SAU Community

PowerFC: Some DIY tuning comments please

Armed with a datalog of an hour or so on the weekend I will go over my knock map and then up the timing as needed to aim for a knock of 10 all around the map.

Here's what a 2 minute logging run looks for like a "knock map" view for those interested. Very helpful stuff kudos to datalogit (thanks again Jono)

knockmap.jpg

where did you get 19deg from? you can see part of my ign map from the screen capture. ill post the entire thing tonight when i am at home. its with 0.85bar boost. full 3" exhaust. fmic. pod filter

this is my current tune. i made some more changes tonight and have uploaded. for those who are new with datalogit be careful as the default action when datalogit is first opened and loaded (assuming plugged in OK) and if you accidently hit enter is to write the default maps over the top of your tune so be careful (what a silly design flaw).

rename the map file to .dat and open with datalogit

paulr33_193rwkw_ign_up_8_7_6_jump.txt

post-2054-1133092510.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to go do some experimenting on my PowerFC with the help of PaulR33's map cross-referenced with mine. Since I seemed to have little trouble when testing with the +5 setting on light throttle, what I intend to do is compare the 2 maps in the N/L 1 to 10 range. Then wherever I find my timing is less than his, increase it by +5 or up to whatever he has set, whichever is less. In the areas where my timing is the same or more than his I'm leaving it that way.

Does this sound like a good idea? Anything I should be wary of that isn't already covered in the thread?

Hey Paul, you reckon you could add a quick Datalogit guide on your PowerFC manual page. If it's that easy to lose your map maybe a breif "Getting Started" with steps on how to download your current map/compare to stock map.

Just scared me with how easy it is to lose current map - I'd hate to lend to a friend and they lost their current map they spent $700 on getting tuned.

Would be great,

Penfold

Best thing to do is back up the tune manually, especially if you spent so much money/time on it. It only takes about an hour to write down all the settings from fuel and ignition maps from the hand controller. You can use a lot of shorthand in the areas where all the numbers are the same. I did that then typed it all up into a spreadsheet which was even quicker.

quick question,

if i want to speed up the spool time of my turbo, during the boost buildup load points do i advance timing to a certain point (until knocking occurs)??? Also does having it abit on the rich side at these boost buildup load points help spool or is it better be more on the lean side???

its a rb20det

cheers

george

Hey Paul, any chance of fixing up the word wrap on your FAQ? At the moment most of the text is a bit too wide to fit on my screen so I have to constantly scroll across and back again for each line while I read it.