SAU Community

Funky Electrical Issue.

homerz

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone found them selves in a similar situation to me and may be give me a hint at what it was.

Anywho, after trying to start my car, I noticed that the car started without any probs, but all the electricals inside and outside including the deck, instruments, cabin lights, brake lights, etc did not work. The only thing that worked was the far light and the high beam (separate circuit I presume).

The first thing I though of was fuse, so I get out my voltmeter, ready to start checking. After testing the brake lights and pumping the brake for a while everything just came back on suddenly (coincidence me thinks). So I'm a bit stupefied and it has only happened once more in the past 2 weeks.

So I'm assuming it could be a stuck relay switch somewhere, or somethin similar.

A friend of mine was having a wild guess that the computer turned everything off for some reason - but we don't give too much credit to that theory.

Any advice / similar problems.

Appreciated!

:P

Edited by homerz

yeah stay away from that "computer took over my car" kind of thinking - that was the mentality of the early 90s..

if you have checked the fuses under the dash and inside the engine bay, then either could be a faulty relay or a loose connection somewhere

an auto electrition could probably find the problem in less than 30mins next time it happens..

good luck,

Warren.

Thanks for the hints guys, I think I'm still sticking to my initial instinct regarding the relay. I suppose an auto electrician is the way to proceed. I just thought its something that people have experienced before. I know electricals are tricky at times, like chasing a ghost in the machine.

Thanks again.

bad earth some where maybe?? So many things to check.

Earth to battery is it covered in acid (clean it if so)

there is also some fuses and relays in the boot (just under the rear pacel shelf)

Check the wires under the dash, as you said that when you pumped the brake it all come back, so maybe under therem there is a broken wire.

Next take it to any auto elec $50 - $100 should cover it.

I would check the main connections and the obvious things first.

I highly doubt its a relay, as it would not control that many things.

You have to get it playing up to take it to an auto elec. Otherwise they will check the main things, then have to go through the lengthy process of checking everything.

Cheers

Matt

unsure if skyline is same as a s13

but i had this problem once in a silvia....i was driving and everything died exept for the lights.

on the possitive battery terminal there is a plug with a couple of wire running to it,with spade connectors on the ends

put them wires out of the terrminal clean and push back in so there is a nice tight fit

hopefully that helps

cheers softy

• 3 years later...
Maybe a faulty / failing connection of one of the fusible links onto the battery.

I just recently had this exact same problem - turned out it was the fusible link after all, except mine was coming on when i revved the engine past 3k rather than the brake pedal.

-D