SAU Community

Cold Air Intakes

Hey people,

i was woundering what sort of coldair intake setups are people using on the skyline specifically R33 Gtst. Any sugestions and prices or pics would be appreciated.

cheers

Hey people,

i was woundering what sort of coldair intake setups are people using on the skyline specifically R33 Gtst. Any sugestions and prices or pics would be appreciated.

cheers

I have a front mounted intercooler opposed to the original side mount. When you take the stock intercooler out, the piping going to the intake can be routed a different way, leaving a hole.

I cable tied 90mm PVC piping (90 degree bend) under this hole, so the air gets fed from the corner of my 400r bar.

I also use a UAS cold air box, with that shiney insulation stuff lined on the whole inside of the box.

Mine works a treat :)

Sorry, no pics.. Might grab some next time front bar gets taken off

i have also replaced the standard intercooler with a gtr cooler up front

i relocated my pod down into that space

awesome in dry conditions

in the wet, i just take it super ez to try and minimise the chances of sucking up water

The only other way you could do it is setup a box around the pod and make up sum sort of duct to extract the air coming in from around the headlight. It sounds silly but apparently works quite well. 'SS Inductions' i think it is sells a setup like that.

Infact now that i think of it you could use the stock air pick up ducted to a box made up for the pod. That pick up sits up above the headlight and sucks air between the bonnet and headlight. Not sure if you'd still have it there or ever did?

Al_r33 i've got the blitz one your talking about. It works realy well. On boiling hot days the output side of the intercooler is always freeeezing for ages after you turn off the car.

On thing about that intercooler though is the intake pipe that goes into the intercooler sits 1cm or so lower than the front bumper, so you goto go extra slow over the bumps etc.

Al_r33 i've got the blitz one your talking about. It works realy well. On boiling hot days the output side of the intercooler is always freeeezing for ages after  you turn off the car.  

On thing about that intercooler though is the intake pipe that goes into the intercooler sits 1cm or so lower than the front bumper, so you goto go extra slow over the bumps etc.

how much did that cost you? im planning on incorporating a cold air intake with a new intercooler later down the track, as i recently bought the car, and its just got an exposed pod in the engine bay. Tho im thinking of going gtr intercooler as that would be pretty much bolt on i assume

i think there about $1500 or so. I got mine for $1200 during xmas sale. Was abit expensive but i wanted to test out the credit card.

I think with the gtr cooler you'd need custom pipes to hook it up.

The blitz one uses the stock pipes in the engine bay, whereas the gtr one is like most intercoolers and has the pipes going left and right.

I do prefer the look of the normal/gtr intercooler over mine though :)

On my VS commie amd my S5 t Rx7 I had my pod filters behind the front bar.

In the wet I leave the front of it covered by a plastic bag. (sounds dodgy, but if it's your daily there's not much choice.)

If only the front is covered then it can still suck air from the sides. Also don't drive too close behind others as you will still suck up all of there spray.

When i installed the intercooler I was only running stock 5-7psi boost. So I wasnt realy expecting that much of a differance. There was a small differance in the power but as well as some added lag :D . I was kinda more impressed with the cool wooshing noises it was making though :)

That same day we put the 3" exhaust on and that made a big differance to power which I could feel straight away.

I rekon I would of got the same results above with most intercoolers though so its hard to say.

All I know is it goes incredibly cold real quick and lets me run more boost :(

this is the cold air intake I have on my R33, it has a snorkle running the cold air up under the KN pod. also I have put a wanky blue light in the air box so when the bonnet opens the light comes on and shines through the smoked glass slot. I hope it will keep the intake temps down from the new turbo!