SAU Community

The Big Bad Zed Is Here

PJAuto

:blink: HOORAY...

the beast has landed...

docks to quarantine today...

and home to papa on friday.......

full tune, service, standardisation next week...

and off to sunny QLD to finish off the engineers evidence....

And if the VSS boys act swiftly,,,

( :huh: FAT CHANCE) ,,,

Complied by Xmas...

CAN"T WAIT....

post-22921-1126092726.jpg

post-22921-1126092769.jpg

:blink: HOORAY...

the beast has landed...

docks to quarantine today...

and home to papa on friday.......

full tune, service, standardisation next week...

and off to sunny QLD to finish off the engineers evidence....

And if the VSS boys act swiftly,,,

( :huh: FAT CHANCE) ,,,

Complied by Xmas...

CAN"T WAIT....

by christmas ? are you serious!? damn thats a long wait

by christmas ? are you serious!? damn thats a long wait

;):);) Seems Chrismas was abitious....

I've been waiting 6 weeks just to get an "INSPECTION DATE"

for my 180SX test vehicle.... And still no date...

The way these guys are going, it looks like February/March for the Z...

Oh well, looks like I'll have to drive around in the NA one...

Or keep the R33 a little longer...

damn man, you must be financially comfortable yeh ? i heard these things cost a f**kload to keep on the road.

:lol: dont beleive everything you here about Z'ds the rumors include that they are extremly expensive, they over heat etc etc....

ofcourse they cost abit to upkeep, but no more than a skyline. They were once $70k cars when new so insurance and parts can cost alittle but overall a well looked after Z will not have many problems..... btw speaking from experiance.

PJ, Nice ride dude..... looks very sweet.

damn man, you must be financially comfortable yeh ? i heard these things cost a f**kload to keep on the road.

Surprisingly, they cost verry little to run ...

The ZX is a very high quality vehicle, better than all the yank tanks, better than most euro cars, certainly in the top 3 japcars and definitely (and regretfully) 10 times better than the best aussie car (and the junk the rest of the world sells us)...

My 1st Z was an 85 model back in 93... nearly 3 years, changed oils, brake pads and regassed the a/c...

Then in 96, it was a '90 model Z32 aus delivered ... 7 years, apart from normal tyres, brake pads, a battery, oil changes, there was one clutch slave cylinder (same as 180B $28.00), brake master cylinder kit, 1 fuel damper and of course a clutch kit (for obvious reasons)...

Then the swb 2in turbo auto came from japan... nearly 2 years, 1 radiator cap and a couple oil changes... then down the cliff... see pics... that cost heaps...lol...

I thought i'd slow down a bit and got a skyline... LOL... 3 x R33's and a non turbo Z later, I can't help myself... bought another swb TT Z ... manual this time and I'll add it to my RAWS schedule...

I'll have to sell the non turbo z and the last R33 by the time the new Z is complied... or I will be very broke ...

Arch,

thanks man, she'a beauty all right...

Got 6 effen months before I can drive her (legally)...

it is Sickening....

post-22921-1126507604.jpg

post-22921-1126507636.jpg

post-22921-1126507657.jpg

oh no dude, thats tragic.... hope no one was injured in that smash.

the poor Z'd as well. were abouts did that happen, looks like a nice little drop from the road.

Thats a shame.... oh well, the new one looks even meaner !!! big thumbs up.

• 2 weeks later...
Are they that special in Australia? Over here theres a shitload of them

Yes, George

NZ can get them in without too many hassles...

Probably not as occupant safe as us

but there's room for improvement when they get here

I have started making some enquiries about bringin them from NZ...

as far as I can tell, there is no problem as long as the japanese

deregistration papers are available

we may end up with a good market between NZ and AUS in all these

imports... boost your economy... lol...

cheerz

• 3 months later...

hey pjauto.

i am new to hte z scene, but am wanting one. can you update me more on how yours is going, or went... if you have it now.

cusiour about your NA unit also.

thanks

hey pjauto.

i am new to hte z scene, but am wanting one. can you update me more on how yours is going, or went... if you have it now.

cusiour about your NA unit also.

thanks

Hi George...

We're having problems with the """Australian Government"""

Even though the front seatbelt mounting positions are identical to the 4 seater that was imported to Australia, they reckon that they are not acceptable because the car is a 2 seater.

We have argued that the front seating position is identical in both 2 and 4 seaters but the Australian Government being the usual ***Australian Government, this is not good enough.

We may have to somehow install one of those extender arns like the R33 in order to beat them which will mean another $300 or so added to each compliance job...

I expect some instructions from them by the end of the week.

I do have a 4 seater coming from Japan as we speak, maybe we'l get that one through quicker.

Either way, I don't expect any results till maybe April May...

Cheerz

Peter

There's alot of mis-information going around at the moment regarding the performance of the z32. In standard form, the twin turbo 300zx would smack a gtst over the 1/4 mile and most likely on the track aswell, only the gtr would put up a good fight. There is an earlier thread regarding this very subject. Best to read what Shifter had to say, as his 300zx now puts out over 400rwkw, but it was originally an NA that had only 110rwkw.

PS: HPI or Zoom, can't remember which, did a comparison between a TT 300zx and a R33 gtst some time ago and even they recognized the inherent power of the Zed. B)

those 300zxs have crap handling on the track compared to a skyline. ive driven both (unless there was somehting wrong with the 300zx)

I would suggest that the zed you drove still had the original dampeners/springs from 15 years ago. Simple upgrades make all the difference. My zed makes no power, (1/4 15.897), yet I can lap almost as fast as liners with twice the power. They have a lower centre of gravity, have a better weight distribution, are only 40kg heavier and a wider wheel track. My upgrades are bilstiens/apexi front C/O's, rear kyb/apexi C/O's, urathane bushes/pinnapples, slotted rotors with ultimates, front /rear mugen strut bars, r compounds and std sway bars. Engine is an NA but has a shit load of torque, so it pulls hard through the corners. Last SAU track day at Oran Park, I was able to hold my own against r32 gtr's, r33 gtr's and r34 gtr's. The z32 has almost identicle setup to a R32 GTR. B)

Ports I must admit Ive always been a skyline man through and through but zeds are appealing to me. As far as I know they came out with 206kw did they not?

Also what year were they manufactured up to, and what are some of the creature comforts inside the car?, as they were 80k new i think.

Yeh stock twin turbos had that number, but all Jap sports cars are set to this number of the show room floor, the car makers have a 'gentlemens agreement' to limit the power to 205kw.

The z32 300zx was first released in 1989 and was built continuously untill 1998. They then released a 2000 model as a limited ed, Stillen inspired.

The Aus delivered Zed 1990 came as a non-turbo and was $79,990 + ORC.The 1994 zed was $87,990 + ORC. The specs of the zed varied, but this car was Nissans 'flag ship model', so fully spec'ed, you could add power and leather everything.

The r32 GTR was released in Aus in 1991 and was priced at $110,000 + ORC.

The twin turbo z32 was not for sale in Aus but was priced at about the same as the GTR.

I have a Wheels mag from 1991 May that was the first road test of a R32 GTR, Kevin Bartlett was the lucky driver, and he more or less 'blows his load' over it. They tested the liner against a Honda NSX, BMW M5, Ferrari Mondial and a Porsche Carrera 4. The GTR was heads and shoulders above anything he had tested before.

Infact the only car that they had previously tested that handled as good and better insome cases was the Z32 300ZX.

I will soon add this article to a sticky some where as it makes very interesting reading..... B)