SAU Community

R33 Gtst Head Unit Install. Help!

dtrants

Hi all!

I have looked through the forums and can't seem to find what i am looking for (also can't find anything i can understand well :sweat: )

A friend of mine had a head unit sitting around at his place and seeing as my current one doesn't have AUX connection capabilities i want to install it in my car. Im in need of a new project to attempt but have read that i might be able to buy adapters so i can avoid having to wire it in myself? I am new to all of this so was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. i have attached photos of the head unit, and the wiring that came with.

Sorry for the newbie question, but have decided to finally try and learn how to do it!

Thanks guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

post-143266-0-07835400-1463377296_thumb.jpg

post-143266-0-63794100-1463377303_thumb.jpg

post-143266-0-41011700-1463377311_thumb.jpg

Something like this:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-Wiring-Harness-APP0120-to-suit-Nissan-1995-on.aspx?pid=224825#Recommendations

But you would need to wire the existing wiring into an audio ISO male connector like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MALE-ISO-CONNECTOR-wiring-harness-adaptor-cable-plug-lead-wire-APP7201-AWH7201-/260670947723

This is assuming that the existing headunit connector/plugs are present.

GTofuS-T: thanks for the reply!

If I was to try and wire it up myself are you able to give me an idea of how to do that? I found a good diagram online to show what each wire is for and where it goes. Just don't know which of those two adapters I would need to do that. Would appreciate the help!

And just to confirm, when you say 'existing wiring' do you mean the head unit wiring or the car wiring?

I meant the car wiring, for example one of my cars had never been touched, so i could unplug the OEM headunit and plug the car wiring plug in the Supercheap plug I linked above, which converts to ISO, I was then lucky enough to have bought a head unit that came with ISO plug that would plug directly into it.

It looks like your headunit wiring is just wires at the end, so you would need the second plug i linked from eBay to wire up to the headunit wires that would then plug into the ISO to Nissan adapter into your car. like so: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/34/ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg/220px-ISO_10487_connector_pinout.svg.png

HOWEVER:

If your car already has an aftermarket headunit in it, then it's likely that someone has already cut and wired in the current headunit so you won't have the nissan plug and will have no need for the Supercheap Nissan to ISO adapter.

The actual wiring itself you'll need to just research I guess, off the top of my head REd is 12V Ignition, yellow is battery, black is ground, grey and white are usually the speakers, but exactly which speaker is which will take some testing.

I'd say first step is to remove the headunit that's in your car and see what the wiring situation is behind there. Oh and watch that MCM video, I'm sure that will help.

Thanks a lot for the replies! I will pull out the old head unit tomorrow and see whats going on back there tomorrow. Might try and install the new one on the weekend, will be good to have music again! Appreciate the replies, very helpful :thumbsup::thumbsup: