SAU Community

Hicas Gone Mad

hey folks,

On a bit of a highway trip a week or two ago, abour 40 minutes into it i realised that i was holding about 30-60 degrees to the right to keep the car straight, sure enough just as i realised the warning light came on. kept goin for another ten or fifteen problems then pulled over. after turning the car off and on it came good. does anyone know wat could have happend?

Now theres a good question.

HICAS is designed to turn the rear wheels slightly when you least expect it, throwing you off the race track.

But maybe a better explaination is that it is the active rear wheel steering on skylines and some other nissans. And over the last 15 years plenty of people have started having trouble with it, most often when they have installed an aftermarket steering wheel

exactly like that....loosen off the steering wheel, drive in a straight line for say 20m, then put the wheel on as straight as you can. drive another 20m to make sure you got it right then bolt it in place.

Of course if you have the wrong boss kit for your car that wont help :)

that would be the crooked steering boss problem, the steering wheel sensor is not straight and after 10min or so without turning HICAS gives an error since it figures you can't have been driving in circles for 10min

hi all

I have the same problem with my r32 gtr 10minutes driving on the expressway (no sharp turning) and the hicas warning comes on.

I have what appears to be the original wheel with the boss as part of the wheel so it cant be put on wrong position. there is a drive dog that locates the horn ring and steering angle sensor at the bottom and a 3pin socket for the horn wiring that locates at the top of the wheel so both are aligned vertical. there is a factory looking centre punch mark on the end of the steering shaft that lines up with the same mark on the wheel BUT on inspection of the zero degrees slot in the sensor disk it is about 160 deg right of the sensor. it all looks factory but either the wheel or the sensor must be from another model. Any help on how to id the right parts.

the wheel is 3 spoke leather bound with leather gtr horn button about 50mm dia.

Thanx

this might be a dumb question but how do u know if hicas is still working? i dunno if i have the bar, wat do i look for?

Yo Mass .... check this thread ..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=58778

This is from the Tutorail section..

shows the procedure for adding the bar.... so you can see what the hicas and bar look like ..

Cheers

My Hicas light comes on aswell like what Duncan was saying about after a while on the highway..

I have stock steering wheel - but for some reason when you line up the car to go straight the steering wheel is about 5-10 deg off being straight. SHould I take wheel off and rotate?? Is it possible with the stock wheel?

Or should I be getting a wheel alignemnt.

A mechanic thought I needed a new sensor - but the wheel is definately off centre so maybe should fix that first??