SAU Community

VG30 Turbo

lowlux

i bought a turbo a t04e & its in good order but im still gonna give it a rebuild only because i dont want 2 be driving to work & all of a sudden something pops.

It more or so wont happen in a day, week or even months but its just peice of mind & i dont want 2 be pulling out the turbo again.

its just a pain in the arse.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't actually have much shaft movement from side to side, it had a little end float not much though but just before i put it in i noticed it felt slightly notchy. I would spin it really lightly and it would kinda grab.

Yer.. I am going to be good and removing turbo's.

Because of the custom dump pipe the bolts are really really hard to get to as a socket's sides are to thick and it hits the side of the dump pipe yet a spanner is to big to fit in there.

arggggggggg. Well on goes the RB20 one again today.

Lol Meggala.. I knew you were watching.. :D

While were on the turbo thing I was thinking of making up a manifold to hold twin Turbo on my RB20, would twin RB20 turbos work fine and what RwKw would you get also what pitfalls can you see in doing this. I know I am stealing your thread Andrew but just another idea down this road..

Trying to get one RB20 turbo in/out is bad enough imagine two.

There would be no room.

Also the spool time would be long on a RB20 maybe max boost at 5500rpm or even 6000rpm.

The RB20DETT turbo's i belive are smaller than the RB20 turbo's.

The only improvement twin makes over single is more airflow at a lower boost. i.e effiency is better and a cooler charge.

I'm not definate on that but.. :D I'm no expert.

joel I spoke to some one who had his rb 20 turbo hiflowed and had very good results. his previous turbo was a vg30 hiflow and he said that the rb 20 hiflow spooled much earlier aand was more driveable

.r31 heaven to be honest I wouldn't even waste my time considering the idea f the twins on an rb 20 on an rb 30 fine any day of the weel but not a 20 there arent enough gains top be had

m

There stuff is normally pretty good cont though. Thoses trust turbos are supposed to be a lot better than the VG in regard to lag and they are cheap to rebuild.

You could look at getting your turbo highflowed with plain bearing, is a few hundred cheaper but a little extral lag.

has any1 actually got quotes for hiflowing standard turbos,or even vg30 turbos? i can get mine done easily at JPC for next to nothing, what do u think u could get upto powerwise with a rebuilt hiflowed rb20 turbo? off course theyd put in steel wheels so u can boost it a bit more

lowlux, I have been looking at the turbo upgrade question for a while now, still dont have a clue which way to go, however one thing to give some serious thought to is that unless you are getting mates rates, you get what you pay for - be really careful of getting a cheap highflow, as I have heard some nasty stories of these going pretty wrong, quesitons I would be asking:

Are both wheels being upgraded,

What type of wheels are being used,

how much boost can the highflow efficiently produce/handle,

what is the max hp rating and at what boost,

at what rpm can I expect to come on boost and when will it make full boost,

do you have a compressor map (determine the efficient boost range)

and, what sort of warranty does the turbo come with.

I have been known to be a little paranoid, but I have learnt the hard way over the years, and would much sooner pay extra to get a good quality job done

Steve

EDIT: and I would be chasing a full written quote before commencing work or handing over cash

well Mark from JPC in Thomastown will be doing my turbo,if i decide to get a Highflow turbo, and some ppl might know that JPC have built some pretty wild engines that have been in alot of magazines so im not worrying about if hes gonna do a good job or not

yeah I think low lux is in good hands with jpc.

I like you steve have been in a dillema and in the end whimped out and got an r33 turbo cause I couldn't be stuffed with the running around and the number of idiots out there. my cefiro could be a very different story though cause the missus wont be driving it :P

Lowlux, good to hear you found a decent workshop that doesnt charge an arm and a leg. I wasnt trying to bag anyone, just like to be cautious. Would be interested to hear what you think of the job, and what sort of dollars you are being set back when its all done.

Meggala - how many options are out there? Its bloody huge, at least going the R33 turbo, you can resell with out loosing alot of cash as the price second hand seems pretty constant. I wish I could stop my missus driving my car, just cant relax knowing she is out on the street with my ride - the things you do.

I believe you have done a bit of research as well Meggala, what is needed is a definitive guide to choosing a turbo - type vs efficient power range vs lag vs topend vs cost vs A/R ratios vs cubes etc, etc. At the moment, I am leaning toward the HKS 3037 or perhaps a plain GT version - dont want too much lag, dont want to have to make huge amounts of boost to get a decent response (all the nasty side effects), would like a decent torque curve and I'm still not 100% on what my top end power should be?

Anyone have any ideas?

on an r33 a 3037 is very good look at around 240-250 rwkw @ 1bar or so. but you need a gate and manifold.

it all depends on what you level of commitment is if you want to do injectors afm and ecu .a 2530 or a 40 is great and should make 230 rwkw with stock injectors and aftermarket ecu and bolts straight up cause its internal gate or get you stock one hiflowed but to me thats a bit of a compromise but covers alot of legal issues. t04 e or s is another option but a bit laggy for the s one but they make heaps of power my advise is set a power goal then get a turbo to suit it. if its over 250 rwkw dont expect a lag free turbo

meggala