SAU Community

PowerFC: Some DIY tuning comments please

i had this issue early when i was doing the faq long time ago

i since moved all the content to tables to support the browser resizing it dynamically, and it should deal with it. should be ok ?

I tried it in Firefox and IE and it still seems to have hard coded line feeds.

Also can I please have a copy of your latest map? Gonna do some more road tuning this weekend :)

see attached, rename to .xls

note its knocking a little in the mid area as i got too carried away up the timing in one spot. my car is having its alternator rebuilt so its not in state to datalog and tune but the rest is fine. use it only for comparison reasons, dont load the exact figures

paulr33___193rwkw.txt

Thanks mate! I'm not loading the exact map, but I'm seeing where you are putting in your biggest timing advances over stock and my tune, and focusing on those areas. Saves me a heap of time not touching the ones which are around the same.

theres one area where it goes over 80ish

but i need to fix it and will done once i have my alternator done.

right click on the filename link and choose save as.

then save it as a .xls

Paul, do you remember where the knock goes over 80'ish? Just so I can keep an eye on that area too and not increase it too much. When I was road tuning the other day there was one area where I slowly increased my timing up to nearly what you had and the knock was virtually zero all the while. Around N5-N6 and L1-10. There were other areas which had more knock that were tuned by the workshop, so I think there's still plenty of room for me to increase it there.

• 1 month later...

I've made some more changes to my INJ map in the quest for better economy however I don't think it will be good as I expected, time will tell.

I've uploaded my maps to site (in excel and datalogit format) if anyone wants to have a look at them or copy them or do what ever you wish with them.

http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/tunedata/tunedata.html

I've made some more changes to my INJ map in the quest for better economy however I don't think it will be good as I expected, time will tell.

I've uploaded my maps to site (in excel and datalogit format) if anyone wants to have a look at them or copy them or do what ever you wish with them.

http://members.dodo.com.au/paul/tunedata/tunedata.html

Are you sure your base timing is correct? Thats alot of timing. You realise that there is no point advancing the timing past MBT as all you do is increase your HC. My general rule is to pull the timing out until you start to loose power. While this is easy to do on a DYNO at WOT its alot harder under cruise and low load conditions. You really need to watch your HC levels to do low load timing.

As far as i know its correct, ive had the car retuned twice from scratch. I basically took the approach of upping the timing on light load / light cruise until it was knocking and then backed if a few deg until it was a smooth balance.

The results were a much more responsive drive and a lively engine. I wasnt trying to gain more power, but was trying to take out the boggy / empty feeling that was expeirenced after a max power only tune. My ignition timing increases only expanded as far as map points 8x8 and only a few deg increase in the last 2 rows for 10x10 so I haven't advanced the timing across the whole map.

I've reset my ecu to clear away the wierd idle hunt bug i picked up somehow in the last week or so. Completed the idle learn procedure and saved the stock apexi maps (ill upload tomorrow night). I then loaded in my ign and inj maps and changed my other settings and all is happy.

HC = Hydrocarbons. basically its what you get when you dont burn the air/fuel mix properly.

What has been stated above is pretty correct, once you tune past MBT you end up with some pretty nasty NOx (Nitous Oxides) emissions as well. Basically means your car runs around clubbing baby seals to death..

Well i took to the streets of melbourne last night with a wideband sensor up the exhaust for some on road tuning and found my afr's were out by a fair bit thanks to me fiddling around. I've since dialed them back into what I felt was right around 15:1 for light cruise up until around 2400rpm where I'll richen it up every so slightly to keep the egt's down a bit.

An hour of on road wideband tuning certainly made a massive difference as far as the INJ maps are concerned and also checking out realtime adjustments. I also experiemented with 02 feedback on and off and found 02 feedback on was perfect, only once the correct INJ values were dialed in.

I'll post up my INJ and IGN maps soon for those who wish to look, my original gung ho approach of dialing in 1.101 for the first 10x10 was completely wrong and opposite, this meant it was more rich which resulted in 13.5 afr's so I wasting more fuel :(

• Like 1