SAU Community

Dyno Proof!

QRI05E

Those are interesting results that you have there.

My car made 164.9rwkw on Mercury's Dyno with the following mods only:

*3" Dump from turbo, into stock pipe 2 inches??? This is what I was told by the guys from the shop?

*Standard Cat

*3" Mandrel the rest of the way and a 4" Canon.

And on the intake side, a Apexi Power intake pod (not enclosed, naughty me)

And the guys said my car would benifit greatly from the type of dump you are talking about and a highflow cat, now it looks like that is what I'll be doing next.

Importantly however, comparing my dyno sheet to yours, it seems yours has a bit more 'meat' throughout the whole range before reaching the peak power.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, i can post up my Dyno sheet for anyone who would like to compare my results to the above results.

I don't know how much use it would be, quantifying different results on different cars, but it may be of interest to someone.

Hey guys, most of you have the right idea about the split dump, most importantly, the drop in kw on the dyno was only between 6500 - 7000 RPM this was due to the stock cams. i have since reset my ECU and it feels even better on top end.

BHDave: its a full 3" system with high-flow CAT... read the original post for full details...

If anyone is intrested in this setup... for R32, R33 and R34 contact Jimmy at Liverpool exhausts.... tell him Sarkis sent you.. and for the Dyno and ECU tuning contact Adam at Just Engine Managment.. These guys are the best of the best and look after their customers!

www.justenginemanagement.com

www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au

There both located in moorebank NSW

Regards,

Sarkis

Edited by QRI05E

QRI05E - great results, what did it end up costing you if you don't mind - can you break it down..

also - you will notice with the freer flow of air boost is up ~0.5-0.8psi to redline from approx 5,000 to redline.. This would also help I would imagine..

Am definately interested in getting something like this done on mine and with the turbotech bleedvalve should make a decent difference..

Would probably reset the ECU straight away and let it relearn..

Edited by Links

So you gained 10 from the exhaust and another 10 from the revised dump. Sounds more reasonable, though there is still some conjecture about the performance of the short split dump at higher power (as in the bolt on replacement dump) vs the one piece as shown by mafia.

Thats the main thing i'm asking as the drop off as shown on the graph could well be a sign of the top end choke commonly associated with these type of dumps and may well be more pronounced when you start making more power.

Edited by BHDave

We then took it back to the work shop and fitted a single 3" dump, CATCO 702cfm CAT, 3" mandrel bend exhaust with 6" cannon...

From what I gather.. 3" split dump, 3" front, 702cfm CAT, 3" exhaust..

leads me to the same conclusion - you are saying you have a full 3" exhaust and highflow cat.

Edited by Links

Yes... both Dump pipes were tested with full 3" exhaust and highflow CAT... however the first dyno run was completely stock except for the 3" front pipe that came with the car from japan so most likely if i had a 2" front pipe too it would of been around the 140rw/kw stock therefore approx 24rw/kw increase from the split n full 3" setup. But due to the 3" front pipe the car made 144rw/kw stock..

Just a note: My split dump pipe and front pipe are one piece same as the pictures posted...

In regards to the price, every car will vary depending if you want HPC coating, mildsteel/stainless, type of CAT, type of muffler/cannon.. If you contact Jimmy at Liverpool Exhaust and tell him Sarkis sent you, he will package an exhaust set up and will look after you price wise...

Regards,

Sarkis

Evan R33,

The CES dump pipe illustrates exactly what I was getting at.

They have chose to join the wastegate in on a straight section of the exhaust, not a bend and especially not the outer of a bend.

Exhaust gas has intertia just as everything else does, once its moving in a direction it doesn't like changing.

By placing the merge on the outer of a bend your creating turbulence as the exhaust gas hits it and tries to turn a bend.

Thats the way I visualise it with ZERO knowledge of flow dynamics, could some one possibly clear this up that does have knowledge of flow dynamics???

Hey Arkon, The only thing that might need modifying would be the flange on the split dump.. i have seen an R33 in the workshop with a Garret T04 high-flow running 25psi with the same split dump i used and the flange was modified to fit the turbo housing... and it worked a treat on the dyno... The only time the dump pipe will have to be remade is you put a high mount manifold.... otherwise if the standard manifold is used, the same dump can be used... hope that answered your question...

Regards,

Sarkis

Edited by QRI05E

So you gained 10 from the exhaust and another 10 from the revised dump. Sounds more reasonable, though there is still some conjecture about the performance of the short split dump at higher power (as in the bolt on replacement dump) vs the one piece as shown by mafia.

Thats the main thing i'm asking as the drop off as shown on the graph could well be a sign of the top end choke commonly associated with these type of dumps and may well be more pronounced when you start making more power.

I have absolutely no doubt at all that a bolt on split dump will perform better than the stock item. If any of you have a look at the stock item, it is basically flat and perpendicular to the wastegate opening. The link posted below has pictures. This would cause the wastegate gases to merge with the exhaust gases at 90 degrees. Definitely very restrictive.

If you look at the stock frontpipe, it's actually a reasonably designed pipe. Up to the limits of the stock turbo, changing the dump alone (without changing front pipe) should eliminate restrictions.

Best bargain upgrade would be to just change the dump to a split item, which is cheap e.g. for sale atm:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...topic=97734&hl=

compared to the price of a full split front/dump for 450 from batmbl.

Is that in comparison to the other dump that is for sale in the link above?

Or you mean in comparison to the entire dump/engine pipe combo?

I was referring to the link in particular not the entire combo pipe that batmbl sells.

Edited by RB30-POWER