SAU Community

Your Opinions/suggestions On My Planned Mods

Well i was searching around this excellent forum to check out some stuff and some interesting things came up. For one the issue of the R33 factory ecu being a pain when you do mods because it makes the car run really rich and bad also that adding a fmic creates lag. I have a standard series 2 R33 and i want to do 3 mods but unsure now because of these issues. The mods im planning to do are

- turbo back exhaust with split dump

-panel filter

- FMIC ( im going to buy the one that attaches to factory pipes so no cutting into chassis or fan blades)

The thing is would the ecu crap itself if i did these mods or i would i be better off safety wise getting a safc and tuned by a pro, i would go the power fc but im not interested in boosting at all as i want to increase power by a bit and have the cool racer look with the fmic, thats where the issue of the FMIC comes in, do fmic's increase lag?? im going to have a full turbo back so i will have a minor increase in boost so yeh will it affect drivability?? What are your thoughts as I want to discuss these things with you skyline savvy people before i go and do anything. thanks for your replies in advance.

with these mods you will be fine with the factory ecu, just don't wind the boost above 10psi, or you'll go rich and retard and loose about 30rwkw of power.

with these mods, At 10psi, you'll get about 140rwkw

yea my car runs like crap at the moment casue of the factory ecu

i have full 3inch exhuast +hi flow cat, pod filter, FMIC, electronic boost controler......and it went harder the day i brought wit just bov,pod and cat back

dosnt matter the power fc will be coming soon

i think with ur mods u will notice ur car runs kinda worse wit the factory ecu...mine does

youll find it hard to increase power with adding some more boost. adding some more boost (to a certain extent) increase airflow. airlfow makes power, if you run 12psi with an safc it should make some good power, if you run powerfc with 12psi it should make a little more power and drive awesome.

Hey mate, I'm looking to do the same thing to my stocky s2 r33... I've got a k&n panel filter in (I really don't care for pods), and i'm now looking for a split dump and 3" exhaust.

I've heard that a split dump pipe is only really effective if it is of a reasonable length. i.e if it is a dump and down pipe in one. (all the way to the cat)

As for the cooler, they do exist, if you're wondering. I can't remember the brand, but there is a FMIC that will use your stock plumbing/holes to get the air to and from it. I was considering using the R34GTT cooler, as they are a little thicker, will bolt right up in the same spot, and flow more air and are supposed to be good for a max of 220kw?

I think I won't bother with spending mega bucks and running a bunch of wires through my car by buying a PowerFC. Possibly an air/fuel controller will keep the ratio's correct... giving more power for the mods without over-richening (yes it's a word... from now on) the engine.

Let me know how you go man, i'm really keen to see what mods make what power, and i'm looking to dyno my car soon, and then once each time I do a significant mod to it.

Cheers!

Randy, the powerfc is a plug n play ecu, takes ya about 10 mins to install and like 10 mins for it to set itself up while idleing, and then your good to go. I think you can get them for like 1000-1100 with controller del, which is a good price. imo thats not mega bucks and its not running a bunch of wires through my car.

Infact, correct me if im wrong, but there would be more time spent in setting up an air/fuel ratio controller then there would be with a powerfc?

Not being rude mate, but what youve said just doesnt seem practical to me at all, or youve got your wires mixed up.

Edited by r33_racer

yeah, I know what they are, and what they cost... I thought you had to get a proper tuner go over it after you install it?

Ah well... it's big dollars to me... =-] (bought the car for 16K)