SAU Community

R 32 Gtr Twin Turbo Setup

SRB

new to skylines, jus come from a sr20 sil80....

car i jus bought has motec, injectors, exhaust, and nos solenoid, seeing if its hooked up tomoro.

jus wondering really street fast!what twin turbo setup to use to achieve this power. i want a really fast street car. im not a dreamer ive got the moeny but new to the gtr twin turbo setup.

also opinions about single turbo setup, but i dont want MUCH lag!!! as everyone must say!

please any opinions and reccommendations, i kno diddly squat about the motor, i believe it has all internal work and ill try find out engine specs asap.

going from injectors, motec, cam gears, cams etc what turbo setup is reliable? practical? and achieving 500-600hp at wheels.

thanks. novak

Edited by SHOW_ME

if you want zero lag, and are willing to invest in a few other things than just turbos.... (no miracle setup here sorry....)

GT-SS will give you 600-650 flywheel hp

but you have to do more than bolt on the turbos and turn up the boost...

search button gtss or my name or merli,600hp,kebab and a few others....

the car already has cams, cam gears, pistons, rods etc, im jus waiting to see which ones wen we take the engine apart.

im jus wondering what combination of turbos is good for 500-600hp at wheels if not more!!! :) i kno more things need to be taken into consideration, but say i had all those things..thats what im asking, which combination and estimated prices???

Edited by SHOW_ME

you don't want lag? and want 600hp at the wheels?

sell the engine and buy an OS 3ltr.... or be prepared for lag central

the closest you might get is say a JUN 2.7 crank with GTRS turbos...or

a single TO4z

morgs has the Z making a lazy 500 right now....

if you must have high mount twins with external gates and 600hp atw then i think you need to go to a twin HKS 2835 set-up. probably best matched with the HKS 2.8L kit if you have the dough. if not just stick some HKS 2530s on your existing set-up and enjoy 500hp atw.

A reality check.........keep in mind it's a 2.6 litre engine hauling 1600+kgs (inc driver and fuel).

1. a standard RB26 with its ~200 4whp is pretty dead down low, doesn't realy get up go till 4,000 rpm, but has quick response to throttle inputs

2. a mildly upgraded RB26 with ~300 4whp looses very little bottom end, but picks up quite a bit of top end

3. a thoroughly upgraded RB26 with ~450 4whp actually gains a little bottom end and a lot of top end and has better than standard throttle response.

4. a heavily upgraded RB26 with ~550 4whp loses a heap of bottom end, has very little performance under 5,000 rpm, jumps quickly in power and has a great big top end. The throttle response is good once over that rpm.

5. a highly upgraded RB26 with ~650 4whp is a dog below 6,000 rpm, has a light switch power delivery, nothing ......nothing ....hang on. Is very tricky to drive fast in the dry and almost impossible in the wet.

On the street (which is not really the place for a GTR) #3 has proven to be consistently the fastest in the sort of conditions I encounter. It is my personal favourite every day street (occasional circuit) RB26 spec. Plus it gives good value (performance) for money, each step above that seems to double the cost and halve the enjoyment.

:P cheers :D

PS; adding capacity (2.7 litres, 2.8 litres 3.0 litres and 3.1 litres) helps the above considerably.

Edited by Sydneykid

well i know you can achieve around mid 500's at the wheels with a twin low mount GT2560R 707160-5 turbo setup with what i describe as no lag what so ever (~20psi) as i have done it on a number of different cars the other turbos to concider would be HKS2530 but i believe these don't arn't as efficient at low boost levels. Personally i don't think you need motec as the pfc is an awesome ecu but ha if your got the money to spend to purchase such a unit and tune it why not. The most critical thing with this kind of setup is a free flowing exhaust(critical) as a slightly restrictive exhaust with kill top end power and torque and dull the turbo responce.

To get you and idea of the performance of a well put to getting combo

i recently built a r34 which on first serious tune made 524rwhp at a low 16.8psi (please keep in mind this turbos will run 20psi no worries Garret Australia informed me there rated to 2bar)with not cam timing tuning done or anything, the only reason we didn't turn it up was the std fuel system was starting struggle (yes a std fuel system makes 500rwhp happly) so we have fit a nismo fuel pump now and cam wheels and we went to try again be the own had fitted a quiet exhaust system which had unbelievable changed the total motor charactisics (i would not have believed such a difference if i had seen it myself) so needless to say we have refitted the good exhaust and will be turning up the whick very soon.

summary yes you can achieve what you want but i wouldn't stray for twin low mount or get to big on the cam duration (especially exhaust) or you will suffer low responce problems.

my 2c

pete

im jus waiting to see if the car has been set up with motec or the guy was jus talkin shit about it... tuesday will tell all about my engine ;) if not, ill jus grab the power fc pro n my problems are solvered :P lol

im jus waiting to see if the car has been set up with motec or the guy was jus talkin shit about it... tuesday will tell all about my engine :) if not, ill jus grab the power fc pro n my problems are solvered :) lol

GTR problems aren't always so easily 'solvered'.

i was being sarcastic by saying solvered..:) but to me, if it doesnt have motec, which i kno it does now.. its as easy as plugging in the pfc. to me that was problem solved.. :)