SAU Community

Do we have a club here?

Red Sky II

Just wondering whether WA already has a formal SAU club or whether there are plans for one if not, like the one they have just set up in NSW?

If we don't, would people be interested in such a thing?

Thought this would have been discussed before but didn't find anything when I did a search for "club" and "membership" on the WA section.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point although a formal club would make things more, you know, formal !!!

It seemed to me that all states were going to form state based clubs then a national one but I may be wrong.

Being in a club, makes everyone feel more a part of it, helps in defraying the costs of things like stickers, cruises, etc, stuff like that. Plus formalising it makes those that really want to be a part of it all be so as it costs a small amount of money to join so we know all those that a part of the club are serious about their cars (or just too wealthy).

These are just some ideas I thought I would throw out there - if the consensus turns out to be no formal club then that's cool.

Okay i'll set u straight.

Originally the idea was to have one national club, this idea worked out to be to much hassles for administration, meetings, AGM, insurance etc.

This lead to the decision to form a skylines australia club in each state and have them associated with each other through this forum. This is whats happening now. NSW is all setup and ready to take members, but having very little success at getting them.

Victoria is nearly setup but have a decent number of guys already signed and paid up.

Qld and WA have stalled.

WA has stalled as the large majority of reactions i get or here are that we in WA prefer it the way it is now, casual and free.

I have all the paperwork and get copies of relevant documents from the NSW and VIC guys when and if they are ever needed.

cost is one of the major reasons WA is not happening. To cover, public liability insurance, CAMS affiliation, administration, auditor etc the first year costs for the club would be in the vacinity of $80 a year and about $50-60 there after.

If a club was wanted it would take till about June to be ready if we started tomorrow and everything went smoothly.

To start one you need atleast 10 people willing ot join and pay. but the most we've ever had at one time is about 8. with the 10 people the initial start up costs going on the prices i was given in early 2002 would be $110 each and that would leave nothing in the kitty which is not good.

So thats why WA is staying a community of skyline lovers and not a formal incorperated club for now.

In short:

Not enough interest

costs to much

and people prefer it the way it is.

I have no problem with the idea of an official club, but until we have enough people who want to join then it's not viable. No one wants to join a club of 10 people, which cost $100/year and they have no money to do anything.

We still manage to do quite alot of activities, and while many lack real organisation we still have fun at them.

Skyzerr,

Perhaps it is worth setting up a Sticky thread to gauge the number of people willing to be members based on a specified fee. That way we would know if there is sufficient interest to even look into doing it. There is no point wasting your time or others for something that won't get off the ground.

See'ya:burnout:

I have a little suggestion, why don't we start the club at $50 per head, but start fundraising, even now.

We hold official cruises, and each person pay say $2 to join the cruise (non-members), we sell stickers at a profit. These sorts of things, the money will add up very quickly, I think we could be making $100 per cruise, plus the $50's for the members joining each year, I would pay that purely for the cams licence.

Greg.

Skyzerr, thanks for the detailed post on the current position and agreed if there is a lack of interest then it is not worth doing due to costs being too high. I was once a Social Club President at work and know the "joys" of getting people to join, etc.

In relation to audit costs, etc that shouldn't be a problem as I work in an accounting firm so could get audit cheap (I can't do it as I am a liquidator not an auditor). Accounting for the club I would be willing to take on at no cost.

Before we headed down this path though I would suggest asking for membership and asking people to put their money where there mouths are up front so that funds are on hand. All too common people saying they will until the crunch comes then they change their mind.

But in the end, if no interest then no club - that simple and if we what we do now works and everyone is happy then that's cool.

Look it was a smimple Idea by a simple guy, I know there would be a lot more work needed to be done, and for about the 20th time, I am happy to assist in any way possible to get this as a club off the ground..

I was under the impression that to get a cams licence you had to be a mamber of a Cams affliated group, I know there would be a cost on top of memeber ship.

Greg.

There was talk a while back of entering WA SAU in one of the auto salons or motorvation... please keep in mind to do this we MUST be a registered club... other than that though what are the other benefits of being a club? as mentioned most people are happy about us being a group, perhaps someone could make it clear of why a club is better than a group?

25GTT,

I agree, I don't see where the benefits of a club are, we do plenty of activities already, and there are numerous clubs that have CAMS affiliation already so why not join one of those if you want to do motorkhana's etc.

It would require a huge amount of work to get going, and I don't see that we would be offering anything different to many other existing clubs.

See'ya:burnout: