SAU Community

Fluids for a GTR?

Ethan_R32

Hi guys,

i know this has been done to death before, but I am just after the main fluids to use in a GTR (oils/diff oils/brake fluid etc)

When I searched for it, I didnt come up with much.

Could you please give me an idea on most of the fluids I should change and what to use?

I was thinking just Mobil 1 for engine, and Castrol VMX 80 for gearbox (worked a treat on my GTS-T)

Not sure for diffs and brake fluid.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by GTS-4-Freak

Dont use Redline... Ive heard some bad thing about that Brand.

WTF? I'd be changing that don't to a do. What exactly have you "heard"?

I've been using Redline for a while now (both diff & g/box) & after a number of fluid changes I've NEVER had an issue with it. Nor has it caused any problems! The g/box shift quality improvement after switching from VMX80 was bloody impressive!

I've used VMX80, Motul , Redline Shockproof & one or 2 other minor brands, Redline has been by far the best.

Barks (Ethan_ R32),

I'd go so far as to say if you use Redline Shockproof in your g/box you *may* avoid failure of 3rd gear as you start to increase the power levels.

Failure of 3rd in a GT-R g/box I hear you saying??? Ask most workshops with GT-R experience & they'll tell you how many modified GT-R's (500hp & up) have blown 3rd gear. A multiplate clutch & grippy tyres will only increase the chance of failure. A good friend of mine just recently had 3rd let go whilst attempting to run a 1/4 @ Eastern Creek in his R33 GT-R (310kw @ wheels).

You have to be careful "which" Redline you use for the diff. A number of the Redline gear oils don't contain LSD additives. You can buy a seperate Redline LSD additive to use with any of the non-LSD gear oils. For a road car it's better to use a dedicated LSD oil.

I run Redline 75/90 (LSD) gear oil in the diff. As it says on the Redline site, you can use their non-LSD gear oils in LSD diff's for racing applications to increase lock-up & reduced wheelspin. Not recommended for a road car! That's probably why your diff behaved the way it did BoOsTeD_RB26.

Barks,

I'd recommend you run Shockproof "Lightweight" in the box ("Heavy" if you intend pushing the stock box hard over the 1/4) & 75/90 gear oil for the diff's.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm