SAU Community

PowerFC: Some DIY tuning comments please

Still i cant see any reason why these cars cant get 9L/100k on a trip

Mostly because by the time you are at 110kph, you are slightly on boost. You'd probably be able to achieve 9L/100k or less if you did the entire trip at 80kph or remove the turbo or even just hold the wastegate open somehow. But if you're hunting for better mileage, it's probably time to trade up to a Toyota Prius :(

Mostly because by the time you are at 110kph, you are slightly on boost. You'd probably be able to achieve 9L/100k or less if you did the entire trip at 80kph or remove the turbo or even just hold the wastegate open somehow. But if you're hunting for better mileage, it's probably time to trade up to a Toyota Prius :mellow:

Im not really worried about fuel economy at all, but my old 5.0 injected used to get 10.5/100 and im sure with the technology of the RB25 it should eat that. I might throw it on the dyno and check my A/R's at light throttle and be done with it. I can remember when it was standard i saw 500k's to a tank.

a datalog run from tonight, some light load cruising, heavy load up hills and some quick power runs and the usual plodding around on the streets on light load. use this as reference or purely for entertainment purposes

also attached latest tune, i made 1 more rwkw haha

some of the load areas were too lean (near 5000rpm) no idea how but the airflow table was adjusted accordingly. a few minor cells were adjusted. also corrected my INJ mistake at 3200rpm.

Log_20060207_2123.zip

Copy_of_paulr33_194rwkw_dyno_reupdate.txt

Im not really worried about fuel economy at all, but my old 5.0 injected used to get 10.5/100 and im sure with the technology of the RB25 it should eat that.  I might throw it on the dyno and check my A/R's at light throttle and be done with it.  I can remember when it was standard i saw 500k's to a tank.

Wow, that's the exact same highway mileage my VS 5.0L Commodore got too :D The problem with our (current) cars is (1) they rev higher for the same road speed, and (2) running on boost requires more fuel at the same amount of RPM than it would off boost. So with our early-spooling turbos, it's sucking down more juice than it would be if there was no turbo.

The most I got out of the Skyline was 600km, and filled up to 60L so almost spot on 10L/100km. So that was a tiny bit better than I got on the Commodore. However, that was a standard ECU and boost came on very late, so I think that was the main reason I had it so good. Now I get around just under 11L/100km and I think that's pretty good all things considered. I remember seeing some of the NA boys getting 8 or 9L/100km. Maybe the RB20DET can do that too but I don't expect miracles.

I remember the Commodore being a lot better than I expected when I first took it on holidays. Smaller cars don't get double or triple the old 5.0L's economy on the freeway like they do in the city. The low-down torque helps it a lot.

also attached latest tune, i made 1 more rwkw haha

some of the load areas were too lean (near 5000rpm) no idea how but the airflow table was adjusted accordingly. a few minor cells were adjusted. also corrected my INJ mistake at 3200rpm.

I can't seem to open the dyno chart... it's in a wierd format?

Sorry the log file is a datalogit log file and the dynoreupdate is the datalogit tune file and not a dyno run sheet sorry. I had rename it from .dat to .txt as the forums insist on blocking pointless file extensions

Just completed a full tank using Boost 98 including a run upto Bendigo and back. Didn't really give it a hard time. 454k's for 54 L or 11.9L/100 or 23.7mpg in the old book. Not bad considering i run a HKS 2535 turbo with over 240rwkw at the wheels on 20psi.

I still reckon i can get more out of it with a bit more fine tuning.

For that power it's pretty damn good. But yeah these cars are basically a small 6 so you should get better consumption than a ford or holden 6. Gear ratios arent as good for fuel economy though. Need a 6 speed to drop the revs in top...

On the highway I would think you would be able to get under 10L/100km. I can get around that but not much better.

Robo - what did you do with your 2530?  Did it boost up as fast as the stock turbo?

Sold the 2530 and bought a 2535. Yes it boosted up nice and early, i think i had over 15psi at 3000rpm, i have a dyno boost chart around somewhere. Not a bad little turbo for some super strong midrange. Ran 12.5 in it.

Whats the street price for a 2530 2nd hand you think?

So it must boost the same if not earlier than the stocko??

12.5 ain't bad!!

Anywhere between $1000-$1500 for a 2530 turbo

Comes in nice an early. The turbo is virtually the same size as the stocky except for roller bearings.

12.5 is good for a street car, you wont loose too many races.

guys, light load \ cruising in my car at 80kmph and 100kmph is the range of cells N04 - N07 and P03 - P06

What AFR's should I be aiming at here?

Also, on full load, what afrs should I be looking at?

What about half load? Like half onto boost.... 13's?

I am not really sure. The tuner had more car for 3 hours and made stuff all changes. Think I might just tune it myself from now and on...

for 80km and 100km i aimed for dead on 14.7

it was only on light load i aimed for around 15 or a little lower

on full load it should be dead on 12 12.5 ish

im only going off what ive read around there and on google etc, certainly not a "tuners" perspective

for 80km and 100km i aimed for dead on 14.7

it was only on light load i aimed for around 15 or a little lower

on full load it should be dead on 12 12.5 ish

im only going off what ive read around there and on google etc, certainly not a "tuners" perspective

Did you enable the 02 sensor feedback function?