SAU Community

Painting and Powder coating rocker covers

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car was going to be off the road for a while so decided to get Craved (Chris) to coat my cam covers. I'm not really into bling so just went for satin black to neaten it up a little. Also cleaned a few other things while I was at it. Thanks Chris!

BEFORE

post-13456-1230353368_thumb.jpg

AFTER

post-13456-1230353425_thumb.jpg

thought I'd throw these up

some spare covers I took the opportunity to have painted the same colour as the car while the kit was being done, is a poor photo that doesnt show the flake etc

newcovers.jpg

covers on the car along with everything else is all polished

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gayness,

hit the sand blaster tonight on some bits, but forgot to take the inside of the cam cover off and the mesh grill under the seperator plate is full of sand, do nissan sell new ones ;)

primer tomorrow, need to look for a red crinkle finish too

post-20826-1236867130_thumb.jpg

gayness,

hit the sand blaster tonight on some bits, but forgot to take the inside of the cam cover off and the mesh grill under the seperator plate is full of sand, do nissan sell new ones ;)

primer tomorrow, need to look for a red crinkle finish too

post-20826-1236867130_thumb.jpg

looks bead blasted, or walnut shelled. much shinier than garnet or AO comes up.

as for that mesh, from the amount i have seen, they appear to be a single flat sheet of mesh folded back on itself and held in place with the steel wire, try removing the wire then stretch it open and degrease and scrub it, should clean up alright for you, then refold and lock back in place.

thanks craved, closer inspection after you message it does look very fixable...

what is a good cleaner for the parts after they are painted to take residue, left over sand etc off???

thanks craved, closer inspection after you message it does look very fixable...

what is a good cleaner for the parts after they are painted to take residue, left over sand etc off???

hose them down and brush them now, then before painting - wash inside and out with prepsol, then proceed to paint.

Chris, do you do paint stripping? want to get my plenum paint stripped. got my R34 N1 Nur engine so it of course already has the nice Nur covers, but the plenum will look weird in black so i want to just have it bare. it would actually probably come up ok after a sand blast or some other kind of media blast.

Chris, do you do paint stripping? want to get my plenum paint stripped. got my R34 N1 Nur engine so it of course already has the nice Nur covers, but the plenum will look weird in black so i want to just have it bare. it would actually probably come up ok after a sand blast or some other kind of media blast.

yeah i've got some good shit for stripping powdercoat that would work, sand blasting puts alloy to an off white so i dont think that would go well with the mil jade :down:

this is how the red crinkle came out, a bit light for my liking

post-20826-1237118333_thumb.jpg

looks good though, those flat (shinier) spots would prob be from not enough paint on them, even coating is the key. nice start!

did you put them in a warm place (sun) once you caoted to help with the wrinkling effect, have seen a few "how to's" for this paint and this has been common requirement

when you guys take the cam covers off, do the steals remain in tact or do you need to replce them when the covers go back on?

i wanna have a crack a doin mine a candy red, like the r34 GTR ones, anyone know the exact name or paint code of those covers? or sumfin very close to it !?

when you guys take the cam covers off, do the steals remain in tact or do you need to replce them when the covers go back on?

i wanna have a crack a doin mine a candy red, like the r34 GTR ones, anyone know the exact name or paint code of those covers? or sumfin very close to it !?

the seal on the R32 comes out in one piece, just cover up and tape the breather holes and the underside.

did you look in the paint code section? high temp paint has sweet fook all color options