SAU Community

Nissan Silvia S13 - The next logical choice behind a Skyline?

Forcefed: To take your questions seriously for a change, regardless of the fact that I think your an albeit entertaining tool, I think if I had $30-$40k to spend on a performance car that is either a:

s13, s14, s15

or

r32, r33, r34  

etc

And the goal was performance, you CAN not go past either an r32 GTR 15y+ model with $20k of engine mods spent on it, or an s15 with $15k of mods thrown at it.  

I could go in to why, but tell me why you think these would both be good options?

These would both be good options because as soon as you have bought a GTR or S15 you already have a very capable car without throwing much money at it. So yes, $20k of modifications would certainly do the trick in the way of performance on either of these cars. I don't see exactly what you're trying to clear up here, I'm not a complete idiot, I would take a GTR over an S13, S14 or S15 anyday, but on a budget I would have to go the Silvia for a road car.

I'm not a complete idiot
:crazy: only 9/10th's of one. j/k

what he's trying to tell you is that a skyline of the same age and spec (ie rwd single turbo, HICAS, 2 door) is around the same cost as the corresponding silvia. So there's no real advantage in choosing a silvia purely for initial purchase price savings.

Sure they give more gains per dollar spent on them up to a certain stage, but a corresponding skyline has the potential to go beyond that.... and still be streetable.

For me, it would depend on what I'd want to do with it.

If I was doing street sports (either country driving, or hillclimbs and some Targas) I'd get the Silvia. Its lighter and shorter, which makes it a lot more nimble. An SR20DET is a nice engine and can be reasonably powered up, which means you can always make more power than you can use (at which point the RB25's capacity advantage means nothing, it just makes more power you can't put down).

On the track I'd take the Skyline. The longer wheelbase means its more stable on the relatively open corners (compared to the Old Pac, or Mac Pass, or Nasho) and I can eventually screw out more power that I can actually use. The weight thing is always present, but you can go further with weight reductions for a primarily track car.

For commuting.....its hard to choose. The Skyline is comfier and more stable, but the Silvia is more fuel efficient and easier to park.

I dont see the reasoning in putting an rb20 in, as the engine is heavier you start messing with the weight distribution, for the money spent you could modify the SR to easily surpass the rb20, and since you are going going to the trouble of doing a conversion anyways it seems more logical to go all out and put an rb25 or rb26dett in.

True, but if I was going to put my money into a Silvia I would go for an RB20DET, ultimately a better and smoother motor than 4-cylinder SR20DET.

Sure, if you've got an unlimited budget and if you'd like to ruin your Silvia's weight distribution by using a long, cast iron engine instead of a shorter, all alloy one.

:roll:

The only way an RB20 works better than the SR is the sound, and the fact that you can then easily put a bigger RB in it. But, cost for cost (until you hit big budget, at which point you should have just bought a GT-R instead) an SR20 would at least keep up with an RB20 in the straights, and pull away in the corners.

• 3 weeks later...
I disagree that Silvia's and Skyline's are in the same price range, you say a GTS-t is in the same price range as an S13, when you said a GTS-t would set you back an unbelievably cheap $16k! WTF?

$16k GTS-T is unbeleivably cheap? Dude, I got my 32 GTS-T imported and on the road for under $10k.

And in regards to engine choice, whilst I prefer my RB engine for it's refinement (easily more refined than my dad's 10 years newer supercharged commodore V6), an SR20 will always give the better weight distrobution (shorter and lighter), so for me I don't see the benefit in swapping it out. Plus, the SR20 will put out more power than you will ever need once modified. I also found the RB20 to be ever so slightly laggier than the SR20, stock vs. stock, although most probably woudn't notice/care.

I am not sure definitely as I've never driven an S13.. but I'd imagine the tailhappy rear could be a disadvantage when cornering?

They tend to use the S13's rather than the R32 (as much - they drift plenty of R32 I know) for drift, as it has a much more slidey tail. This would actually be a disadvantage I would have thought when trying to get power to the ground??

There were a few R32 that came in under the 15 year rule (like mine) for around $10k but now that is not available the price has jumped up a few $k.

$10k only gets you something fairly basic in terms of an R32 - I am probably up to around 12k with the basic mods, and only now does it feel like its actually just getting fast enough.