SAU Community

Check Out This Critter!!!

Rezz

Bloody huge Cicada was in the parking lot at SuperAutobacs 171 in Ikeda (north Osaka)... I *think* it was alive when I took the pic but I could be wrong. Had to lay the mobile next to it to give a reference of size:

cicada.jpg

One of those bastards actually made it into my apartment when I was living in country Japan (Mie-ken) about 5 years ago... I had to get the BB gun out and got him 2nd try! I was standing about 4m away. The thing just fell to the floor in an explosion of flakes...

Looks pretty normal for an Aussie cicada. Don't know about the Jap ones (gotta be smaller eh hahaha)

I sort of rescued one from a sparrow a while back (he landed in an open area after evading his pursuer). Full marks to the tenacity of the sparrow as he wasn't that much bigger than the cicada.

Unfortunately a gillbird came along shortly thereafter and he wasn't that lucky, after I had planted him in the most camouflaged spot I could find.

Oh well, you get that don't you.

El Bee

post-1570-1124534240.jpg

You mean Cicada's are usually that big?

Wel... I'd never seen a Cicada before I came to Japan. I'll shut up about it now

i shat my pants when a Cicada landed on me when i was in OLD totally went spastic... (yes i know... im a sissy to bugs) but they're friggin huge!!!!

n i wanna get a BB gun!! my bro was in japan not too long ago n said he had an m4a1 electronic loading BB rifle that was fully real... tho just as painful lol

that's JDM tyte entomology y0... hawt... tyte... bruh <insert other american "tuner" slang/speech here>

as long as you dont start speakin like this.... " yeah like fully shick bro my rexy mate its like fully hektik, 19" rimz bro and like 340 top speed yulleh " othrwise i'll have to kill you :(

yep sorry to say Rezz, but the giant cicada is probably average size. we used to catch and trade them when i was in primary school. there are heaps of different types. what you have there is the most common 'green grocer', then you have the 'black prince', the 'brown bomber' and the 'yellow moon or yellow something or other' and that's as good as my memory gets...

I *think* it was alive when I took the pic but I could be wrong.

cicada.jpg

Why didnt you pick it up then and find out bloody wimp!! :D I see heaps of kids running around with Nets catching those things.

Those things used to wake me up everymorning when i was living next to a Park in Amagasaki. Not good when you get home in the early hours.

aaaand...

what you have there is the Pamponia imperatoria... world's largest cicada 5.5cm or something

orient_p.jpg

et02.JPG

060.jpg

Pomponia-imperatoria.jpg

oh and its fully sick re... it makes upto 140db of full sick noise in clusters. bring a car full of em to the next SPL comp and you're rockin, no need for amps even.