SAU Community

Police Defects

BBQ

Ok how far can police go??

I got pulled over the other night in my fairly stock r33 only thing done to it is a 3” exhaust and a pod filter. And no blow of valve

The police officer was adamant I had a atmospheric blow of valve and searched the engine furiously for one, he even accused me of having one, cause he herd me nailing it from the lights which is the biggest load of crap.

Also he asked me to rev my motor to find the blow off valve, and he was revving my car to 7000rpm and you could here the internal waste gate fluttering and he’s saying to me that noise their, You have rigged up your waste gate to be louder then standard. And saying to me that it is illegal, Also I didn’t think they can touch your car ?

Were talking a stock r33 turbo and actuator with stock Boost here, And he was comparing my car to his Xr6 turbo actuator sound.

Still accusing me off gigging up my waste gate some how to be louder then standard, he continued to look over the car, and said that I must have my POD filter on a solid bracket to the body of the car ? Does any one know if this is actually ture or not. My other question is, I have a small sticker on my front windscreen up the very very top, He also said that my wind screen wipers will hit that sticker and he was going to issue me a defect for it. Can any one shed some light on that rule ?

Also is it illegal to not have your radiator shrouding on your radiator ? As he tried to say to me I must have my shrouding on my radiator as its illegal ? It was taken off as it was cracked and hitting the fan.

How far can they go ?

well you should have asked for his name, badge number and stationhe works at.

then you should have asked him if he actually knows what kind of sound a wastgate actually makes.

the sound is from not having a bov and air going back through the turbo.

not your wastegate.

and if his XR6T is making the same noise, then how can he hassle you for it?

I'm surprised he didn't defect you for HAVING a pod filter in the first place.

but yes, it should be secured to the body of the car.

radiator shroud should be there so that the fan can do it's job and actually create a vacuum to suck the hot air out the radiator.

it just seems like you came across a prick.

That sux man.

I 'spose at the end of the day if you wanted to fight it YOU would have to prove you didnt have the bov.

I dont belive they are allowed to touch your car, but unless you were video recording him doing it, i dont think you can do anything.

The pod filter bracket thing makes sense, but im not sure

As for your sticker, i would say you cant have any stickers unless its on the inside of the window and prolly only the "next service is due" sticker.

I'm 99.9% sure you have to have the shroud on, not only does it keep you radiator cooler but i think its some sort of saftey thing

Sorry to hear about your "harrasment" (spelling??) They all sound like pretty petty little things to get you for.......Pricks

Sounds like you got a prick. When i got defected and he trying to test my blow off valve he got me to start the car and rev it myself but i only took to like 2000rpm. Yeah i didnt think he was allowed to touch your let alone car and rev it to redline. You could fight it but is it really worth it?

the only thing he was correct on is the sticker, if your wipers hit it it is illegal(supposedly) the rest.....pod needs to be in a sealed box, but does NOT have to be solid mounted to the body. fan shround should be there, but it is not a legality thing.

the tool doesnt know shi7.

the only thing he was correct on is the sticker, if your wipers hit it it is illegal(supposedly) the rest.....pod needs to be in a sealed box, but does NOT have to be solid mounted to the body. fan shround should be there, but it is not a legality thing.

the tool doesnt know shi7.

Thanks V8SkylineMan, That’s what I though at first but I didn't bother arguing the point with him. He was in an unmarked Silver like ford falcon, They are apparently up from down south doing a big blitz on imports.

Mean while I had about 50 S!it boxes with blown head lights and rust though out the whole car, drive straight past and they don’t even get looked at. Its crap.

Pod filters DO NO HAVE TO BE BOLTED DOWN!!!!!

FFS!! I went to main roads to have the car inspected, they said its a bullshit fine, there is no rule.. the only rule close to it is simply the car must be fitted with a filter to arrest flames in the event of a backfire...

Now yesterday i got pulled over again... By a nice policeman (yes i know its surprising) Whom i had a bit of a chat with... Now he said at the meetings they have with the head honchos they have been told to stop fining people for pod filters as there is no rule for... he said himself personally had never written a ticket for one and was happy that i was trying my best to keep my car legal...

Bravo John!! The cops with even a passing interest in cars are pretty PO'ed at the traffic branch weenies who issue defects based on mood. They give the whole service a black eye. 90% of the cops I know are decent blokes who would be more interested in looking over your car to see how good a car it is. They are supposed to be looking for "blatantly unroadworthy vehicles" meaning the cars with rust holes and missing pieces.

amen to that NA_R33. I was sick of being pulled over and told that i had to have it bolted down and them trying to tell me that its illegal.

went and had a chat with a cop about this issue and he said the exact same thing. doesnt have to be bolted down as there is no ruling about it and they cant hand out defects or fines for it. it was nice to meet a good cop for once who respected the fact that i was trying to do everything right so i didnt get any unwanted attention.

nice to know they still exist....

still its a hassle no matter what way you look at the situation when a cop hands u a fine for unecessary defects that arent even true, then u have to go to court to prove them wrong and waste your money and time. like when u have to take a day off work to go to court. i cant believe they can just do that.

mate of mine got defected for having his exhaust too loud, even tho it was more quieter than most systems, no sound test just "I say its too loud so it must be". Plus he had an aluminium drift wing that he got a defect for cos it "poses a danger to pedestrians" as the leading edges are too thin and could slice someone up. :rolleyes:

I now carry around a copy of the queensland transport booklet thingy on modifications, so if someone trys to do me for being too low- measure it. too loud, measure it.. its there black and white.

go down to your local department of transport and ask for one.

its not that big the one they hand out so im sure there is a big one somehwere else hiding also i got the number of one of the persons that is in charge of the modifcations section...havnt given him a call yet though

If they give u fine for being to loud appeal it...thats garbage unless our exhuast is blatantly illegal...ie not cat they cannot fine you without measuring the level of dB emitted....

If they give u fine for being to loud appeal it...thats garbage unless our exhuast is blatantly illegal...ie not cat they cannot fine you without measuring the level of dB emitted....