SAU Community

What Have I Done To My Car?

B0oStEr

I took my r32gtst for a drive tonight to try out my new g-tech.

After running a quarter I slowed to turn around and the car stalled.

I restarted it and headed home. It drove ok and still made boost but every now and then it felt like something was holding it back like someone pulled the handbrake briefly.

When I got to my driveway the idle revved to 1800rpm then dropped to 300rpm, then revved to 2000 rpm then dropped to 200rpm then it stalled again and when I tried to restart it it was very sick, missing badly and wouldn't run. After several attempts it started and ran just well enough to drive it into the garage. It was blowing heaps of black smoke and smelt like firecrackers.

In the shed it idled ok. No smoke while it was idling but blew black smoke when I gave it a gentle rev.

I then ran an ecu diagnostic and got code 55 AOK

I gave the motor and intercooler piping a once over in bad light but couldn't see a problem.

If the i/c piping had a leak wouldn't it run lean off boost and rich on boost.

If it's a leak it seems strange that it won't run one minute then idles near normal (slight miss) the next.

I hope i haven't broken any thing expensive.

I got a light and the i/c piping looks ok.

All the clamps are tight and the piping has beaded ends so I doubt it's leaking.

I swapped the AFM with our other skyline months ago because that car had stalling problems but it hasn't played up on my car at all until now.

Why would the hard run cause it to malfunction?

I'll swap them back in the morning and see if that fixes it.

well, when I put the wrong AFM selection in my powerfc, my car does the exact same thing. Idles up and down, black smoke, and stalls.

I'd be looking at the AFM right away. And don't worry, AFM is no biggie.

funny thing I started it this morning and drove it around 100% ok.

I figure because it's intermittent the problem has to be electrical.

Now I can't trust my car because the problem will recur, probably at the worst possible moment.

It's going to be hard to track down until it comes back though.

dont worry dude mines having similer probs, tried afm change, pressure tested i/c piping and the fuel reg is aparently working fine aswell. going in on monday for a full day of trying to nut it out at the mechanic, ill let u know how it goes but the fact of it being intermitent means it never fu*ken happens when i get it checked

black or blue smoke?

Black as, but all clear now.

Before it cleared up someone said I might have done a turbo seal and be pumping oil through the inlet so I pulled the i/c piping apart but it was as clean as new inside.

If a turbo seal went on the hot side it wouldn't have much affect on how the car runs,would it?

That smoke would be blue wouldn't it.

What colour smoke does synthetic oil burn?

I don't think it could be oil anyway because it's clear now.

busted coils, broken down plugs, espec after a giving some big hits testing a gtech pull your plugs.

That thought had crossed my mind but I doubt they would miraculously start to run perfectly again though.

I've got some splitffire coils and new plugs to put in on monday anyway, just in case.

Even though the ecu diagnostic didn't log a fault my money is still on it being an intermittant fault with the afm.

The afm that's on my car is thought to have caused similar problems on our other skyline.

The afm was repaired after logging a fault code but after it was repaired the other car still had a lesser intermittant problem so we swapped the afm with my car. In six months it hasn't caused any problems, well until now.