SAU Community

Painting and Powder coating rocker covers

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ nice engine bay.. wot silver did u use and did u clean/sand the pipes before painting??

Paint stripped all parts, then gave it a light rubb with 320

Spayed them with 3 coats of edge primer, this gave it enough build to remove all grains and edge primer is very easy to rub.

Spray a quick guide coat to sand it back with 800

Applied about 4 coats of silver, then 4 coats of the candy purple (the more coats the darker it gets) and then 4 coats of clear.

My mate owns Xclusive Colours in Smithville so access to this stuff was easy :dry:

The silver used is corse silver mixed with the new Mazda white pearls

The purple I will keep a secret, might be using it on other things. But there's alot of colours and pearls in there to create that colour.

Hey yea when i did my rebuild i saw a really nice gold on these rims and i got the guy to do my covers for me but having seen the purple one on the previous page i am regretting not doing it a custom color shiz!!!!!

I dont mind mine atm no one really does them gold anymore Golden heart for my baby!!! but im having some serious problems with dressing my engine bay up if anyone has some ideas for me plz post its so depressing i want my engine bay to come to life wen i pop the hood i wan colors bit of chrome not so much dullness!

952328092008828.jpgImage Hosting

_K1NGTR_

start with the little things - remove and polish the throttle linkages

paint teh CAS

little bits and pieces til you get to the point of having to tear it all down to get the Plenum and twin turbbo pipes etc etc

BUT!~!!!!!

think of a theme and stick to it .. needs to all work together

yea thanx for that man the cars getting resprayed atm so i should pull little things off here n there. any idea where i can get the chrome pipes from the turbo that everyone seems to have?

you have to take them to get chromed :P or polished

and to replace those big black pipes with alloy ones usually means an aftermarket intercooler kit.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread and looking at some good results I decided to do my RB25. I used Holts MetalCast Anodised Blue, which has some mixed reviews. However I have found the reuslts to be fantastic.

I started with a good prep of sanding with 400grit then 1200 on both rocker covers, cam cover and the exhaust manafold shield. Used a lot of degreaser to make sure the surfaces was right. With the sanding I was back to bare metal in man cases however its hard to get all the little spots. Overall this took about 30min per piece.

I started then with the Hoyts MetalCoat primer, which by itself actually looks pretty good. I did a number of coats within 10min until the items looked perfect. Then I commenced with the color. Overall I did approx 5 coats with 10min of each over with th elast coat being quite heavy. Once they are left to cure, the anodised color really comes up, each bit looks really good however my camera could pic up the shine.

Once its been left for about 1 week I will start with a high temp clear to bring up even more gloss and protection.

Some of the pics from yesterday after I left them to sit overnight, bit of dust already on them! The gloss doesnt show up in the pics, but I can assure you its there in a big way. Need to learn how to use my new SLR!

post-27030-1225755109_thumb.jpg post-27030-1225755121_thumb.jpg post-27030-1225755126_thumb.jpg

^^ good work, i tried doing exactly the same with my parts but found the spray nozzle would dribble at time instead of spraying correctly, ruined the paint with blotches.. doesnt look like u had that problem though.. it does look great when shown in the sun..

^^ good work, i tried doing exactly the same with my parts but found the spray nozzle would dribble at time instead of spraying correctly, ruined the paint with blotches.. doesnt look like u had that problem though.. it does look great when shown in the sun..

hi mate, yeah I read about that but I had no such trouble, you have to press it in pretty hard and contanstly shake the bottle...once you get to the end of the can it can become inconsistant. It doesnt take long to sand back and give it another go..I redid parts of the cambelt cover and it now looks even better.

Just deciding what color to paint the coilpack cover, prep and base coat done already.