SAU Community

"hiscas" Light Comes On, What Is It!!?!?

check if there is a leak under the power steering resivoir..(??) the little bottle which has redish liquid inside... also check how much inside, should be neary full.... i dunno about r32s, (because I dont like them) but in my r33 it had a different diff and there was also a power steering fluid bottle in the boot .. if you have one of these (dont think you would) check it too

The HICAS controlles the power stearing, there is a high speed and low speed mode. If the speed wire is cut it get's stuck in high speed mode. I had the same prob, I soldered a bridge wire from the speedo to the HICAS speed sensor wire.

The best way to test is to get a multi meter. the HICAS box in the boot (on the drivers side in my car) has a yellow wire with a green trace, if you unplug the conector and put a probe with a extention wire on it, and put the lead round to the drivers seat. Now you need to pull out the speedo, there should be 3 plugs in the back of it. on the middle plug is the other end of the yellow/green wire. Put the other end of the probe there, and put the multimeter on resistance mode. If you get a reading your wire is fine. if not you have to find where the break is.

i had the same problem... last monday i blocked my stock BOV so i can get my car to flotter.. while drivin it the hicas light came on and my power steering stifended up... now today, i just got my Apexi BOV put on and it happend again, but this time i hav'nt blocked off the return pipe form the stock BOV in to my air intake. what should i block it off wit?? its steel so i cant really cut it...a ny idea's??

I wouldn't wast too much time with HICAS, a locking bar might be the best solution and just get rid of it.

At high speed,active HICAS can make the car feel pretty nervous.

I wouldn't wast too much time with HICAS, a locking bar might be the best solution and just get rid of it.

At high speed,active HICAS can make the car feel pretty nervous.

more scary when it dosn't work, and moves under high force, or bumps in the road.

Edited by sav man

so no 1 realy knows how to fix it?? i noticed in the skyline R32 the power stearing aint that light? could this be my hicas or are they always like this? or could this be because its stuck in hi speed mode?

i had a look and my power stearing fluid was 2 high.. so i dranied some and now it dosnt come on as often! tonight i had a little race with a 180 and just after it the hicas light came on...

i am still to try this speed wire test.. but i dont have the right equipment!

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing exactly what you are experiencing Drift Squad except the Hicas subframe has been removed on my R32 GTR i.e. no more Hicas. The ECU has also been reprogrammed/chipped. The hoses were also plumbed back from where the Hicas was removed.

The car has power steering for the first few minutes and then reasonably quickly the steering becomes heavy at which time the Hicas light comes on until the car is turned off. When it is started again the above symptoms are repeated.

Any ideas?

so no 1 realy knows how to fix it?? i noticed in the skyline R32 the power stearing aint that light? could this be my hicas or are they always like this? or could this be because its stuck in hi speed mode?

i had a look and my power stearing fluid was 2 high.. so i dranied some and now it dosnt come on as often! tonight i had a little race with a 180 and just after it the hicas light came on...

i am still to try this speed wire test.. but i dont have the right equipment!

thanks

HICAS has been covered to death on this forum. A search would have told you everything you need :P

Yes, it can be fixed (assuming the mechanicals and electronics aren't damaged). Usually its one of the following or a combination (in rough order of occurence):

1) Low powersteering fluid.

2) Aftermarket steering wheel with wrong or incorrectly installed BOSS kit.

3) Poor wheel alignment.

4) Speed sensor wire has been cut.

5) Leaking powersteering hoses.

ah, the BOSS kit BTW is HBK ON-115, not the ON-110

The ON-110 is for the NON-HICAS GTS-ts (and GTS4's I think)

The ON-115 is compatible with HICAS

incorrect

if it comes with the plug its compatible and it does

last night i changed my steering wheel and when i fitted the new 1 its slightly off centre, it caused the light to come on...

easy fix though.

Edited by silver gts-t