SAU Community

Blue Smoke

conan7772

Hmm ok replaced the pcv with a new one and the problem still exists, but as not as much.

Again., oil is sucked in on coasting down long hills, then big plume of blue smoke on accelleration.

I saw back in a 2010 thread, JDM_spirit blocked off his pcv ,the problem went away and the car performed normally.

So I'm gonna try it too.

I'm burning 1 litre of oil every 5-6 weeks.

My mechanic does think it's the valve stem seals and told me to start saving up.

I do not like the sound of that..

He pointed out it's common for cars around 10 years old or more that have sat around for long periods of time.

The seals are neoprene and dry out.

The previous owner said he hardly drove it in 6 months as he had a company car.

Then additionally the time she's been on the boat coming over from Japan.

Anyone here done their seals or guides ?

Would like to have an idea before I commit.

If the head has to come off I may as well swap over the turbo at the same time.

cheers

Turbo's with ruined rear bearings will sometimes blow smoke on decel. Can you drop the dump and see how much play the turbine wheel has? More likely that than the stem seals, but who really knows until someone picks up a wrench...

Yeah true, wish I had more time to tinker myself.

Another thing to consider is the oil only seems to enter when the car is facing down hill, driving and parked.

If I park facing up hill, there's never any smoke on start up.

Where's the pcv, toward the front or back ?

cheers

Turbo's with ruined rear bearings will sometimes blow smoke on decel. Can you drop the dump and see how much play the turbine wheel has? More likely that than the stem seals, but who really knows until someone picks up a wrench...

Yeah but wouldn't the oil immediately enter the manifold if it's the turbo bearing.

So there would be smoke whilst rolling downhill or gearing down and there isn't.

Only once I touch the accellerator.

It's like the head doesn't drain quick enough when going downhill.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Yeah but wouldn't the oil immediately enter the manifold if it's the turbo bearing.

So there would be smoke whilst rolling downhill or gearing down and there isn't.

Only once I touch the accellerator.

It's like the head doesn't drain quick enough when going downhill.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Your symptoms are typical of oil getting past the rings, although the valve stem seals are still a possibility. How about doing a compression test and/or a leak-down test?