SAU Community

Quickest Way To Get A R 32 Gtr

Hey guys I just wanted to know.....i realy like the Sil80's and i want one as my first car buy getting a 180sx and puting the s13 front on....but the car i dream of owning is the R32 GTR and i just wanted to know what u guys though......do yous think i should just get a cheep first car eg: bluebird datsun 1600 or 240z with RB20/25DET and spend more money modding it or go with my previouse choice and buy a 180sx convert to sil80 and mod to eventualy get my GTR.....just wanted to know your opinoins cheers :P

i dont see how wanting to get either a 180 or a cheap car will lead to you getting a GTR quicker? what exactly do you want to know? what car to buy as a first car? is that what you are asking?

Modifying any car, whether its a 180SX, GT-R, 240z, or 1800 is a quick way to loose money. If you want to save money for a more expensive car, buy a boring shitbox Corolla or Laser and just put fuel and oil in.

yes guys i wanted to know what you rekon i should get as a first car......is a sil80 a stupid to expensive choice for someone only on an apprentiship or would i be alright with it......

I'd buy the sil80. 1989 180SX's are available for $10,000 and less. There should be plenty of smashed S13's around that you can find a nose for cheap. When the CA18 blows up (because it will) you can replace it quite cheaply by comparison.

Please please please keep in mind, as lwells said, ANY sports car (a real sports car) will cost you a lot in ongoing expenses. You now need better tyres, better fuel, insurance is dearer, an 89 model will have some form of body rust, and so on. As long as you're ready for that, no problemo, fill your boots :D

You can't buy a 180SX and expect the running costs of a Corolla, so be prepared. There must be a point where you're buying a car on the cheap that requires a fair bit of work done (repairs I mean) or buy a dearer car that is in better nick (that doesn't need repairs)? But as all the guys have said, it's up to you and only you can answer the question.

Re: modifying the car - remember that every dollar you spend modifying the sil80 is another dollar you have to save before you can buy your GTR...

yes guys i wanted to know what you rekon i should get as a first car......is a sil80 a stupid to expensive choice for someone only on an apprentiship or would i be alright with it......

That would depend how much you value cars. To a non car enthusiastic, spending lots of money on a car seems very stupid as they believe that there are better things to buy. It doesn't matter if you spend all your money on your car, as long as you are happy and enjoy it. Saying that, you'll always be in a better financial position if you hold back now and buy a bomb. Then you can save up and buy something bigger being a house or a better car(gtr). My car now is costing me a sh!t load however I made this sacrifice because I wanted to enjoy a nice car when I'm young and then maybe settle for something more boring once I start a family etc. I did however start off driving 2 bombs before stepping up for something more decent.

I see lots of people blow their money on alcohol/smokes etc, and to me that's a bit silly but it's also understandable because people have different interests and pay for what makes them happy.

rite on vuster, i dont smoke or drink, my sister does, and i have said to her in the past, you spend ur money on ciggies and booze, and i spend it on my car. There is little difference, although the car can cost a bit more, hehehehe.

But in my opinion, on a first car, some people dont like it. But buy a shit box, my first car was a camira, yes a shit box, but im glad in a way i had it as a first car. It was a manual, and it kept up with a few 6's. But my second car was a vl calais turbo manual, and i know if that was my first car i would of hurt myself. You dont realise how shit you are at driving for the first year unless some one else is in the car and can actually tell you that you have improved. You are learning everyday, never think your indistructable, always pay attention, and follow the road laws.

But in my opinion, if you want a gtr, buy a car that will last you 3 years with minimal trouble, and then buy a gtr. They are more expensive purchase, and they cost more to maintain and run.

The only car i didnt mod was my camira, hehe, modded my vl, and my munro was already modified and now im modifying my r33.

Peace out !

I see lots of people blow their money on alcohol/smokes etc,  and to me that's a bit silly but it's also understandable because people have different interests and pay for what makes them happy.
I agree.

I have mates that ask me how I can blow/lose so much money on cars (or personal loans) yet an average weekend for them is atleast $250 just in smokes/drugs/alcohol/going out where as I might be lucky to spend $50 tops.

Heres something else to think about, just because you can afford to buy the car doesnt mean you can afford to run and insure it, let allown repair it!

GTR = Twin turbo = double the amount of things to place! I see peoples signitures and theyre something like "GTR = Moneypit"

Because its true and we all known theyre damn expencive to fix..!

My suggestion is, stay in school do well at it, get a cheap run around car and work your way up from their.

Dayne

Here, Here! Well said Dayne!

If you are on an apprenticeship chances are that you are on a pretty low wage. So I think that you are going to struggle to pay for general maintenance of any sport car; whether it’s a 180, GTST or a GTR. Also as previously mentioned you have to also factor in insurance, which is not really cheap. Another thing that is making life harder for people is the petrol prices. Performance cars are going to drink fuel and you are probably going to find yourself pretty broke at the end of the week.

Having recently celebrated a birthday I feel much wiser and maybe I can pass down some of this recently acquired wisdom to you my padawan. :lol:

I think you should get a neat little run around, EG. 1600, mini or a 240 and drive that until you finish your apprenticeship and when a bit more money comes your way reward yourself by buying your sports car. This way you have a bit of time to think about what car you would really want and it gives you something to work for.

I hope this helps in some way!

I dont plan on getting a GTR until ive finished my apprentiship i know i want have the money for one i do think of insurence maintenece ect....but i love them and its all i want and i will work for it hard......but yeah i think i will go with the sil80 for a couple of years first....

i cant imagine u not modifying ur sil80 if u end up getting one. like everyone said, u get a sports car, u have to be prepared to pay the expenses. Getting a sil80 is definately gonna cost much more then say a crappy ass corolla which u could pick up for a few grand. uses less petrol, dont even need to bother about insurance.. (cept maybe 3rd party) tyres are cheap as chips, parts are plentiful...

Now, in my opinion, that would be the quickest way. When you really want to get something like a gtr, u have to sacrifice a lot, they dont come cheap.. even if it means waiting 3 years.. you'll definately end up with more money, and insurance would be much cheaper.. (also if u get insurance for u sil80 n crash.. ur premium will sky rocket.. and u mite not even get insurance for ur gtr when the time comes... )