SAU Community

How Often Do You Hit The Redline/revlimiter?

AlexCim

I know this isnt exactly stagea specific, but you know, kg's .. skylines may not be the same

I rev out first gear all the way about maybe 4-8 times a day, hitting the rev limiter maybe ~2 times a day. I drive maybe 50-70km a day through suburbia (dont go on any freeways)

I know this isnt something to brag about, but i am just interested in how everyone else drives. I still manage fuel economy in the order of 15L/100km

I hardly go past 4.5k to 5k just putting around town.

But highway merges get the rpm limiter, except mine hits 8k rpm as the limiter, which is hard to get used to as my skyline hit it at 7k rpm so was used to shifting as it past 6.5k rpm, still I dont have a need to do that constantly.

I didnt think the power range went through the rpm range anyway? Like doesnt the power band fall off after 6k rpm? Or am I just spouting crap again...?

I usually don't wind mine out much, and most of my shifts are around 3-3,500rpm, especially when I am running low on fuel or driving for economy.

I'm still getting used to listening to the engine to know when to change, and still either changing gears too early or hitting the rev limiter when giving it good run.

I have noticed, though, that my car has a second wind at 5,500rpm. I'm not sure if it's the usual Skyline flatspot being passed, but when my cousin drove it he said that his R33 doesn't give that extra push at those revs.

I hit the limiter whenever it is required. Tend to take it pretty easy the rest of the time as the only thing the 260 wont pass is a servo. Ska, they have the same flat spot its just the weight that makes it more noticeable.

Cheers,

Ken

I must be the only auto driver that gives it to it ey. I am a auto gear-change fanatic, always 1-2-D to go fast, sometimes downshift slowing down to lights etc.

Meh, might as well torture the box while its still available. :(

No your not the only auto redliner. I dont usually like to fang it while in auto as it hesitates on the limiter waiting to change. Usually I have to lift the throttle to get it to kick up a gear, but then you're off the power. Enter tiptronic...lately I pretty much throw it straight into tiptronic and use the steering wheel paddles (the lever is a bit of a useless tool except in TV ads to make it look like your going fast). This way it seems to change when I want and yes, it 's great for slowing down on the gears around town and keeping the exhaust burbling in that sweet spot at 2500-3000.

If there is a down side the paddles it is mid corner when the wheel's udside down.

I normally don't go much over 4000-4500. I to have noticed the flat spot before about 5000-5500. After there it's kinda like the engine's thinking "I'll just give it one last kick to get over the line".

I really confused the auto one day, I was going a a long hill and trying to keep it in O/D, but a car pulled into my lane and slowed me down. I flicked it out of O/D, pulled into the lane he had just pulled out of and floored it. The auto dropped down a gear, bounced of the limiter and promptly shifted back to where it was.

It must have sounded pretty strange to the guy in the other car.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is getting old-ish, and it's not really about a Stagea, but still...

I've just bought (like 1 week ago :)) my first skyline (R33 GTS), which is also my first manual (yeah, i have a manual license, but havn't driven one for like 16 months (since i got my licence i've only driven auto)).

I'm stil getting used to a car that actually has power :) (I'm used to driving a clapped out 1983 Mitsubishi Sigma for the last 16 months), so I tend to drive it pretty hard. Just wondering roughly what rev's u guys would usually change up/down at, both when cruising, driving economically, and when giving it a bit of juice...;)

My dad cut sick at me this morning because he heard me take off last night (hmm... could be sometihng to do with the 3inch exhaust system... ;)) and reckons that I'm gonna blow it up, blah blah, blah... That was revving it to say 5500, maybe 6000 rpm tops. I must note that this was not from a cold engine, i had been driving it about half an hour earlier and so it was still quite warm, plenty of oil around the engine, etc.

The redline/rev-limiter starts at 7000, and i've hit that once (it just kinda 'breaks down' and wont rev any higher, i assume this means that it'a just limiting the revs...), but i would usually rev it out to 6500 at the absolute max.

Because of the exhaust sounding so nice :D i probably rev it a lot harder than if it had a puny little quiet one, but am i going to blow it up? I mean i dont ALWAYS drive it hard, just when i feel like it...hmmm...that tends to be quite often at the moment ;)

Thanks,

Sam.

Tell your dad to f**k the hell off. Seriously. Tell him he's an old man and that he isn't a car expert. That is, unless if he actually knows things, which is unlikely based on his response.

When I first got my car, my stupid 'know it all' dad goes oh yeah, it's gonna have no power until you get the turbo 'cooking'. He goes, nah, it'll be slow too. Taking him for a spin aroudn the block shut his uneducated mouth up quick smart.

Secondly, I normally shift at 2.5k rpm around town. Driving fast in small streets is just stupid.

When doing mountain passes/trackwork, I shift at any rpm, whatever iis required and i'm not scared to rev it.

Okay, a couple of things...

I must stress that i wasnt speeding, the speed limit is 50 in my street, and then it turns into 80 at the end (about 300m from my place), so i was just revving it pretty hard in first as i left, then just let it idle along in second, etc ;)

My dad is like 45, but he used to know a fair bit about cars when he was younger, re-building them, etc...

Am I risking blowing it up? or is revving it this hard occasionally (6500ish tops) okay? I don't usually drive it this hard, just for the tool factor :)

Edited by Samon

They're quite strong engines and can take a lot. What you're doing simply sounds like what they're made for and i wouldn't worry. There's no point revving it out because there's no torque high up and it doesn't even sound good. If you thrash it too much you'll be paying for it later, but once again what you're doing sounds fine.

disclaimer - if your engine dies it's not my fault :lol:

My dad is like 45, but he used to know a fair bit about cars when he was younger, re-building them,etc...
Tell your dad to f**k the hell off. Seriously. Tell him he's an old man and that he isn't a car expert.

It's a sign of how young you are if you think 45 is old! :) I suspect he was just having a go to see if that would make you not make the noise...

..and no, you aren't going to blow it up...

Ian

Ps, if you still live at home, then your parents have a perfect right to tell you to do things their way. If you don't like it, shift out and pay for things yourself, then you have the right to do it your way...

if ya gonna drive it like that .. jus make sure you maintain it with the same passion.

always check ya oil water etc, dont skimp on cheap oils n make sure you change it regulary . I think most peepz with imports change there oil every 5000ks .

If ive been driving it hard n got a free day i change the oil normally bout every 3-4000ks, just some advice from someone who didnt maintain a car very well, just thrashed it n killed it

enjoy ya new toy

..always check ya oil water etc, dont skimp on cheap oils n make sure you change it regulary ..

Absolutely! oil, oil oil! It's why they didn't want to sell these (ie skylines) in the USA, as they don't take care of their cars...

Ian

Hmmmm.. intersting read.. once again - another 2-door'r dropping by to comment..

personally since putting a bleed valve in and keeping the boost ~8psi I tend to not have to push it as hard to get the desired result..

it's accelerating quicker as it's got 8psi rather than 3psi so I hardly go over 4,500 rpm even when giving it a hard hit, i'll maybe change at 5,000.. before the bleed valve.. 5,500 - 6,000 just to get that 5psi/8psi change..

anyways.. yeah.. just because a rev-limit is there doesn't mean you have to use it :D.. a manual is very different to auto though I think, I can change when I want even on full throttle.. anyways.. i'll go hide again now