SAU Community

Blue Smoke

conan7772

My 2001 M35 with 115,000 kms occasionally blows blue smoke on start up.

Only on cold starts too.

Also the other day going down the Roseville bridge , I saw a bit of blue smoke briefly.

Engine seems healthy, starts and drives beautifully, plenty of power.

No smoke on accelleration or decelleration..

Turbo is quiet, no signs of noisy bearings, just the normal whistle.

Signs of a dying turbo ?

From what I've read, stock turbos only last around 120k on average.

Or maybe something with the engine?

Or Maybe wrong oil, (too thin) ?

Any thought ?

thanks...

Edited by conan7772

A turbo can and should last the life of the vehicle, unless your hammering the shit out of it !! This bull shit about replacing them is just that BS unless there is actual physical internal damage to the turbine fins, some turbo's use roller and some use slipper bearings that rely on good oil pressure as they literally run on a film of oil like a hovercraft and once the engine is stopped the reason why you hear a slight noise as the turbine slows to a stop. There may be a need to replace the bearings and seals yes but replace the Turbo that is just false economy!!

Is the smoke continuous when cold or in puffs? and you say only cold ! ie overnight stop or parked for a bit when out and about ? as that can indicate that you may have the potential for a valve guide/s being a little worn or some something as simple as stem seals. while annoying is not life threatening to the engine.

I run a Multigrade 10W-50 Synthetic designed for Turbo applications from Penrite So yes Oil could be a consideration,

Change it to a heavier grade or even a straight 40W as a test. if there is no smoke then you could well have worn guides, rings or other areas where the thicker oil can't pass There can also be oil leaking past the Carbon face seals in the turbo until it's warm that is giving you smoke too.

Edited by MozzMann

lol.

It's ok, it's just the PCV oil running down inside the plenum and sitting on the valve overnight. Shelberight Alex. ;)

I'm so sick of "Know it all's" like you popping up and telling people the wrong things... :rolleyes:

Alex; please listen to Scotty; disregard all the other "opinions".

Keeps the cash in your pocket a lot longer.

• Like 4

A turbo can and should last the life of the vehicle, unless your hammering the shit out of it !! This bull shit about replacing them is just that BS unless there is actual physical internal damage to the turbine fins, some turbo's use roller and some use slipper bearings that rely on good oil pressure as they literally run on a film of oil like a hovercraft and once the engine is stopped the reason why you hear a slight noise as the turbine slows to a stop. There may be a need to replace the bearings and seals yes but replace the Turbo that is just false economy!!

Is the smoke continuous when cold or in puffs? and you say only cold ! ie overnight stop or parked for a bit when out and about ? as that can indicate that you may have the potential for a valve guide/s being a little worn or some something as simple as stem seals. while annoying is not life threatening to the engine.

I run a Multigrade 10W-50 Synthetic designed for Turbo applications from Penrite So yes Oil could be a consideration,

Change it to a heavier grade or even a straight 40W as a test. if there is no smoke then you could well have worn guides, rings or other areas where the thicker oil can't pass There can also be oil leaking past the Carbon face seals in the turbo until it's warm that is giving you smoke too.

Cool story bro.....

^ 4 ^5 Well if people don't want some educated mechanical input I shall cease .

It was almost unrecognisable as helpful advice, and easily identified as an uneducated rant.

Your informed debate on turbocharger life bears no resemblance to the reality of Stagea turbocharger ownership; especially NM35's. Turbos on this particular car routinely fail between 100000 to 160000km.

The Japanese service schedule actually requires replacement of the turbo at the 10000pkm service.

This could certainly not be misconstrued as "The life of the vehicle".

Using excessively low viscosity oils in such a close tolerance engine is also a very bad idea.

Assuming you know how these engines behave based on previous experience, routinely ends in tears with this particular engine.

There are a number of people in this forum who can be trusted implicitly, as their knowledge is absolutely second to none; I wouldn't be following yours based on what you've said so far.

• Like 4

It was almost unrecognisable as helpful advice, and easily identified as an uneducated rant.

Your informed debate on turbocharger life bears no resemblance to the reality of Stagea turbocharger ownership; especially NM35's. Turbos on this particular car routinely fail between 100000 to 160000km.

The Japanese service schedule actually requires replacement of the turbo at the 10000pkm service.

This could certainly not be misconstrued as "The life of the vehicle".

Using excessively low viscosity oils in such a close tolerance engine is also a very bad idea.

Assuming you know how these engines behave based on previous experience, routinely ends in tears with this particular engine.

There are a number of people in this forum who can be trusted implicitly, as their knowledge is absolutely second to none; I wouldn't be following yours based on what you've said so far.

What these aren't just like an rb? Sheeiiitt

• Like 1

^ 4 ^5 Well if people don't want some educated mechanical input I shall cease .

As daleo has said you have proven to have no knowledge about this car, your post in this thread plus the other threads you have attempted to display your almighty knowledge apon have shown you may need to sit back and read for a while before trying to hand out your miss informed information

• 2 weeks later...

And prey tell WHAT makes you the resident expert ?

I am not saying I am the resident expert, but I have spent a hell a lot of time and money modding my M35. So I may have a little knowledge.

What I do know for a fact is that what you have said in this thread regarding changing viscosity of oil will affect the variable cam as it has a major part to play in the way they work. I also know as dale has said above that the stock turbo is listed as a replacement part for the 100k service as a directive from nissan them self. So unless these cars are only meant to last 100k I am pretty sure they aren't designed to last the life of the vehicle. This along with some of your other comments regarding how the 4wd system works which was very very wrong shows me that you have no idea and should probably learn about what you are talking before going on crazy rants and giving out terrible advice.

Edited by Brick

Normally when I join a forum; I don't start ranting at guys who've been there for years, as it generally makes you look a bit foolish.

If Mozzman has some useful information, or maybe some first hand Stagea experience to offer; I'll be happy to check it out.

Generalised ranting doesn't really impress me much; actual knowledge does.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yer, I wouldn't be doing that on the VQ though. Idle relearns are a little more difficult on the M35. Just let it burn, it's what the manufacturer wanted it to do, must be for emissions. lol.

OK have to re-visit this issue, smoke getting worse, more frequent and more of it.

Mainly on decelleration.

Haven't seen any on start up for a while and seems clear onn accelleration.

Again, turbo sounds good, spools up fast and is boosting nicely.

Does the PCV really allow this much oil to vent normally ?

Another thing to mention is this car has a straight through Jasma exhaust with Scotty dump.

Maybe as there is little or no back pressure, the PCV sucks oil ?

Any thoughts ?

cheers

If the PCV is faulty it may be causing oil to be sucked into the plenum, but more likely the rear bearing in the turbo is on it's way out. You could probably check it by dropping the PCV hose to the ground temporarily and blocking the plenum fitting to bypass the PCV.

I would say 'drop the dump' and check the shaft play on the turbine wheel, but that's quite a job in these. When you say the turbo sounds good, I assume it has that standard M35 turbo whine?

What grade oil are you using? Do you know the legitimate K's on the engine?

yep stock turbo.

I've driven 5 in all so the sound is normal, quieter if anything.

Boost is good, mixtures are still good, hardly any smoke whilst hard accelleration and it's black .

If the turbo is going, wouldn't it leak under boost ?

113,000 kms genuine.

not sure of oil as previous owner was doing changes and he can't remember what grade.

What grade should it have ?

Faulty PCV sounds like a good place to start.

Performance and idling is perfect though.

cheers

Edited by conan7772