Zebbie

Ok, I'm running a SII R33 GTST, with the following :

Mines ECU (afaik jap tuned)

FMIC,

T3/4 Hibrid, Steel, BB,

Rising Rate Reg,

Dump Pipes,

3" cat back,

Pod (no heat sheild, as changing to box)

Last Dyno, 197rwkw.

For a good while, i have been thinking that the fuel pump was on its way out, as it couldn't cope (aka keep fuel flowing) on a 2nd/3rd gear hard boost (10psi) -

before the last cruise, on BP fuel, added some octane booster as well - still pinged, hard.

It was pinging like it was going out of fashion - usually at about 5-6k, 10 pis, 80-90% throttle)

(If kept at 3/4 throttle most of the way, and then pushed, no pinging - seemed like pressure/fuel delivery)

Yesterday, I filled up at shell, instead of BP, and no pinging...

Is there any difference between BP & Shell 98?

help... Time to get a new pump, stick with shell? - any other ideas?

mines tune - there is your answer.

They are tuned for 102ron+ japanese fuel.

Watched a mates car that was mines chipped die.

Get a real ecu, and tune out the pinging, before you blow up your motor due to too much ignition advance for our fuel.

thats no good i have always found that bp 98 has been the best, but mind you some of the syngey 98 in sydney seemed very good as well, got a lot more K's out of a tank than normal, with the same power feeling.

Good luck

id agree with mafia, how can you expect a jap tuned car to run nicely on 98? even with the octane booster your prob only pushing 100+/- 1 or 2..

as we would get an ecu tuned for our top pump fuel which is 98, the ex owner prob got the ecu tuned for the their best available pump fuel as above.

I bet they played with the base timing. Also, I think the top jap fuel is about 108 ron. What if its tuned to that? Who the f**k knows what the mines chip is tuned for... Thats exactly what they are...a mine, just waiting to go off.

Get a Power FC or something and get rid of the mines ecu before it gets rid of your piston's ring lands....

what im worried about is how you are picking up the pinging? can you hear it? geez it must be harsh if you can hear it, i can see knock of 100+ on the powerfc and never hear it, hate to know what knock your getting if you can hear it...

They probably adjusted the base timing at the 100k service. Put the timing back to where it was when it wasn't pinging maybe 3 deg less from where you are. Just to be safe. Take note if you retard the timing too far you will start to loose power, acceleration and it may even miss.

here's an idea.

get back on a dyno and see what the a:f ratios are like now.

$60 it will cost you.

why risk it?

as said, if they played with the base timing, it will have a big effect.

I feel for your engine (and pocket) if you can actually HEAR the pinging.

think about it....

you are hearing a sound which is inside your engine..

you are hearing it over traffic, bonnet, sound deadner, exhaust, turbo...

all those noises and you can still hear it rattling away like a mofo..

so think about the actual damage you are causing.

:D

Edited by GTST

Get rid of the Mines ECU.

Japanese tuned ROM's like the Mines ecu and Blitz access are common causes of engine carnage. They are tuned for much higher octane Japanese fuel and werent designed for the fuel or conditions here in Australia

Considering the current exchange rate, get yourself a Power FC

Well, since I had the 100K done, it seems that this problem has started... I'm not sure if it's related to that tbh.

Thats your problem , when you changed the timming belt the base timming has changed , the cas wasn't put back in the same spot .

Get it checked with a timing light and put back to specs 15 degrees @650rpm for an rb25det .

You will find the mines ecu woulb be tuned for 100 ron but if it wasn't pinging before it should still be ok . Dont drive it like that anymore you are lucky you havent busted a ringland !

Standard fuel in japan is 90ron , premium 100 ron and they have 105 ron pump fuel as well but you dont see it at petrol stations much .