SAU Community

Running Your Stagea In Rwd Mode

Ska

Whilst this may be true in theory, having driven mine around for a week with a stuffed front driveshaft, I can tell you that the front wheels are under power a LOT more than you would think. I could tell when the fronts were coming on due to the knocking from the shagged uni and I discovered that the front wheels were being driven even at a cruising speed about 80kph.

IMO its only the ratio of f/r that changes with the attesa, not wether the fronts are being turned on and off.

never mind the fact that THE FRONT WHEELS ARE TURNING THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT ANYWAY.

unplug the green plug next to the steering column turn the key on and pump the brakes . THE WAY IT SAYS IN THE R33GTR WORKSHOP MANUAL. have done it with the car on hoist . start it up and put it in gear . no movement on the fronts AT ALL . also your ABS wont throw a major spaz

never mind the fact that THE FRONT WHEELS ARE TURNING THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT ANYWAY.

unplug the green plug next to the steering column turn the key on and pump the brakes . THE WAY IT SAYS IN THE R33GTR WORKSHOP MANUAL. have done it with the car on hoist . start it up and put it in gear . no movement on the fronts AT ALL . also your ABS wont throw a major spaz

This "may" be fine if you have a R33GTR but it is definitely not OK for your Stagea and can result in expensive damage as you will know if you have researched this site.

At your own peril man - Since that post that you quoted was written, it has been discovered that the ATTESSA system sends at least 5% of drive to the fronts at all times (The "knocking" I was referring to was only audible when the front was under drive NOT just while the front wheels were turning)

Can you possibly scan and post where it says that in the R33GTR manual? Because most of us were under the impression that was only the case for the R32 GTR.

It may make more sense looking at the R33 GT4 manual, as that is the same AWD platform as the stagea - not the GTR. You can tell the difference by comparing front shafts (among others)

At your own peril man - Since that post that you quoted was written, it has been discovered that the ATTESSA system sends at least 5% of drive to the fronts at all times (The "knocking" I was referring to was only audible when the front was under drive NOT just while the front wheels were turning)

Can you possibly scan and post where it says that in the R33GTR manual? Because most of us were under the impression that was only the case for the R32 GTR.

It may make more sense looking at the R33 GT4 manual, as that is the same AWD platform as the stagea - not the GTR. You can tell the difference by comparing front shafts (among others)

I have never heard of this either, havent had a 33 workshop manual to know. The stagea runs same 4wd as a 33/34 gtr, the pumps are the same and operate the same, the transfer case pressure on the clutches isnt as strong because of a slightly different design, but the basic operation is identical from what ive found anyway.

So in what world is an R33 GTR the EXACT same as a Stagea? You might needs glasses, as last time I compared the two, there were a couple of differences................

This thread is full of the blind leading the blind.

I believe (but don't know for sure) that pulling fuses can disable the Atessa on R32 Skylines.

I have no idea about R33s

There is a case history in the Stagea section of this forum of someone causing expensive damage to their Stagea by putting it on a two wheel dyno having pulled some fuses but not the driveshaft and have read a convincing explanation of why this happens.

I personally won't be running my Stagea in 2wd mode anytime soon ( I guess I'm lucky there are half a dozen or more 4wd dynos within half an hour of my place).

forgive me if this seems silly or wrong, but i was looking on ebay one day and there was a "GTR front torque controller and RWD/AWD" switch thing that plugs into your gearbox... i dont know if you guys know about it or not, and whether or not it works in stageas aswell, but yeh just thought i'd mention it anyways

EDIT: MY BAD, just read about the product again and it says the 2wd/4wd switch should only be used with r32gtrs and GTS4's......bummer

Edited by BKC34

i disconected plug under dash n went round block with 4wd light flashing and tailshaft still in. mine being a s2 manuel, 1st gear is just wheel spin and second does crazy gearies but that was as far as i wanted to go not being sure if i was doin damage. can anyone confirm that s2 rs4s gear boxes are from 33 gtrs same with diffs?

i test drove a series 1 stagea once and they had a 2wd/4wd button.........why not for the series 2's ;)

Ah no S1's never had a 2wd/4wd button. Maybe the button you are thinkign about is the snow button, or there is the S button that locks in the front diff I think? Yeah but there was no 2wd/4wd button on any model Stagea that I know of, that is as supplied from Nissan.

series 1 had a snow button next to the gear stick (as nearly every farking automatic anything ever made does ) they also had a button on left of steering column that made it 50/50 torgue split . (would axle tramp when turning on a drive way that has excess gravel on it

um ok, well i'm just saying that the switch i saw in this series 1 (pretty stock standard too by the way) was one that "2WD/4WD" written on it, so whether or not that is what it did i dont know but yeh i'm just saying that is wat i saw ok

yeh it was pretty stock standard looking aye, i think it had a turbo timer on it, maybe some tein suspension ( there was a tein sticker on the side skirts lol) umm and it was in cairns, but i believe someone in townsville ended up buying it, it was a silver s1 with dual sunrooves

• 9 months later...

so we are saying 2wd/4wd switches on a 99 RS4 S2 Stag is a big no no ?? Correct ?...

how can you tell if the box is already rooted as it seems to drive really nice n not have any issues when i drove it 2day for about an hour ?

missus is buying one its got a 2wd switch in it the dude 'says' he has only used it once as he never drives it (works offshore, months at a time and switch is only a few months old)

please anyone who has had experiance you words of wisdom will be appreciated...

Im going to call the workshop that fitted the switch in the morning and try and get some info on WTF the go is...

Cheers Trav

Correct do not drive the Atessa equipped car in 2wd mode. If you go back through this thread or perhaps another you will find a report of the damage caused. If you must do it for some reason you have to remove the front driveshaft.