SAU Community

Australian Drivers

koleka

Sorry - People in Australia can't drive for shit.

Take a trip up the freeway. It turns into 3-4 lanes and you get people sitting on the same speed in all lanes, oblivious to anyone around or behind them.

You get a 2 lane freeway, same thing, everyone ignores the stay left unless overtaking.

On top of that you get people who are too nice. The ones that confuse everyone else because they wave you through even though they have the right of way.. Then they change their minds 1 second later when the other person doesn't go and everyone ends up going at the same time.

People in Aus can't drive - end of story.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's add to this list.

Right lane drivers who refuse to "keep left unless overtaking". This is particularly annoying at night, due to the fact that headlights are aimed down and to the left, which means that if you're one of these right lane drivers, you are burning the retinas of the person in front of you so MOVE LEFT RETARD!

People who don't indicate at all.

People who ignore indicators.

People who don't know how to merge.

People who think that they're being courteous by stopping the flow of traffic to let someone in who doesn't have right of way.

People who push their way in. (see above)

People who are too lazy to turn the steering wheel and travel onto the wrong side of the road to turn a corner.

People who randomly jam on the brakes for no apparent reason.

People who are distracted by screaming kids.

People who shave, apply make-up, do their nails - nose and ear picking also falls into this category.

People who text while driving (I almost got taken out by someone doing this last week)

People who poke out over the white line at T intersections.

People who refuse to "give way to pedestrians".

People who drive around with high beams on.

People who don't understand how zebra crossings/school crossings work.

People on pushbikes who ride across pedestrian crossings. (Newsflash, a pedestrian is someone on FOOT, if you're on a bike, you are considered to be traffic, and are subject to all the same road rules as cars, which means you get off the bike to cross the road, or cross with the traffic)

I'd like to see some road statstics based on ethnicity, but that would be racist, so it's never going to happen.

i agree with at least 98% of all that

Sorry guys but i'm giong to say that I think it's the fact that we have practically NO driver training, it is WAY too easy to get your license these days.

Yesterday I was behind a p-plater who was all over the road, then we got to a roundabout which is blocked off so that traffic cannot come from other directions - there are those big red and white coates hire style barriers everywhere, and the idiot suddenly slams on their brakes and STOPS! I'd like to point out that the visibility in that particular spot is more than satisfactory.

I see so many idiots on the road it is beyond a joke. In my opinion, people either lack skill / training, common sense or they are so far up themselves that they don't give a damn about other road users.

I also think our low speed limits (here in perth) play a major factor in driver's not concentrating. Think about it - when you are going faster, you sure as hell aren't talking on your mobile phone or thinking about your plans for the weekend (or shaving / putting on make up lol). The only thing you're focused on is the road and what is happening around you - You're alert. I'd be interested to see what would happen if a majority of the speed limits in perth were raised by 10km/h, with the exception of school zones.

I doubt it's so much lack of training, it's more a lack of common sense.

I'd love to see the introduction of IQ testing to go hand in hand with licencing.

Stupid people simply shouldn't be able to get behind the wheel of a 2 tonne lethal weapon.

There is also the issue of multiculturalism, a lot of people who live here don't have english as their first language.

This has to be an issue when it comes to reading saftey notices, signs, warnings, etc

....and while I'm here, I want to add more to my list of peeves about the way people act on our roads :)

People who don't know how to read an arrow.

(Main offenders are in car parks)

If an arrow is pointing in a particular direction, the traffic is meant to flow only in that direction.

People who hesitate. YOU ARE DANGEROUS!

People who are first in line at the traffic lights, but would rather play with their doodle (or similar) than watch to see when the lights change, then they get pissed off when you beep them.

People who panic when they see an emergency vehicle coming, and just stop dead, or do something really stupid rather than moving out of the way.

People who have their stereo cranked so loud that they can't hear anything that's going on around them. (see above)

People who don't pay any attention to traffic lights at all and just follow the flow of traffic, oblivious to the fact that the light turned red 10 seconds ago and they're about to get cleaned up by oncoming traffic. (I see this one on a regular basis)

People who are turning right and don't pay attention to when the lights have changed colour and the oncoming traffic has stopped, and you're stuck as a sitting duck in the middle of the road with nowhere to go until the moron moves.

People who sit several car lengths behind the car in front of them at the lights, blocking other people who could make their way into the turn lanes if the 'tards only moved up a few inches.

People who feel it's their civic duty to sit in the right lane to make sure that nobody exceeds the speed limit.

People towing trailers who don't tie their stuff down.

People who have un-belted kids/dogs in the vehicle.

People who allow kids/dogs to poke parts of themselves out of a moving vehicle.

People who fling rubbish out their windows.

People who have dangly/reflective things hanging from their rear view mirrors. THIS IS ILLEGAL FOR A REASON!

People who think that a semi-trailer can stop in the same distance as a Barina.

People who change lanes at traffic lights without paying attention whats going on behind them.

People who change lanes at traffic lights and considerably reduce the amount of time/space that you have to stop.

People who are don't understand line markings.

People who change lanes in the middle of an intersection.

That'll do me for now, but I'm sure I'll be back.

In my opinion, people either lack skill / training, common sense or they are so far up themselves that they don't give a damn about other road users.

Agree with that. Also just to add that what people learn from theories and driving lessons aint enough to prepare them for many real life scenarios that require quick reactions, common senses (like you said) and staying alert most the time on the roads. It's probably a good idea to show everyone before taking their driving tests the graphical photos of horrific accidents caused by silly mistakes, bad attitudes or lack of attentions from other drivers, kind of like whats the anti-tobacco campaign is doing (sorry smokers ^^)

Yes a lack of common sense is a big issue but I think driver training could raise the standards a great deal. When people don't have much common sense, you have to actually TEACH them things, not just expect them to know.

IQ tests, well personally I think they have to be flawed, because they were made by man (meaning human, not targeting males here). At the end of the day alot of important people in our society aren't the brightest sparks - we need people to be garbo's and roadworkers, and they need to be able to get to and from their jobs. Realistically, we'd be screwed without them.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great in theory. Some days i'd love it if we had an annual idiot-cull! But it's just not practical...Our society needs stupid people just as much as it needs highly intelligent people. It's that thing called balance :)

People who hesitate. YOU ARE DANGEROUS!

People who are first in line at the traffic lights, but would rather play with their doodle (or similar) than watch to see when the lights change, then they get pissed off when you beep them.

agreed.

and that shits me. constantly people get in the turning lane, arrow goes green.... they sit there and wait. WTF FOR!

At the end of the day alot of important people in our society aren't the brightest sparks - we need people to be garbo's and roadworkers, and they need to be able to get to and from their jobs. Realistically, we'd be screwed without them.

:)

oh yeah.. i forgot about all the scumbags, where would the world be without those retards that remove our rubbish and build our roads.

Believe it or not, there is actually skill involved in both those jobs which you just tried to belittle. :D

I happen to be one of these scumbags, but just because I don't wear a suit and earn over 50k a year doesn't mean I'm too stupid to know how to drive a car in a safe manner. :)

In fact, if you take a look around, you'll find that the majority of really crappy drivers are the people who are in brand new cars and have money coming out of every orifice. These people are much less concerned about their vehicle and the vehicles around them. They don't care if they hit other people, they can afford to fix it. They don't care if they get caught speeding, or parking illegally, their lawyer can get them off.

Believe it or not, there is actually skill involved in both those jobs which you just tried to belittle. :)

Where exactly did I belittle them...I said they were important people in our society. Those jobs were examples. I thought this was pretty obvious. I guess not...

The point I was making is you can't descriminate against people just because they may be less fortunate in some way or another with the exception of people who are mentally and physically disabled in a way that means they would be dangerous and are unable to obtain a license (by our current standards).

Just because someone may have an IQ of 80 instead of the average of 90, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed a license? I have an IQ of 125, does that make me some arrogant, stuck up person who has money coming out of every orifice, a brand new car which I don't give a crap about and I don't care about other road users because chances are I am intellectually superior to them? No!

That also, was an example. I do not think for a second that what you said was aimed at me. So perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to take things the way they were not intended...I have re-read my post, and I really can't see how you could have taken it the wrong way.

Well from my experience. These are some of the things that stands out. please note Majority of:

Oztralian are very obedian speed wise( bloody single minded money hungry Govt.)

Oztralian are totally untrain and let loose on open roads

Oztralian die at the wheels due to boredome ie. "Speed too low for expansive distance covered."

Oztralian have absolute no idea of high speed manuovers due to lack of experience- refer to first point.

Majority of Oztralian uses car as primary transport.

Majority of Ozzie cars are museums pieces

ADR are too stringents in every areas except safety.(we still yet to implement deccerleration figures)

Aussies are mindless behind the wheels/but courteous when u break down

Euros

Euros slightly better than aussie in car manuovers.

Euros don't die due to boredom on roads

Euros cars fleet are generally newer.

Euro roads are better.

Euros get better drivers training supportted by massive motorsport program

Majority of euros uses public transport as a primary form of transport

Euro are down right rude/bad road manner/ but more skilled

and least of all they're govt. isn't as hungry as ours and the Euros are passionate ppls and locals govt. would never get away with ours does.

Those are just the fews I though of whilse on the dunny.

At the end of the day alot of important people in our society aren't the brightest sparks - we need people to be garbo's and roadworkers, and they need to be able to get to and from their jobs. Realistically, we'd be screwed without them.

...Our society needs stupid people just as much as it needs highly intelligent people.

I don't see how I'm taking your comments the wrong way, you've insinuated that people who are employed in (what you consider to be) scumbag jobs are "stupid people".

I didn't see any reference to politicians or accountants.

The only reference I saw was to the stupid people who need to be able to get to their scumbag jobs.

You say you have an IQ of 125, well that would put you in the upper percentile wouldn't it?

One would assume that someone with such intelligence would realise that a persons profession doesn't have a whole lot to do with the way they approach driving, and simply because someone has a menial job doesn't mean they're stupid and shouldn't be able to drive.

Perhaps if I wasn't one of the "stupid people" I may have some idea of what you were trying to convey?

I don't see how I'm taking your comments the wrong way, you've insinuated that people who are employed in (what you consider to be) scumbag jobs are "stupid people".

I didn't see any reference to politicians or accountants.

The only reference I saw was to the stupid people who need to be able to get to their scumbag jobs.

You say you have an IQ of 125, well that would put you in the upper percentile wouldn't it?

One would assume that someone with such intelligence would realise that  a persons profession doesn't have a whole lot to do with the way they approach driving, and simply because someone has a menial job doesn't mean they're stupid and shouldn't be able to drive.

Perhaps if I wasn't one of the "stupid people" I may have some idea of what you were trying to convey?

Yet again, you have failed to back up what you are saying. You are the one who chose the term "scumbag jobs" and said that I was assuming they were all stupid. Then you make out that I am saying people in these jobs should not be able to drive - learn to read would you?

Again, i'm going to suggest you re-read my initial post that you seem to have been so offended by.

Here, I have copied and pasted a portion of it for your convenience:

"At the end of the day alot of important people in our society aren't the brightest sparks - we need people to be garbo's and roadworkers, and they need to be able to get to and from their jobs. Realistically, we'd be screwed without them.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great in theory. Some days i'd love it if we had an annual idiot-cull! But it's just not practical...Our society needs stupid people just as much as it needs highly intelligent people. It's that thing called balance "

Saying that in general people that work in certain fields aren't the brightest sparks is not saying they are idiots - i'm saying they're not the most intelligent of the pack. I did not even use the word stupid in conjunction with those jobs.

For the record, here I have copied and pasted part of you post, wasn't planning on it initially otherwise I would have quoted it:

"I doubt it's so much lack of training, it's more a lack of common sense.

I'd love to see the introduction of IQ testing to go hand in hand with licencing.

Stupid people simply shouldn't be able to get behind the wheel of a 2 tonne lethal weapon.

There is also the issue of multiculturalism, a lot of people who live here don't have english as their first language.

This has to be an issue when it comes to reading saftey notices, signs, warnings, etc"

Lets not confuse what you said with what I said.

As for "Perhaps if I wasn't one of the "stupid people" I may have some idea of what you were trying to convey?" - how many times do I have to spell it out for you? If you took the time to read my posts properly, it would more than likely explain why no one else has had a problem understanding them....

Edit: Just remembered this bit:

"The point I was making is you can't descriminate against people just because they may be less fortunate in some way or another with the exception of people who are mentally and physically disabled in a way that means they would be dangerous and are unable to obtain a license (by our current standards)."

Edited by randominsanity73

Some days i'd love it if we had an annual idiot-cull! But it's just not practical...

Isn't that what the road toll is for!?!?!?

I still don't get how I can be driving along a straight piece of multi-lane, dual carriage highway, and still see several flower bouquets where people have died in crashes.

Too many people just don't pay attention to the task at hand when they are out driving. I'm pretty sure that the statistics point to Australia in genaral, and Victoria in particular, as having one of the lowest per capita road tolls in the world. Although I still don't believe it bears any relation to driving skill and standards.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great in theory. Some days i'd love it if we had an annual idiot-cull! But it's just not practical

yeh it really does sound like you're turning your nose up at these people.

driving safely has nothing to do with how bright you are, plenty of doctors and scientists are shite drivers. the key to being a good driver is not hitting shit, not whether or not you have a 125 IQ

The point I was making is you can't descriminate against people just because they may be less fortunate in some way or another with the exception of people who are mentally and physically disabled in a way that means they would be dangerous and are unable to obtain a license (by our current standards).

Just because someone may have an IQ of 80 instead of the average of 90, does that mean they shouldn't be allowed a license? I have an IQ of 125, does that make me some arrogant, stuck up person who has money coming out of every orifice, a brand new car which I don't give a crap about and I don't care about other road users because chances are I am intellectually superior to them? No!

This is the last time i'm going to bother. I'm sick to the bone of repeating myself because some of you people can't be bothered reading things properly. Seriously, before you come in with a comment it's best you do your research first.

Kill HSV, my initial contribution to this thread was about lack of driver training and the speed limits being so low that people don't pay attention. It had nothing to do with IQ. SKY031 was the one that said: "I'd love to see the introduction of IQ testing to go hand in hand with licencing. Stupid people simply shouldn't be able to get behind the wheel of a 2 tonne lethal weapon"

Get your facts straight...

Edited by randominsanity73

Well from my experience. These are some of the things that stands out. please note Majority of:

Oztralian are very obedian speed wise( bloody single minded money hungry Govt.)

Oztralian are totally untrain and let loose on open roads

Oztralian die at the wheels due to boredome ie. "Speed too low for expansive distance covered."

Oztralian have absolute no idea of high speed manuovers due to lack of experience- refer to first point.

Majority of Oztralian uses car as primary transport.

Majority of Ozzie cars are museums pieces

ADR are too stringents in every areas except safety.(we still yet to implement deccerleration figures)

Aussies are mindless behind the wheels/but courteous when u break down

Euros

Euros slightly better than aussie in car manuovers.

Euros don't die due to boredom on roads

Euros cars fleet are generally newer.

Euro roads are better.

Euros get better drivers training supportted by massive motorsport program

Majority of euros uses public transport as a primary form of transport

Euro are down right rude/bad road manner/ but more skilled

and least of all they're govt. isn't as hungry as ours and the Euros are passionate ppls and locals govt. would never get away with ours does.

Those are just the fews I though of whilse on the dunny.

I seriously think that the speed we are made to drive at are too slow and people get too distracted/bored/sleepy.

As a prerequisite to obtaining a license, make drivers drive up and down twisty mountain roads in a specified amount of time with unforseen hazards thrown in for good measure. Have a reasonably priced car like they do in Top Gear.

The driver training and the things you have to do and pay attention to at driving tests and/or driving schools just aren't enough to make you a good driver. I've seen tons of people who've passed those tests and can't drive a car for sh1t.

Vehicle control is paramount. Those things they test at driving exams will do you no good at all if the car hits unexpected sand/gravel mid corner, snow, loose surfaces, avoiding a kangaroo at high speed etc.

And all the politicians just go on blabbering about "speed kills"

Well I've been to asia & NZ and asian roads are complete chaos I was surprised that no one died in front of me or behind, but they seem to realise that they ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES ON THE ROAD which seems to be the opposite of OZ tradition, aussies just drive there cars and only stop because they have to, there are good drivers out there but there are more out there divers with no real idea of what they are doing, they should be on public transport and probably want to be but where is it?

I think upping the speed limit to 130 along, say, the hume might be worth a shot. It is boring and I think todays cars handle that speed quite well. I've been on the motorways up and down England a couple of times and think that it seems to work okay going a little faster. At least when it's dry. I remember being a passenger when my mate's learner-driver wife was behind the wheel of a tiny hatch in the rain doing those sorts of speeds and shitting myself.

Oh and I'm not sure how many kangaroos and wombats they'd have running across the roads over there at night...