SAU Community

Buying A New Car... Opinions Wanted

Pol_Boy

i reckon u can get away with a turbo car easially.

keep away frm cops and u wont have problems. and dnt go drawing attention to urself. dnt go poping off burnouts in carparks..remember its the picky NSW P platers that ruined it for the rest of ya.

dnt draw cops out u wont get caught..

get an liberty wagon :P

It doesn't matter how you drive if you come up to a random breath test. They are just that: RANDOM. And if they see a p plater in a skyline, they will look over it, no doubt about it. If he lives in NSW, he will loose his licence if he get caught, so it really isn't worth it. May as well just wait a few years.

If you're in NSW the best buy would probably be a VS commodore. They are quicker than most n/a skylines, especially r32s. They have the ecotec engine but without the weight of the VT. Also have IRS, so they don't handle too badly.

im in the exact same situation. but i heard they give u a permit to drive the car if say it is the only car u are available to drive.

This rule is to allow people to drive their parents car, if the only car their parents own is on the prohibited list. Or they live in rural areas, or need a certain type of car for work. From what I have heard these permits are extremely hard to come by, even with a very good excuse. You can not expect to get one by telling them that this is the only car you have. They will say that its your bad luck. Or more accurately, they will say that its your own stupid fault for buying a car your not allowed to drive.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say you’re not going to do anything to attract attention so why would you need a turbo. The NA can get you from A to B just as well as the gtst.

don't bother buying a non turbo skyline.

they are shit.

don't care what anyone says.

you are young, inexperienced, and need a car.

get either a corolla, liberty GX (LX is front wheel drive, gx are 4wd which you can easily get an RS Turbo engine for it later if you wish).

if you must have a skyline, then get an AUS delivered R31.

it's a 3L and has plenty of torque to get you around.

if I was in your shoes, I'd get a twin cam corolla and 3 years later once off your P's, and with all the money you saved on petrol and fines and defects, get a skyline gtst or GTR if you can afford.

NA import skyline = shit

Yes the law says no turbo for you and it's that way for many valid reasons, not just as an inconvenience for young guys who think there shouldn't be an issue with going from riding a bicycle to a turbo charged car.

Do the right thing mate, what a lot of people here seem to overlook re: driving restricted cars on P's is the fact that if you have an accident driving an illegal car you are not covered by insurance...your policy would be voided. Sounds expensive just thinking about repairing your own car hey? now think of paying off damage to a strangers car if you happened to hit someone else..bad hey, now add some personal injury for yourself paying for your own treatment and rehab and last of all don't forget what would happen if you injured someone else or worse killed them.

Basically it's a pretty good plan to stuff your life up very effectively on almost every level. Don't do it and anyone that advises you differently needs to have their head removed from their a55.

you are not covered by insurance...your policy would be voided.

sorry, but its not that black and white.

several members have been paid out ( one member in particular has been paid on 2 seperate occasions) driving cars not legal for them to drive...and the person being paid out twice driving a heavily modified one too.

So the assessor is a bigger moron than the guys that had the accidents then? How they ever let that slip through I'll never know. Legally it's not a "grey" area at all. It's quite clear cut, if there was a personal or 3rd party damage/injury involved maybe they might have looked closer or if they'd made the mistake of giving the policy in the first place they possibly had some legal obligation, if that was the case I doubt they'd make that mistake again.

If you're in this situation yourself I hope you don't get to test the law with a 3rd party injury suit or similar...you'll lose.

You can tell as many anecdotes as you like but that is how the law stands, it's not open for interpretation. I don't understand how people give it's ok so long as you can get away with it kinda advise on a public forum, It's illegal plain and simple. If you choose to take such a large risk with your own future that's up to you but to tell other it's ok np's, you can get away with it so long as your smart (got oxymoron) wtf is that?...

I advise anyone sensible enough to listen not to take the risk.

Although I probably shouldn't dispense info like this to young kids (as i could end up messy)......

Here is your loop hole

get your parents to register the GST-T in thier name... (and insurer it... with you as the youngest driver)

claim its the family's primary vehicle and fill out one of these babies.... clicky here

you'll be leagally covered to drive plus covered by insurance as well. (Just remeber that everywhere you drive you will need to take the exemption letter with you or else your stuffed).

I'll have to go with madbung on this one.... although there are alot of examples of insurance companies having no problems acepting claims, I wouldn't put my faith in it.

All you need is one guy looking after your claim to wake up from his/her slumber and realise they don't have to pay this claim... and if they reject your claim.... you don't have a leg to stand on...

So it's great that alot of people have got away with it.... not everyone will and so it's not good advice to dispence...

I'll have to go with madbung on this one.... although there are alot of examples of insurance companies having no problems acepting claims, I wouldn't put my faith in it.

All you need is one guy looking after your claim to wake up from his/her slumber and realise they don't have to pay this claim... and if they reject your claim.... you don't have a leg to stand on...

So it's great that alot of people have got away with it.... not everyone will and so it's not good advice to dispence...

Exactly Archie,

An assessors error is not a legal precedent, take it to a court of law and you will lose

SHit did i say LX.. my bad.. i mean RX.. ahah 2.5L AWD.. very nice car. in more ways than others i would prefer the RS turbo wagon (aus delivered) than my GTR.. but 250k on clock aint appealing.. too soon to rebuild.

RX liberty will flog the socks of ur garden variety commodores.. most likely last longer too.. our GX AWD wagon is at 190+ and i give it so much.. and she still flogs SS commodores.. haha V8s.. esspecially in my touge.

exactly why do u want a turbo skyline.? i reckon they r overrated.. the GTR aint all that. lol

Well... i love my japanese cars especially skyline's and i aint settling for any commodore or corolla because thats just not my thing.

Im after a car that will last me for a few years and that i can still enjoy n make good use of.

Atm im deciding over 2 diferent cars the NA R32 or the NA 300zx. The 300 would be a lil quicker than the gts and an ok car to cruise in but i hear they have alot of enfine problems n am not up for paying shit loads of $$$

haha thats an understatement. basically both cars r shit. VQ engines r piss to work on. expect large labour bills.

u knw subaru r japanese too. skylines r great. but ther is better out ther.

wasting ur money on NA R32 and Z32. only good thing with Z32 is the AFM which u can sell for a few $$$

This has probably been said before, or is not do-able.

But what if you were to 'move' to Queensland. Then once in Queensland, you got a Queensland drivers licence. Then you bought your car, rego'd it at your Queensland address. Then you decided to 'move' back.

It was my understanding that if you already owned the car (registered) or if you came from a state where you have owned the car, they couldn't stop you from having it/driving it?

Or am I completely wrong?

why. because i just got it.. and its nothing compared to my old GTiR.. it still is stock. and handles beaut. now its starting to miss up at 7000+rpm. what could that be? havent changed plugs yet only oil and filter.. still got the japanese ones..

dnt get me wrong GTR is great.. but lacks boot in the ass. think it needs mods..

first need to fix that missing problem any ideas?

why. because i just got it.. and its nothing compared to my old GTiR.. it still is stock. and handles beaut. now its starting to miss up at 7000+rpm. what could that be? havent changed plugs yet only oil and filter.. still got the japanese ones..

dnt get me wrong GTR is great.. but lacks boot in the ass. think it needs mods..

first need to fix that missing problem any ideas?

reduce plug gap to between .7-.8 with our fuel being lower octane than jap fuel it seems to help get rid of top end problems on a stock ecu. Also do an ecu reset if you havent done it already.

if u buy a skyline its gotta have a turbo, dats the hole point of a skyline, otherwise choose a honda. i heard if u have the car in your parents name with their permission its fine for you to drive the car (TURBO skyline)