SAU Community

Extreme Heat

hey i have another question for you all tonight sorry to be a pain the arse

my problem at the moment is heat in the cabin of the car its friggin stupid i mean it will be freezing cold outside and after driving for bout 30min its so hot like even the windows down at 110km/h its hot

ok so this is what i have to work with i have a rb20 in a silvia engine bay at the moment there is no room for anything else in the bay lucky i have all i need

mods are

big turbo high mount custom manifold no engine fan just 2 12inch electric thermo fans with a thermo controll switch

now the engine never over heats thanks to the thermos it has a twin core 32 radiator so all that is covered to protect the ebgine

but now it seems all the heat is soaking the fire wall and filling the car at the moment the manifold and the dump are heat rapped but i know i need a bag for the turbo (its coming)

now how do i stop the heat getting to the fire wall and sweating to death (im dreeding summer)

i was thinking of using a reflective tape known as Flash-tac its used on roofing to seal out water but it has a foil backing on it on the non sticky side

will this get rid of the heat soak from the wall or make it worse

also i was going to raise the bonnet hinges for the air to flow out

PLEASE I NEED HELP

with this if anyone can help with any ideas i dont care how gay they sound ill try it ill do anything

THANKS IN ADVANCE

MATT

also does the reflective tape idea sound good

way out of left field but set the aircon temp to 18deg and then turn it off. see if that helps. if my aircon is set to 28deg or what not and the aircon is off heat still comes out the vents even though its off

way out of left field but set the aircon temp to 18deg and then turn it off. see if that helps. if my aircon is set to 28deg or what not and the aircon is off heat still comes out the vents even though its off

no air con was removed for the sake of fitt the twin thermos had to remove get rid of the condensor as i could only mount the thermos on the front side of radiator

cheers anyway

matt

anything else

wrap the turbo with a turbo insulating bag and the exhaust manifold and dump pipe with heat resistant tape, that should keep a little bit of the heat in. Line the inside of the firewall with some insulation mats and cover them up with carpet.

Only a few suggestions

Chris

You got rid of the a/c but did you get rid of the heater core?

what heater core there is only a radiator and a/c condensor at the front of the car

i have removed the a/c condensor (the unit in front of the radiator withg the a/c pipes that go to the a/c unit) and the a/c unit itself....and what does this have to do with the heat problem

wrap the turbo with a turbo insulating bag and the exhaust manifold and dump pipe with heat resistant tape, that should keep a little bit of the heat in. Line the inside of the firewall with some insulation mats and cover them up with carpet.

Only a few suggestions

Chris

yeah i have done all that its in the first post

(manifold and the dump are heat rapped but i know i need a bag for the turbo (its coming) )

but the lining of the inside is a good idea can do that with as well as the angine bay side of the firewall

As Paulr33 said..

Hit the recirc button on the climate control.

If I don't even though the climate control is turned off air still flows through from out side and heats up the car damn quick.

Only way to stop it is to turn it to 18degree's (sometimes that doesn't work as my climate control goes dicky every so often and constantly pumps hot air) and hit the recirc button.

i wouldn't use the roofing insulation though go for the proper automotive stuff. thermo-tec make some as do billion and i'm sure other brands too. raising the trailing edge of the bonnet may help, or a vented bonnet would be even better.

heater core is behind dash/glovebox on passenger side.

There are 2 coolant lines going into the firewall on passenger side (which go to the heater core), you can try removing them, and plumbing it back.

It sounds like there is a problem with the climate control which is making it always heat. It wouldn't be radiated heat from engine bay coming through.

The difference between heat and cool in the aircond is just a flap. Might pay to check that. I doubt if the firewall is getting hot enough to heat the cabin.

Also, you might just be getting hot air from the base of the windscreen which is where the aircond gets its outside air.

as most posts are about climate controll ill answer that in a couple of words

no climate controll

as for the rest i am doing the bonnet raise tonight

and how do i check the flap for cool and heat is working but thats not the prob because when the air is off its still just as hot but the heat is not coming from the vents

i have noticed the other day that some off the bungs are missing in the firewall id say this is where most of my problem is coming from

what people are saying is that although you have no climate control, the flaps may still be open letting hot air in, my car gets a bit hot in the cabin and its got the engine that was made for it.

so i think you can't completely get rid of the problem

shit not what i want to hear

cheers

How did you go with the heaters core? Is that particular part still in the car? If so maybe take it out? Also, did raising the rear of the bonnet help slightly (obviously wont 'fix' the problem though...)?

Brendan