SAU Community

Dyno Results - Running Too Lean On Boost?

dyno2.jpg

Howdy, just wondering about peoples opinions on this dyno chart. Are the a/f ratios too lean??

its an R32/rb20det/goodies:

(HKS 2530/gtrpump/sard 550cc inj/microtech/cams/camgears/3"full zorst/etc)

Thing is, it was tuned at place "x" and place "y" said its too lean to drive at full throttle. PI$$ed off because i have spent money already tuning, and i shouldnt have to spend more!

what does your injector duty show on full load (near where it leans out on the dyno?) if its normal ie: not near 100% then it could be fuel rail / fuel regulator being the bottleneck in your fuel system

not sure, "x" should be able to tell you. it sounds like you need a higher pressure regulator to have more fuel in the fuel line. sounds like on wot throttle the injectors aren't maxing out but the fuel line can't maintain enough pressure and keep it full of fuel so it leans out, at least thats how my understanding of the fuel pressure regulator is? someone else should be able to confirm. im pretty sure you can get higher rated nimo ones which are a direct fit

From what my tuner has said to me it might be ok, does it ping up high?

Ive been told that you have to really put the fuel in on the torque curve cause thats the most likely time pinning will occur then you can lean it off a bit up high. Im not sure if its to lean but just talk with your tuner some more about it.

it doesnt ping at all. yer the tuner said they could remap it for $660 from scratch, including cold start etc, but they didnt speak very highly of microtechs, and basically convinced me to try and get hold of a power fc and Z32 afm... so i might just leave it for a couple of months til i can find one, then go from there....

Is the original harness there? Paulr33 - microtechs dont and will probably never use an afm. It looks to me as though there might not be enough DC the first thing I would try is to increase the injector pulsewidth. The standard FPR will do the job fine. If it is still leaning out chances are its the pump. At 60% DC your using about 2.2l/min of fuel. For around 220rwkw you would want at least 3l/min at 3bar.

Also - just because its not pinging doesn't mean that your not heating the chamber/pistons by running it that lean. If they're standard pistons I would be getting a retune real soon or just adjust your WOT fuel to add 7% 4000 onwards.

Have you had the car on 'y's dyno?

It may be that 'x's o2 sensor requires calibration and is a little out, hence reading lean when it is actually rich.

Before you do anything I would throw it on a different dyno for a power run to see if their dyno also shows its too lean.

Personally I don't think it has fuel pressure or flow problem. It goes richer at around 170 kph. If it had a fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump problem it would continue to get leaner. It looks to me like it has been deliberately tuned that way.

As others have posted, go back to the original tuner and talk to him about it. Tell him the readings and your concerns and give him the chance to respond.

:) cheers ;)

its not that a power fc would fix the problem, i think the microtech just needs a remap, its just that the microtech is pretty inferior to the power fc in ways of fuel economy.... its what you need nowadays.

i guess i could go back to place "x" but i am generally unhappy with the result of 200kw @ 17psi, poor economy, & bad cold start tuning. This is the reason for getting place "y" to have a look at the car, give it a run on the dyno and tell me their thoughts.

all well, thanks for the responses ppl, ill let time figure out what im gonna do... its gonna sit in the shed over the silly season anyway, there are cops everywhere this time of year!

it seems black is the new white, and imports are the new copbait

its not that a power fc would fix the problem, i think the microtech just needs a remap, its just that the microtech is pretty inferior to the power fc in ways of fuel economy.... its what you need nowadays.

i guess i could go back to place "x" but i am generally unhappy with the result of 200kw @ 17psi, poor economy,  & bad cold start tuning. This is the reason for getting place "y" to have a look at the car, give it a run on the dyno and tell me their thoughts.

all well, thanks for the responses ppl, ill let time figure out what im gonna do... its gonna sit in the shed over the silly season anyway, there are cops everywhere this time of year!

it seems black is the new white, and imports are the new copbait

hey mate where are u from? can u PM me the name of the dodgy tuner if u r in Perth, cause ive had a few issues too with lean AFR's.

cheers

Brad

Where was that tuned?

I'm sure Shaun @ Boostworx would get the Microtech running sweet, he knows them backwards, look at Freebaggins R33, 300+rwkw out of that, with a Microtech

Looks very lean too me, might pay even to take it somewhere else and do a run and see what AFR's it has on another dyno, could be the calibration of the O2 sensor is a bit of?

Looks like its running some decent timing, making 200+rwkw, so if i was detonating, Im sure you'd know about it

i know it sounds gay but im not gonna say where it was simply because Adelaide is too small... i dont know anyone on here, and i dont know who could potentially have a read. A lot of the time people will generalise from one persons bad experience and then the chinese whispers start....

but yer, i have heard that Shaun @ boostworx is good and reasonably priced. It may pay to just get the microtech tuned! still havent heard of testimonys of good experiences with microtech on something that isnt a rotary.... ooooo i said rotary....stoopid lawn mowers