SAU Community

Aircon Unit Will Not Light Up At Night.

jetpilot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Where did u end up getting the new bulbs from? Ive been to 4 different Dick Smith's (W. Mall, Chatswood Big, Chatswood Small and Macquarie) and the only bulbs they have for the "Grain of Wheat" is the 5mm 12v 50mA one which is physically too big for the holder and don't look like the ones in the catalogue?

Thanks!

SNG.

Edited by SNG

Hello,

Where did u end up getting the new bulbs from? Ive been to 4 different Dick Smith's (W. Mall, Chatswood Big, Chatswood Small and Macquarie) and the only bulbs they have for the "Grain of Wheat" is the 5mm 12v 500mA one which is physically too big for the holder?

Thanks!

SNG.

This is what I used when fixing the same thing in my R33, DSE cat no P8140:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/P8140

Yep. I bought some from the store and they're bloody ORANGE! =-///

I have ordered three from DSE online, $3.68 total, and free delivery! They arrived yesterday, and hopefully they are BLUE this time!

Huge box, lots of air-bubbles, and three TINY globes in it. I'm sure the free shipping cost more than the globes did! =-D

ARGH! They're bloody ORANGE as well!

I called DSE online, and the guy reckens the blue-look of the picture is just due to photography, and the part 8130 is clear.

This is what I used when fixing the same thing in my R33, DSE cat no P8140:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/P8140

Hey,

Where these P8140 an EXACT replacement? or a different size? Ive been to 5 Dick Smiths and the P8140 they have in stock are all not exact replacements and are too big!!

How long ago did u get them from them?

The ones in the picture in the link look exactly like the ones i need but just arnt the same as the ones in the store???

Randy, are the ones u ordered online exactly like the ones u pulled out of the car? if they are i may order some online and see if they are the right ones, let me know how it goes please!

Cheers.

SNG.

Yeah, the ones in the store were the right size, and the ones I ordered online were the right size (3mm).

Problem is, they're orange, and the catalog people recken they should be clear. Now I have bright orange buttons. =-/

I've been told by the catalog people that 8130 has yellow wires, and that signifies that the globe lights up white/yellow (lightbulb basically)

Correction! They are 5mm, and this 8130 the guy gave me is 3mm, which will be too small.

Might have to do the LED thing... I don't see any easy way of getting clear or blue out of a bulb. (since noone has them!)

I think the 33 ones must be alittle larger, because the ones i took out of my car are definetly smaller then the ones they have instore for P8140, i measure mine as 5mm height and 3mm width, is this the same dimensions as the ones u took out and bought? The ones they have in store for P8140 are 5mm width and something like 7mm?? or 10mm?? height.

• 1 month later...
I bought them from Dick Smiths. They are called "grain of wheat or rice" from memory.

Have a close look at the holders and you will see that they are just that. They hold these small bulbs in place and make contact.

You will be able to see that the bulb wires are just wrapped around the holder. Just unwrap the old and wrap the new and snip off the excess.

Enjoy!

El Bee

Thanks for ur help Randy.

I bought the pair of globes at Peps auto parts for $ 3.95

The blue caps were melted onto the old globes...so i just put the new ones in as is.

strange as both bulbs blew out at the sametime ...i thought it was a problem with the unit.

But all is well now....

Oh yea when i finishes puttin everything back together the unit would not turn on. I blew the 10Amp fuse under the dash somehow.

I was bangin my head against the wall i thought i had to strip the dash apart again. But luckily i checked the fuse panel first hehehe.

Thanks

Weird!

I'm still looking for a way to make these suckers blue again! I bought some Narva blue silicone caps from autoone, but they're for 5mm globes, and these grain of wheat are about 4mm by my ruler.

Nothing 5mm exists, according to everyone I talk to, so I can't easily use these things. 12v LED's exist in red, orange and flashing red, but not blue. (although I found a taiwanese company who does 12v blue).

I'm going to drop a tiny bit of superglue into the silicone cap, then put the slightly smaller globe in, and hope that it takes and doesn't melt when it gets hot. ARGH!

No good! Too blue! My new demister globe with the old blue cap on it makes the button light up a wicked white. Now my A/C buttons are a dim blue. So blue that you can't see the red "up temp" button.

With no caps and bright orange light, I couldn't see the blue "down temp" button.

I just want a bright white, dammit! =-[

ive been trying to hit the right buttoms in the dark! been failing miserably most of the time. lol. where can i get these lights fixed?! one more thing, is the hazard light button for you guys lighted up as well? it should be..

Weird!

I'm still looking for a way to make these suckers blue again! I bought some Narva blue silicone caps from autoone, but they're for 5mm globes, and these grain of wheat are about 4mm by my ruler.

Nothing 5mm exists, according to everyone I talk to, so I can't easily use these things. 12v LED's exist in red, orange and flashing red, but not blue. (although I found a taiwanese company who does 12v blue).

I'm going to drop a tiny bit of superglue into the silicone cap, then put the slightly smaller globe in, and hope that it takes and doesn't melt when it gets hot. ARGH!

Hi Steve,

I've just bought some 3mm LEDs from Jaycar, in blue. $2.00 each. I didn't realise this thread was here and have started one in the DIY section called R32 Headlight switch and LED replacement. There are pics in there.

@jetpilot: Did you find the blue silicone covers at Peps as well? I'm not sure whether I can be bothered going ahead with the LED option or just replace the little globes.

:(

Thanks for the info, mate... but there are three things that stopped me going down that path.

I have seen the guide on ns.com, but I really didn't think there was enough room to mount a resistor in the holder.

Another SAU guy said that the LED's do not evenly light up the A/C unit in an R33 because the LEDs are so damn directional. Our AC unit has two globes to cover the lot, whereas the nissan silvias appear to have 4 in total.

I want a white light. Having recently replaced the bulbs in my hazard and demister switch, the hazard lights up a wicked glowing white with the original rubber cover on it... so that's how I want my AC unit to be.

Can anyone confirm what an original AC unit lights up like? Does anyone have an original unit that still lights up??

It rather looks like the silvia's have the same globe holder that the skylines have? If so, I might try and buy two of them!

Can anyone confirm what an original AC unit lights up like? Does anyone have an original unit that still lights up??

Mine worked at one point and to me, they had a very faint green tinge to it...and the lighting was quite soft - certainly not bright at all.

Then one of the globes blew, so i replaced it with one of the grain of wheat bulbs from DSE. Even after carefully pulling the little blue rubber cover off the orginal globe intact and putting it on the new globe, one side of my climate control still lights up more orange/yellow than the other side

...looking for a solution too