SAU Community

My rear end whines...

Hi,

Can anyone suggest what this annoying sound might be. I hear a loud whinning sound from the rear of my car when on throttle between 85 and 100 km /hr. Is this my diff?

Any help would be great!

Sounds very much like the wheel bearing. Put someone in the rear seat and get them to work out whether or not it comes from one side (left or right). If it's coming from the centre then it;s the diff.

Easy way to check wheel bearings, jack up the car, then attempt wobble the wheels like so.

Looking from the rear end on say this is your wheels, axle and diff:

| |--x--| |

From side on, grab the top and bottom of the wheel, then pull in opposite directions back and forth trying to make them do this:

/ /--x--

or this:

--x--/ /

If you get anything but the slightest movement then you're in trouble.

My experience with wheel bearing and diff whines is the diff whine is generally a high pitch whine where as the wheel bearing is a roooorooooroooor type noise that increases with speed and or corner load.

Hi,

Can anyone suggest what this annoying sound might be. I hear a loud whinning sound from the rear of my car when on throttle between 85 and 100 km /hr. Is this my diff?

Any help would be great!

Yeah mate my guess is its you diff.

When the gears get worn the tend to wine a bit around the 80kmh to 100 kmh mark.

My old diff did this real bad.

I should have added previously, my diff wines too, but i can only hear it when i have my quiet muffler on. Solution: get a noisy exhaust. :)

I should have added previously, my diff wines too, but i can only hear it when i have my quiet muffler on. Solution: get a noisy exhaust. ;)

OR... A crying baby in the back seat.

Per birth, It goes up to $4000 this July. :)

Something often overlooked is road noise from the tyres. The noise can increase as the tyres wear. Had this problem on my last R32 and replaced the diff but the noise remained. Turned out to be the tyres. It was quite noticeable between 40 and 50km/h.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hi,

Any help would be great!

My rear end whines too mate but thats part and parcel of being married :P