SAU Community

Air Con Diagnostics For R33

Missinglink

Hi Guys,

I know this has been covered before but i cant find the link.

I am trying to find out how to get my r33 GTS-t air con display into diagnostics mode. I need to check the fault codes to find out what is going on with it. Apparently there is a way to switctch the air con display into diagnostic mode where it will then run through diagnostics and tell you if all sensors etc are working.

Anyone got any info?

Cheers

Climate Control Diagnostics R32 and R33

The climate control has a diagnostic mode.

Enter the diagnostic mode by pressing the OFF button for five seconds within ten seconds of turning the ignition on.

Sensor check

Sensor check is selected by pressing HOT switch (the red triangle) while in diagnostic mode. The microcomputer detects whether each sensor input signal is within correct parameters. The results are displayed on the screen.

If normal, a "20" is displayed.

If abnormal the failed sensor number is displayed. The sensor numbers are as follows:

20 - all is normal

21 - outside air sensor

22 - Inside air sensor

23 - Water temperature sensor

24 - Intake temperature sensor

25 - Sunload sensor (small sensor on the left hand side of the dashboard near the windscreen)

26 - PBR

27 - Refrigerant temperature sensor

This should tell you if any of your sensors are faulty.

Mode door position check

(This is probably not the cause of your problems but it is a nifty self check to play with). While in Sensor check, depress the HOT button again. This will operate the the mode door actuator, and checks the whether the position detection switch is operating. Again the results are displayed on the display.

If normal, a "30" is displayed.

If abnormal the number of the faulty mode is displayed as follows:

30: Normal

31: VENT

32: B/L (Bi level)

34: FOOT

35: DEFROST/FOOT

36: DEFROST

Actuator operation check

By pressing the HOT button while in Mode Door Position check, you can actually send a signal to check the operation of the actuator manually. This is a bit complex, and will be expanded upon when a manual can viewed.

Sensor recognition check

Press the HOT switch again and a "5" will be indicated in the display section. If you press the "AMB" button (R32) or the windscreen defroster button (R33) in this status, the display will show the temperature sensed by each sensor. This will give you an indication also of which (if any) are faulty.

Temperatures will be displayed in the following order (R32):

5 -> Outside air temp -> Inside air temp -> Suction temp -> Refrigerant temp

R33 seems to have a different selection, with three temperatures being displayed.

Obviously if any of these temps seem excessively different from actual temperatures you have a problem!

Calibration

If you depress the fan switch during the Sensor Recognition check, you will go to Calibration in which you can set the difference between the indicated temperature and sensed temperature.

While in Calibration press the HOT or COLD buttons to change the display by plus or minus 3 degrees in .5 degree increments (R32) or 1 degree increments (R33).

Hope that helps :P

• 4 weeks later...

I did the above for a 33 and got fault codes 22 and 25

How do I replace inside air sensor and sunload sensor?

Also, in mode five, I only got two readings 31 and -30 (obviously a problem).

Also, when I went back to step 2, the sensor check, and held the fan switch(like explained to get to calibration) all I got was 22, 25 and then -26. I could access Calibration when in mode 5 (pressing the defrost windscreen button). I wasn't sure how this worked as I could only move the temp from -3 through to +3. Wasn't sure what effect this would have.

The air con itself works fine. My only real world problem is that when I move from 18 to 19 degrees it goes full blast heat.

I imagine fixing these sensors will rectify that.

Where do I start!

Cheers

• 4 years later...

hey sorry about bringing up such an old post....so recently i noticed my aircon is not cold at all...so i did this diagnostic and the numbers i got is 3,4,41,5 and if i scroll to 5 and press the heat button i can adjust settings from -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3 so the question is how do i get my air con cold again?

Cheers

Chi

If im not mistaken the piping should come from the passenger side of firewall along the left chassis rail. up to the radiator. the condensor sits infront of the radiator on passenger side. I could be wrong however fairly certain thats were it is.

• 4 weeks later...

On the drivers side to the upper left of the footrest pedal you will notice a little mechanical box with a plug going into it (has a little cog/gear on it and you can manually turn it with your fingers).

This opens and closes the vents when you switch it. It's that thing.

Edited by PM-R33

On the drivers side to the upper left of the footrest pedal you will notice a little mechanical box with a plug going into it (has a little cog/gear on it and you can manually turn it with your fingers).

yep i got that and sun sensor. damn car.

anyone got ball park figures for these items?

im assuming the position.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Phil, i worked it out via google anyway but atleast its in the thread now for future lol.

Magic1 - Was your car in the light for the sun sensor?

And with the PBR, i took it appart and found that it had sparked out somehow and a little tab had bent from this, bent it back, cleaned it up, put everything back and problem solved :thumbsup:

If its broken then you cant break it anymore from trying to fix it, always worth trying before replacing lo