SAU Community

Washing The Engine Bay Of A Skyline?

emjaksa

I washed mine about a month ago at concord car wash, covered my pod filter with a plastic bag and used degreaser followed by high pressure rinse and hoped for the best. Luckily had no pronblems and drove off and its been fine.

With my previous car (mazda astina) washed it the same way and a shit load of water got into my spark plugs and was f**ked till i realised and got the water out.

I used this method also. It must have got some water into the lines fo my boost gauge though as the gauge was reading 1bar @ idle and off the chart as soon as the turbo actually spooled.

be careful if you are degreasing with the gerni.I stuffed a belt tensioner pulley that way.Degreased the grease out and the bearings in it seazed squeeled a bit and snap..! one Belt left one the road on the way to work.Luckily it was only the Air con belt..

i washed my engine bay like 3 weeks ago.All i did was cover the BOV and air filter..

used like 3/4 of a can of degreaser, spray it all over and everywhere :D in the engine bay that is

then spray it down with high pressure water hose

after that car start as normal and it was fine but didnt notice any differences beside my engine was all wet

mayb coz it was dark.. :D

i only 'dry wash' my car. no water.

=polish, degreaser and LOTS of rags and patience.

works a treat but takes 30min to 1hr for a very detailed clean

AND a blow with a air compressor to get rid of polish residue and stuff

Edited by r33cruiser

I've heard of some detailing places using steam cleaning for the engine bay. gets the grease out easily with minimal water. That's a much safer option that a high pressure hose. the only thing is paying someone else to do it as i'm sure not many people keep a steam cleaner handy.

I also agree do it all by hand!!!!!!

I actually did it this morning took 2 hours.

Thats engine from top and underneath plus i did the exhaust.

I know someone who sprayed it with degreaser then water, turned the car on to dry it but ended up in flames

Doing by hand is a must..

I stuck a hose under my bonnet once and water got into the coilpacks and the car was bubbling when i accelerated... Had to take out all the coilpacks and air dry one by one.. :(

I also agree do it all by hand!!!!!!

I actually did it this morning took 2 hours.

Thats engine from top and underneath plus i did the exhaust.

I know someone who sprayed it with degreaser then water, turned the car on to dry it but ended up in flames

*Puts on Pauline Hanson voice* Please explain?

I use to spray the electricals with a silicon spray to keep the water out i never had a problem, just use to cover the pod filters, alternator. degreaser and full pressure of the garden hose. i do the same on my 4wd as it get high pressure washed under the bonnet on a regular basis never had a problem yet.