SAU Community

Ceramic Clutch Drivability Feedback

hi guys, need some feedback from people with experiences with ceramic 9 puck clutches. i need to do a clutch upgrade real soon on my r33 gtst and will be in the 250rwkw region and have been told i will need a ceramic clutch. just a bit worried what drivability will be like. is it possible to make a smooth/normal take off once you get the hang of it? is it as bad as people say it is, 'its either in or out'? and is it really that bad to drive? sorry for all the questions but am just really worried.

thanks.

i dunno about a 9 puk.. or a ceramic in a skyline for that matter...

ive got a 5 puk in my commodore :( and i can take off normally in that.

im not sure if its good for the presure plate / flywheel or not but it is possible.

ive heard of people in this forum who have gone through a 9 puck clutch in something like 2 months or less. is this by trying too hard to take off normally? or just hard driving? arent ceramic clutches meant to last longer than organic clutches?

I have one of those extreme 9puck ceramic clutch and it's fine.I've had it holding 190rwhp for about 2yrs and now it's holding 270rwhp.It's been at 270rwhp for about 6months and has'nt slipped yet!

Sometimes it shudders on take offs but that is me not revving it enough.I can slip it if i want but it's not good for it.

Depending on where your based if in Sydney you could try calling Western Clutch in St Marys I highly recomend them I am using one of there button clutchs and it is great I am only running with a 180 kws at the treads but it has held up fine and is very easy to drive on the street .

Edited by spx25t

Yep got one in my R33, your granny could drive with one not much different to an organic clutch at all. Good for traffic and spirited runs. Driven 5 puck aswell which is alot more to get used to. Prob good for cars with around 200rwkw not a heap more. :)

I'm running one behind an rb25 making 220rwkw. It's been in for over 6 months with no problems. Thats with a 1060kg pressure plate.

Nice to drive, a little bitey/shuddery when engaged with low revs.

No idea, and no idea...sorry not much help there. But my clutch kit was about 900 bux, got it from coventry. clutch plate, pressure plate, throwout bearing. I have no idea what the force rating is on the pressure plate.

I would recommend the exedy one though, i thought $900 was cheap for what it is. I was expecting a slipping clutch at high rpm dumps, but nothing as yet. :blink:

I run a extreme 9puck ceramic. Its done ~22,000km's in whats nearing a year of driving. :blink:

It is fairly bitey, often causes a bit of driveline backlash when reversing. Taking off can be done smoothly without chirps.

I'm a little paranoid about riding it though, they absolutely chew stock flywheels to bits.

A ceramic clutch mated to a stock flywheel will tend to be a little more bitey, molly flywheels are harder as a result less bitey.

I do run quite a heavy pressure plate, some where around 1tonne. Its the HD.

Next time around I will try the same weight pressure plate with an organic full face, if it ends up slipping I will go back to the 9puk. Mainly because riding ceramic clutches is a no no.

Edited by Cubes