SAU Community

Got New Rims!

dineth

hey all, not sure if its appropriate to put this on here, but i jus got new rims and they turned out just how i wanted them to! The rims are RJR Bronze 17's. I took a pic in the garage as its raining, gotta get some more pics when the weather is nicer. Tell me what u guys think? All up it cost me 1600 with tyres brand new from Bob jane so pretty happy. Need to lower the car now though cos it sits a bit too high up for my liking. all feedback welcome.

post-2347-1131801115.jpg

Edited by dineth

What tyres did you get on them?

Well i didnt wanna spend too much, so the guy reccomended "Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra" which at first i was a bit iffy about cos ive never really heard of them, but apperntly won the best tyre for 'wet braking' and 'noise' in wheels car mag. I was still skeptical, but thought id give them a go and i actuallly found them to be really good! pleasently surprised. Lot better then the nangkangs and the sumitomos i had on before. The tyres are very quite and handles well in the wet. Get great traction! maybe its cos their still brand new, but so far so good.

Link for the wheels test

http://www.maxxis.com/products/news_article.asp?id=267

Edited by dineth

aw also forgot to mention there is this outer rubber lip that goes around the actual edge of the rim to protect the rim from minor gutter marks (side wall)...which i thought was kinda cool, i dont know if this is standard now with performance tyres though.

They look nice on the black car..seems most tyres are getting a bit lippy nowadayz.

Ohh good deal btw!! Bet you're happy to say goodbye to those nangkangs or as I like to think of them "the tyre of death" coz it's only a matter of time until you lose it really badly :P

Edited by madbung

They look nice on the black car..seems most tyres are getting a bit lippy nowadayz.

Ohh good deal btw!!  Bet you're  happy to say goodbye to those nangkangs or as I like to think of the "the tyre of death" coz it's only a matter of time until you lose it really badly  :P

aw mate tell me about it! in the wet its like ice skating! had hyandais go faster then me around corners in wet days. as soon as u put the power down the back end would just lose it. they really are the tyre of death. I think on 'what not to have on ur boosted skyline" should be "205 Nankangs".

Dam man, they are pretty sweet rims and for such a good price.....might look into bob jane myself for my next set, hopefuly they got something with dish. And thanks for the heads up about nankangs i wont forget that too fast.......although loosing traction round corners does have its fun

Really like the rims mate.The bronze really accentuates the black of the car.

Yeah the nankangs and their bad reputation were only backed up when i was driving the car to the engineers the other day.I accelerated moderate/hard and they wanted to brake traction (255/17's).

Then on the way home,and with ziex 326's (235/17's) on the fronts,the lights changed yellow so i put my foot down and was coming in quick put my foot on the brake and They wanted to skid/chirp rather than grip,then understeer a bit.

Not a track tire imo really only good for compliance and people on a budget.

Hopefully i will be cruising in the next few weeks and i will be able to put some faces to names.

Really like the rims mate.The bronze really accentuates the black of the car.

Yeah the nankangs and their bad reputation were only backed up when i was driving the car to the engineers the other day.I accelerated moderate/hard and they wanted to brake traction (255/17's).

Then on the way home,and with ziex 326's (235/17's) on the fronts,the lights changed yellow so i put my foot down and was coming in quick put my foot on the brake and They wanted to skid/chirp rather than grip,then understeer a bit.

Not a track tire imo really only good for compliance and people on a budget.

Hopefully i will be cruising in the next few weeks and i will be able to put some faces to names.

ye your spot on mate, i mean i dont have much expreince with performance cars, but just getting good tyres that actually stick to the road makes a huge difference then most mods you can do imo. The car now just grips and get a lot quicker acceleration out of corners and just gives u more confidence to drive the thing at a limit, specially in the wet. the maxxis have gotten even better (drive feel wise) as the days have gone by (mind you its only a week and 200km's old).

I don't find the Nankangs that bad... have 225s on the front and 255s on the rear... was a bit dodgy in the wet with my old suspension setup but then again it was dodgy with the Pilot sports I had so... mind you if your driving 'on the limit' in the wet in a 1400kg 350bhp rwd your always going to struggle for traction... (and your sanity)

• 4 weeks later...
I don't find the Nankangs that bad... have 225s on the front and 255s on the rear... was a bit dodgy in the wet with my old suspension setup but then again it was dodgy with the Pilot sports I had so... mind you if your driving 'on the limit' in the wet in a 1400kg 350bhp rwd your always going to struggle for traction... (and your sanity)

I have to agree here. I also run 255s and have thrown on some new NS-2s. Despite being light years better than the worn Bridgestones I had on there, NS-2s are fine in the dry (havn't been out in wet yet). They seem reasonably progressive. I wouldn't drive on the edge with them but can't go past the fact that 4 of these is around the same price as 1 top shelf tyre. BTW, during my years of Go-Karting the best times I had were sliding around in the wet at a safer speed. I would rather see some learners do their drifting slow in the wet than at mad speeds in the dry and learning the hard way.

Axel

One of my mates has a set of Nankang NS-2's on his approx. 170rwkW S15 - he says they're not as bad as their reputation would have you believe.

They're no RT215, but compared to other street tyres with a reasonable lifespan they're not that bad.

Ziex 326's, on the other hand, equal Silverstones as the crappiest tyres I've ever had the misfortune of using. No grip, wet or dry, and squealy. The only benefits they have are that they're cheap and long lasting, which means that should the government ever get semi-serious about road safety and ban re-treads, the 326's will become the new taxi tyre of choice.

Of course, if they got serious they'd ban these tyres too.....