SAU Community

A few questions for you 35 owners.

A few questions for you 35 owners.

- I know sound is subjective and also hard to really rate via youtube clips and the like, but is it just me or does the 35 sound really underwhelming even with an exhaust? 

- For those of you with a MY11 onwards, what sort of gearbox issues are you seeing, if any?

- For people with at least an exhaust, intakes, tune etc, what sort of power are you seeing and how does that fair against similarly powered earlier model GT-Rs - does the gearbox really make up for the extra kerb weight? 

- For anyone who's had a 34 and a 35, what are the pros and cons of each in your eyes. 

Edited by ActionDan

• 3 weeks later...

- I know sound is subjective and also hard to really rate via youtube clips and the like, but is it just me or does the 35 sound really underwhelming even with an exhaust?
 It all depends on what exhaust you have. There are so many exhausts available now i suggest going to a meet beforehand. Some are obnoxiously loud, some sound like trumpets, and some sounds really good. I personally have the Powerhouse Amuse 90mm Titanium Exhaust and Midpipes and it is a very nice exotic sounding exhaust. 

- For those of you with a MY11 onwards, what sort of gearbox issues are you seeing, if any?
I have a MY12, and when my car was stock none. But once you go to full bolt on and E85, expect the clutches to start slipping first. This is around the 400kw mark. To be safe save $10-$15k for a gearbox upgrade with clutches etc. or dont run E85. Less issues with MY11+ Gearboxes than MY08-MY10 due to slight gearbox upgrades from f

- For people with at least an exhaust, intakes, tune etc, what sort of power are you seeing and how does that fair against similarly powered earlier model GT-Rs
I have gone from stock to FBO. Catback doesnt add power - but it does help with weight. Midpipe, Downpipes, Intakes, Injectors, Fuel pumps will see you around 380kw ATW and will destroy even higher powered earlier model GTRs. 10.6sec 1/4 times easily achievable. Its all in the way with the power delivery and the great traction. 

- does the gearbox really make up for the extra kerb weight? 
Yes it does. I do miss driving manual sometimes but im getting older and sitting in traffic riding a clutch in Sydney sucks balls. I rather just switch to M mode and play with the shifting myself when it calls for it. 

- For anyone who's had a 34 and a 35, what are the pros and cons of each in your eyes.
Very subjective question, each to their own. I have driven both back to back, and i would prefer the R35 any day. The owner of the R34 prefered the R35 too :) Its just newer, feels nicer to drive etc. The only downside i would say of the R35 is not driving manual (i miss it *SOMETIMES*) and the stupid "GTR TAX" which comes into play for this model when you want to start modifying it.

Thanks for the solid feedback. 

The issue with exhaust notes is there are exactly 0x R35s locally, I think I own the only R34 GTR as it is. Can always head to Melbourne for a meet though.

E85 isn't available at the pump here currently, but I get it from another town nearby for my 34 :D It seems the best way to handle trans issues is just have the money handy and accept it's a "when" not if. My main issue is again, nobody locally can deal with it. I'd be off to Melb, maybe Race Pace.

I don't drive my R daily, so the hassle of manual in traffi is not an issue for me, plus I'm not in the city, but I get your point re ease of use and performance. 

Would you still prefer the R35 over the 34 if you were only driving it twice a month? Subjective as you said.