm up the engine? when you could  just turn on ya  car?

you just turn the car on and then turn it off to let the turbo timer keep the engine running, so you can leave the car running when you run in to get the paper etc on the morning, with out leaving your keys in the car, as most of them turn off when the hand brake is released

If they were required on NA cars, drag cars would not shut down there engines as they cross the line, they are not beneficial to NA cars.

:P

Right, so because a dedicated race engine that probably gets pulled down and rebuilt after every meet doesn't need something, then why would a street car that is expected to do hundreds of thousands of kilometres without stripping down have to worry about it?

Drag cars don't run air filters. I guess they're not necessary either.

FI race cars don't use turbo timers either, and no manufacturer ships with one. Clearly if they don't think its necessary in a race situation or to avoid warranty claims on street cars, they're not beneficial on FI cars either.

JGTC cars also run 12.x:1 compression and a fair whack of boost; want to try that on your street engine?

Here's a hint: never use what goes on with a race engine as an example of what's right to do in terms of maintenance and longevity for a street engine. Unless you can afford to replace or rebuild your engine as often as race teams pull down theirs.

I wasnt talking about top fuel cars or dedicated race engines, i was talking about big NA street cars that do, do a hundred thousand k's between rebuilds.

Holden Astra turbo's and a few others do come with turbo timers standard so that was also a bad example.

My point is they are not beneficial to an NA engine, and to date no one has been able to find a valid reason why they are.

they actualy do more harm than good to an N/A vehicle. :thumbsup:

on idle, the A/f mixtures are rich, which eventually washes any oil off the cylinder chamber walls, causing more engine wear....

Why do you think most car manufacturers recomend you warm up your car in the mornings for only 30 - 60 seconds??

It's beneficial for a turbo b/c the cost of saving the turbo outweighs the engine wear factor.

Even better are the pumps that circulate oil through your turbo after you have shut the engine down. I have yet to see one though....

Holden Astra turbo's and a few others do come with turbo timers standard so that was also a bad example.

I've seen some R33's with factory turbo timers too :thumbsup:

There was a switch that let you choose between 1 and 3 mins.

whats the harm in letting a NA skyline's oil cool down for a minute or two, lolz let people do it if they want...its just like letting it idle for a few minutes while u go to ur gf's door and wait for her and then u find out shes not ready and u have to wait a further 10 minutes :bs:

excess idle is not good as it has been pointed out in other posts. At the end of the day if its what you want go ahead with it. Everyone here is posting views on it not being required on an NA motor no one is saying not to put one on.

whats the harm in letting a NA skyline's oil cool down for a minute or two, lolz let people do it if they want...

Why would an N/A skyline need to cool it's oil down?

Turbo's spool at up to 150000 rpm (maybe more), and it's when the engine is stopped that oil on the bearings starts to cook. The oil is not cooking itself, the hot bearing are.

Unless you have removed the rev limiter on your N/A so it revs to 150,000 rpm, you are doing damage, not good.

Have a read of this article . In particular look at the reliability section.

i got a turbotimer in my na skyline...the guy i bought it off put it in soi cbf takin it out. i usually dont use it but its handy to put the windows up when u take the key out...i always fiddle around like that lol

the purpose of the turbo timer is to keep the engine running, it wont cool the engine down for peanuts, if anything it will heat the engine up more as there's no airflow into the engine. however as the engine is running so is the oil throughout it, which leads to the oil feed on most turbochargers. the bearings get insanely hot during operation and letting the engine run on idle for a minute allows the oil feed to keep running, which cools the bearings and shaft down. i mean its still gonna be a few hundred degree's after the turbo timer is off but it will drop from maybe a high few hundred deg's to a lower temp by oil and water cooling. if you were driving around giving it some stick and then instantly turn off the bearings will just stop and shaft will too. so the heat stays in and can expand/warp or so forth I guess??

the purpose is to cool the turbocharger parts, not the engine itself