SAU Community

Kkr Turbos: Anyone Know Much About Them?

Hi all,

Just curious as to know what people have actually experienced with the KKR turbos that HPI are advertising on behalf of Otomoto? I have read somewhere that Otomoto is run by Ben Ellis the editor of HPI so they may be a bit biased towards the outcome, if this info is true. Either way i like their price of around $900 new so i thought id throw it out there to see what people may know.

Basically i want to know as i may need to replace the trubo in my car (R32 Gts-t) as i think it blew up on me yesterday. Cars blowing some black smoke and runs like an absolute dog on boost. Splutters and stalls, wont hold boost and idles badly.

Anyway if i do need a replacement i was thinking of buying new instead of the usual second hand R32 or R33 turbos, but without going over the top and buying a turbo that would require other replacemnt parts such as fuel pump etc. Cant afford to do all that just yet!!

Anyway any help would be appreicated,

Cheers

Laine

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never used these turbos but the testing they did on them in HPI netted them over 250rwkw on their RB24 (And it also took quite a bit of mucking around to make it fit) So you would need new fuel pump ect..For ease of fitting and just having a nice mild upgrade I would choose an RB25 turbo

Basically i want to know as i may need to replace the trubo in my car (R32 Gts-t) as i think it blew up on me yesterday. Cars blowing some black smoke and runs like an absolute dog on boost. Splutters and stalls, wont hold boost and idles badly.

Sounds like a boost leak of some sort. check your intercooler piping before buying a new turbo.

Just checked the pipes and found the culprit. Stupid hose clamp was loose and the rubber sleeve connecting the pipes needed to be moved to make the pipes sit better and let the clamp actually clamp!

Still interested in the KKR turbos though cause my turbo is on its way out. (Overboosted in Japan before getting it here)

Cheers

hear is something they sent me when i emailed them

Hello Scott,

The KKR-480 is $899. We also have a dump pipe available to suit the RB25 for $149 (suits standard or aftermarket front pipes).

To fit it on an RB25 you need to rotate the compressor housing and actuator to point the right way. The actuator rod also needs to be bent and adjusted to suit, while the compressor housing needs around 2mm ground off at one point, where it is too close to the exhaust manifold. You will also need a different bolt for the oil feed and a 2.75-inch V-band clamp. We have a mobile mechanic in Sydney who does the complete installation for $520 including the clamp.

We recently fitted the KKR-480 to an RB24, which made 256kW at the wheels on 1.35bar boost.

Here are some more specifications:

KKR480

T3 twin-port type flange (will suit normal T3 flange also)

Oil-cooled, large turbine housing (around 1.1)

Approx 480hp

Compressor side (similar sizing to smallest HKS GT3037)

Compressor inlet pipe 70mm

Compressor outlet pipe 50mm

Compressor wheel inner diameter 53mm

Compressor wheel outer diameter 76.5mm

12 blades, six 22mm high, six 16mm high

Turbine side

25mm flap-type internal wastegate

71/79mm V-band flange (inner outlet diameter 63.5mm)

Turbine wheel inner diameter 56mm (similar to HKS 2835R)

Turbine wheel outer diameter 73mm (similar to HKS T04R)

10 blades, 28.5mm high at tips

Ben Ellis

OTOMOTO Pty Ltd

45 Mary Pde Rydalmere NSW 2116

Ph. (02) 9898 1655

Fx. (02) 9898 1254

www.otomoto.com.au

but it does sound good im thinking of gettinf one of these

they have a years warenty so thats a good start

you'll find, just like garrett when they have a "warranty" on thier turbos... that its almost impossible to get one replaced under warranty.

i tried with my GT30 when it died due to a faulty cartridge and a bearing letting go. Garrett just told me it was oil starvation and would replace it.

Funny how the new GT30 ran for 8 months after that with no problems <_<

no one has a pic of one installed..... coz looking at the HPi install pics ...i couldnt quite see how the internal gate goes back into the exhaust?

coz they say they used the dump pipe they have to suit on the install.

Yeh ive been hearing a bit of both in regards to the response of them. I have heard they can be a bit laggy but as yet no one can actualy confirm. Some people have said they go alright so i guess anyone out there who has ACTUALLY seen one installed and seen how it goes, help us!!

Cheers for the info scott, i think most of that came through in the latet HPI too so im interested to see the final results of that install after its been tuned.

Regards

Laine

I was pretty interested in these turbos as well, saw that article in HPI. $900 seems to be pretty good to me if it's a winner. From memory they had to make some slight modifications to the wastegate; they had to bend/shift it on an angle, and they also had to file off a bit of the outside. Will wait and see.

"I eated the purple berries.... they taste like burning!"

Yeh they are laggy.. the internal wastegate gasses muffle the rear wheel and come out of a 2.25" exhaust which is just as big as the rear wheel gasses, then what about the wastegate gasses????

hence......... LAG. BIG CRAP. LAG SHIT TURBOS MADE IN CHINA

they cost 140$USD to import straight from chinese manufactorer.

CRAP!

Yeh they are laggy.. the internal wastegate gasses muffle the rear wheel and come out of a 2.25" exhaust which is just as big as the rear wheel gasses, then what about the wastegate gasses????

and how big do you think your average int gated turbo's turbine housing outlet is?

:D;)

Do you even know what your talking about?

Certainly doesnt seem like it from any of your posts which have nothing thats actually factual

Can anyone say CHINA?

Oh also..

THERE IS NO DUMP FOR THE Wastegate flap like Garret and EVERY OTHHER BLOODY TURBO.

These are the specs of the KKR 480 from the manufactorer :)

KKR480

Compressor wheel Turbine wheel A/R

Inducer:76.2

Exducer:52.8 Inducer:65.2

Exducer:48 0.58

Mazda RX7/Nissan RB25

I like tocall these Crap Crap 480Lag HP

post-25684-1137404164.jpg