SAU Community

Aftermarket Rims - Compliance

Blue_J

The situation as has been told to me sounds completely backwards.

If you import a car with aftermarket rims you must;

*Borrow stock rims

*Purchase a new set of tyres to fit the stock rims

So then you have yourself two sets of tyres for no f$ken reason. ;)

i.e.

A set for the stock rims: which u must return.

A set that you will need for your aftermarket rims.

I spose the law is the law...but why should u need new tyres on the stock rims...

it does some completely ridiculous...u actually need a receipt too to back it up!

Can anyone shine some light on this matter?

Sure I totally agree... I am fine with complying with ADR

However I cant understand why they would have to be NEW tyres?

I mean ozzy tyres are ozzy tyres whether they are new or old.

BTW does anyone know why jap tyres don't conform to ADR out of interest?

Sure I totally agree... I am fine with complying with ADR

However I cant understand why they would have to be NEW tyres?

I mean ozzy tyres are ozzy tyres whether they are new or old.

BTW does anyone know why jap tyres don't conform to ADR out of interest?

They do , its just that you must have new tyres on the car and the raw has to be able to prove they were fitted new so you need the receipt as well .

At least you dont have to change seatbelts now with dodgy chinese belts , like they use to do under the old rules ..

You still have to change the mirrors though because they dont have the "e" mark on them and brake pads must be 50% or better or you must change them with genuine pads at $ 1000 for the fronts on the gtrs .

The other stuppid one is the fuel restrictor , you cant buy leaded fuel any more so why install a fuel restrictor and if not done right it will leak down the track like heaps of imports do .

The one that realy gets me is the xenons , they remove good lights to put crap in them that are dangerous you cant see anything at night when it rains !

Most tyres *would* pass fine, except to be sold in australia, they have to be E rated.. and I assume undergo some basic safety testing at some point. A lot of jap tyres would probably exceed that, but without some common standard, how do they know which ones are acceptable?

I think its just a safety issue to ensure that cars are not being fitted with retreads and/or 2nd hand tyres which may be dangerous at speed, which could sometimes happen with the old rules. Obviously, compliancers took the cheapest option, to put the most money in their pocket (and compete against the guy up the road's rates) which meant the crappest tyres they could find.

I think I remember reading something about jap cars and "snow tyres" as well appearing on cars here, which weren't safe on our roads - not sure if that was true.

SOME IMPORTERS WILL SELL YOU THE STOCK WHEELS & NEW TYRES

AND BUY THEM BACK (AROUND $150 LESS) AFTER YOU REGO THE CAR.

MOST AFTERMARKET WHEELS, ie SAME SIZE & OFFSET AS FACTORY OPTIONS FOR THE MODEL, WILL COMPLY.

ALSO, IF THE TYRES ON YOUR (big) AFTERMARKET WHEELS ARE

USABLE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY NEW ONES.

IF YOU GET THE RIGHT GUIDANCE AND DO THINGS THE

RIGHT WAY, YOU'LL HAVE NO PROBLEMS AND MUCH LESS COSTS :P

• 3 weeks later...

Just a Q.....if you knew the garage owner (or a friend) who happen to own some stock parts you could borrow the required parts off him (if he's willing), get the car complianced and all the paper work done and then immediately change it back to the parts that orginially came with the car?

Well my car will be being complianced in the very near future. Mine already has some 18's, but I have to purchase some stock rims and tyres. The workshop is actually going to take my modified parts off and then replace them for me after complaince. My question to them was wtf?

retarded law made by retards............complete waste of time.....politicians should all be shot

Just a couple of points in defence of the law makers...

Originally, used car imports were not allowed...

Someone found a loophole in the law and took it to court...

The importing practice of the motor companies was used as the

catalyst to the courts decision of allowing us to import...

That being the reason we are allowed to import and comply. it's only fair that

we do it under the same conditions as the motor companies...

For example:

If you go to a Holden dealer and buy a new commodore, (or Astra), you ask and

pay for 20" alloys and 3.5" exhaust... Holden builds your car, (or imports it), complies it with the allowable wheels and only after it's complied and probably registered, do they fit the 20" wheels and exhaust that you ordered...

Same as RAWS...

One more thing...

17", 18" wheels, big exhausts, aftermarket brakes, spoilers, gages, etc

CAN COMPLY...

As long as each item is tested by an engineer and proven to meet the Australian Standards.

Brake pads, it costs $8-12,000 to test ONE brand of brake pads.

If they don't pass, another $8-12,000 to test another... etc...

Same goes for wheels, tyres, exhausts etc...

To get All the hundreds types and sizes of wheels and tyres, exhausts, and various aftermarket bits approved, would cost engineers many thousands of hours and millions of DOLLARS...

This would obviously reflect on the price of compliance...

Not many people would be prepared to pay $10,000 plus, to comply their R33 or S13 etc... Would they ???

It's much cheaper to make the car STOCK and then fit the gear AFTER it's complied and registered...

I hope this helps you guys understand some of the why's of this industry...

Cheerz

PS... BTW, I agree, all politicians SHOULD be shot... PMSL